Author Topic: Community Ideas BrainStorm for 2020  (Read 29448 times)

hakuchi

Re: Community Ideas BrainStorm for 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 12:08:50 am »
For someone who isn't using OS/2 at the moment and you can say is rather new to the system anyways, (Did my brief look into it back in the 90's, but never really run it), but is going to get ArcaOS and install it and go from there I have found a bit hard to figure out software stuffs and such.

I do have killed my braincells with BSD and other Unix as well as toynixes 25+ years so I do have some understanding how things work and can be done very well or very badly. Brief relationships with BeOS and Commodore stuffs and such to mention some.

I really don't know how RPM is implemented in ArcaOS and such. But coming from FOSS world I can see big benefits in such thing. But of course if there is more than one way to do things, like I understood from the earlier posts, it will get messy. It has been tested back in the late 90's in the toynix-world. Anyway as I see it, it would be good, as a community, to achieve a consensus what would be "supported" way to do it and focus efforts to that. If someone want's to do it his/her way, then big boys/girls should take responsibility of their actions. Like there is different methods in use for different distros in toynix-world, but one can still go and break everything by doing stuff non-standard way.

About software one would benefit from the decent categorised list with some more details and comparison to software on other platforms Win/Mac/GNU/etc. than there is in the wiki at the moment. I don't say it's no use, but it's rather hard for someone who has no background to figure out what software would actually be something that one wants to check out. Some of those are nobrainers and need no explanation but there are some that would do with better description. Lists in the wiki are very good but just a bit not-so-new-user-friendly.

For example I tried to find, just now while writing this, Gopher client that I found but now cigar. Tried to search and no. Went through quite a lot, but didn't find it. Was going to point out that that is one of the things that made my day a bit better when I found it last year. And this isn't the first time I have tried to find it after my initial encounter. I came across of it when I just aimlessly wandered around, but since then it's been hiding. EDIT2: And this was it what I was looking for. I just happened to remember that I did bookmark it the second time I was looking for it. https://ecsoft2.org/gopher Could be useful to link these from wiki?

Kinda "suggested programs" list and also split them into "Up-to-date" "obsolete" in order to help new users to find software that they are looking for without going through all of the stuff that are there more or less only because of nostalgia's sake.

All this said, I still want to point out that I shoot out of the dark here. All this might be all good and sound in the ArcaOs at the moment, since I do not know.

These are just my thought of the matter from my quick looks into this stuff.

Anyway, keep up the good work! It's wonderful to see such a dedicated community and sincere will to keep Good Stuff(tm) alive!

H/T

p.s. I will record and document my install on my ThinkPad X60s + UltraBase when I get to that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:18:30 am by Hakuchi »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 03:45:04 am »
Gopher client was discontinued with OS/2 4.5.x, we had a very good client from IBM in Warp V3 and Warp V4 so no one ever bothered writing/porting any other. Now you need an older install to have it and play with ENDLIBPATH to run it as some of the needed DLLs are no longer included. Same with the old Webexplorer, an interesting browser which unluckily is mostly useless in today's web.

hakuchi

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 05:27:24 am »
Gopher client was discontinued with OS/2 4.5.x, we had a very good client from IBM in Warp V3 and Warp V4 so no one ever bothered writing/porting any other. Now you need an older install to have it and play with ENDLIBPATH to run it as some of the needed DLLs are no longer included. Same with the old Webexplorer, an interesting browser which unluckily is mostly useless in today's web.

So you say one can't have that sweet looking GUI Gopher client working with ArcaOS? That's a big bummer I was so looking forward for that one. Oh, well Lynx will do for me then as it's done before and will continue to do so in the future.

I just hope this kind of things would be mentioned on the descriptions of software. I think this might be one good community thing to do, so new users like myself know where we are at the moment and what will works and will not.

If someone would step in and make this Gopher client thingie work, that would be awesome!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 06:00:54 am »
It works fine but you need to get it and some DLLs from an older Warp v3-4 install.
Hmm, today I'm getting TCP/IP error number 10014, whatever that is.

hakuchi

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 06:13:56 am »
It works fine but you need to get it and some DLLs from an older Warp v3-4 install.
Hmm, today I'm getting TCP/IP error number 10014, whatever that is.

Ah. And one can get those DDLs and such easily?

Answer to your question ...

WSAEFAULT
Bad address.
The system detected an invalid pointer address in attempting to use a pointer argument of a call. This error occurs if an application passes an invalid pointer value, or if the length of the buffer is too small. For instance, if the length of an argument, which is a sockaddr structure, is smaller than the sizeof(sockaddr).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 09:21:38 pm »
Hi Hakuchi

For someone who isn't using OS/2 at the moment and you can say is rather new to the system anyways, ....

