Author Topic: Thinkpad X60s + X6 UltraBase  (Read 11408 times)

hakuchi

Re: Thinkpad X60s + X6 UltraBase
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »
Here are couple screenshots for those interested ...

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 05:40:42 pm »
It doesn't work correctly when trying to access it via XCentre widget or by kliketi-klik in file manager (or what ever that is called in OS/2). It does show up when it is inserted when booting but it cannot be accessed. It shows up "Empty" in the XCentre as I explained earlier. I just did test your suggested remove/reinsert and it seems to not work at all. It's not seen anywhere. This is when one uses USB ports on the laptop itself.

When inserted into two ports on Ultrabase, it is recognised, but cannot be accessed. Shows up as "Empty" on XCentre. One can "Check disk" however and all seems to be ok. But there is a twist to this!

When I open up Text Editor and browser through there it is seen right and those files can be touched like a girls in the red-light district ... So something is fishy.

Open an OS/2 commandline session (an "OS/2 window") and enter "dir X:" (where x: is the letter assigned to this drive). If the WPS (the GUI) has been telling you that the drive is empty, then you should get a message saying "The disk or diskette can not be accessed". To fix this, run 'chkdsk' from the commandline (yes, I see you ran it from the GUI, but do it anyway):  "chkdsk X: /f"  When done, try doing a "dir" - it should now be able to list the contents.

Be aware that on OS/2, you must eject a USB drive before physically disconnecting it. Failure to do so may cause the drive to be marked as "dirty" and inaccessible until chkdsk is run. The easiest way is to use the "USB widget" on XCenter (from a commandline, you can also use "eject X:"). Also, be aware that once a drive has been ejected, it must be physically detached and reattached before it can be mounted again. As I'm sure you know from Win, FAT16 is horribly unreliable - particularly on flash drives - so the problem you've encountered is not all that unusual.

FWIW... I wrote all of the install-from-USB stuff in AOS as well as XCenter's USB widget ("RemMedia", by name), so I have a fair amount of experience dealing with this stuff...

Heikki Kekki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 04:34:42 pm »
Be aware that on OS/2, you must eject a USB drive before physically disconnecting it. Failure to do so may cause the drive to be marked as "dirty" and inaccessible until chkdsk is run. The easiest way is to use the "USB widget" on XCenter (from a commandline, you can also use "eject X:"). Also, be aware that once a drive has been ejected, it must be physically detached and reattached before it can be mounted again.
On my system it is not necessary physically detach and reattach drive to mount it again. 'USB widget Refresh' on XCenter usually do the job.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 06:26:30 pm »
Be aware that on OS/2, you must eject a USB drive before physically disconnecting it. Failure to do so may cause the drive to be marked as "dirty" and inaccessible until chkdsk is run. The easiest way is to use the "USB widget" on XCenter (from a commandline, you can also use "eject X:"). Also, be aware that once a drive has been ejected, it must be physically detached and reattached before it can be mounted again.
On my system it is not necessary physically detach and reattach drive to mount it again. 'USB widget Refresh' on XCenter usually do the job.
Rescan in FM/2 does the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:30:15 pm by David Graser »

hakuchi

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 07:34:03 pm »
As I'm sure you know from Win, FAT16 is horribly unreliable - particularly on flash drives - so the problem you've encountered is not all that unusual.

No. Actually I don't. I haven't used winblows for over 20 years but occasionally when I'm not on my own hardware.

FWIW... I wrote all of the install-from-USB stuff in AOS as well as XCenter's USB widget ("RemMedia", by name), so I have a fair amount of experience dealing with this stuff...

So far I have found out that the installation USB stick that I have made following all the instructions and successfully installed ArcaOS with is not accessible by the system.

But I have made another USB stick following the instructions found here: https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/usb/preparing-usb-msd-disks/

(well ... first I had to find the way to make it without DFSee ... but anyway :)

This one is working without any problems. And I made it FAT32.

But for some reason if I plug it into USB ports in the laptop itself it doesn't get recognised. But when I plug it into USB ports in Ultrabase it is. But after it's once recognised I can plug it into the laptops USB ports and it's working all right.

This is after the booting up the system of course.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 07:54:53 pm »
Also, be aware that once a drive has been ejected, it must be physically detached and reattached before it can be mounted again.
Rescan in FM/2 does the same thing.

If you have Lars' version of 'USBMSD.ADD' installed, a physical removal and reinsertion is not needed to remount a drive after it has been ejected. However, on Hakuchi's freshly-installed AOS system with the IBM driver, it definitely is.

hakuchi

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
However, on Hakuchi's freshly-installed AOS system with the IBM driver, it definitely is.

You, Sir, are correct! I haven't been fooling around with anything but updated USB stack, as I was told to do after the installation. I'm a good boy and do what I'm told :D