I agree with you that we don't have organized documentation or articles that gives a hint on what software to use on OS/2. Sadly the community does not has as much members or a market that will facilitate to have people writing that kind of material. Also, the OS2World wiki looks more like my scrapbook than a formal wiki were you can find things. I really hope I can evolve the wiki to something more useful.

The best way for the moment is to ask on the forums things like "How I can do XYZ with OS/2 or ArcaOS?" or "What do you recommend me to use for xyx with OS/2?".  I know it is kind of problem for people that like self service but consolidating and generating new OS/2 knowledge is not an easy task.

Maybe this can give some ideas to people that want to collaborate on the community.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

hakuchi

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 10:49:23 pm »
I agree with you that we don't have organized documentation or articles that gives a hint on what software to use on OS/2. Sadly the community does not has as much members or a market that will facilitate to have people writing that kind of material.

I smell something I might be able to help with. As I go along with my install and all that, I'll write stuff up as I learn things. That might be best I can offer for now for the community at the moment. Too much things going on in my life one have to keep "extra" pile as low as possible!

Also, the OS2World wiki looks more like my scrapbook than a formal wiki were you can find things. I really hope I can evolve the wiki to something more useful.

The best way for the moment is to ask on the forums things like "How I can do XYZ with OS/2 or ArcaOS?" or "What do you recommend me to use for xyx with OS/2?".  I know it is kind of problem for people that like self service but consolidating and generating new OS/2 knowledge is not an easy task.

Having used mainly BSD's and such OS's for over couple decades now mailing lists and forums are not strangers to me when need some info about something I don't yet know. So asking Isn't that big problem, but this usually is relevant when there this problem/etc is at hand. Beforehand it's hard to know what types challenges one encounters.

For example this Gopher client thingie, I didn't have any idea that one need some old DLLs (which I don't know what they are and where to get them, still) in order to get it to work.

So I'll make note to myself to document my journey as I go down the OS/2 path in near future. Maybe next month I get to this. I almost got around to get ArcaOS already, but then life happened and I had to postpone it. I don't want to purchase my license before I really have time to spend on the matter.

Your work on wiki is very good and I do know how hard it is to maintain even "scrapbook" level of structure ... kudos for doing that!

Everyone keep up the good work!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 11:45:15 pm »
I got the gopher client working here. The missing DLL seems to be SETLOC1.DLL, might need more if not a en locale. This was part of the Warp V4 install. Later when you need the exe and dll, ask.

hakuchi

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 08:43:18 am »
I got the gopher client working here. The missing DLL seems to be SETLOC1.DLL, might need more if not a en locale. This was part of the Warp V4 install. Later when you need the exe and dll, ask.

This is wonderful news! Thanks for the heads up!

Sure I'll get back to you when I get into the install and tinkering!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 02:46:58 am »
Maybe it is time to sent an open letter to Ginni Rometty (IBM's CEO) ....

Too late, Ginni was replaced   ;D

Any more ideas for 2020 ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Devid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 09:36:29 pm »
Hi.
I've been using slackware for a long time so I am used to compiling and patching software by myself even though I'm not a programmer.
I think it would be useful a dedicated how-to section on how to install development environments: va3, va4, gcc, wc, ddk.

Regards

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 10:10:47 pm »
Hi Devid.

That is a great idea.  I already have something about installing "IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5" on this EDM/2 article. But a lot more is required.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

tthoms

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 03:38:29 am »
     I've had OS/2 on my mind quite a bit.  I have to say, it's always been difficult to work with.  I remember spending countless hours tweaking settings, hunting for drivers, fixes, and usable programs.  It was such a pain.
     I stuck with it, because once it worked, it worked well, and the multitasking was unbeatable. To this, it felt great to not be part of the Windows crowd.
     I stopped using OS/2 once XP came out.  It, for the most part, did everything OS/2 did with a lot less work.  IBM had long abandoned it's child, and I needed something that would continue to grow.

tthoms

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 03:53:48 am »
(accidentally posted, this is a continuation of my previous post...)
Now with virtualization, I've been able to walk through the halls of yesteryear with OS/2, and while I remember it fondly, its still a pain.
     I guess the point of my addition to the brainstorm is that I can't see where the OS/2 experience can go.  As long as no one has access to the main code, nor cares to renovate it, it is not sustainable.  Since IBM likes to keep OS/2 in the rearview mirror, our only option is do do something like Haiku has done for the BEOS.

I've heard of OS/4, but I honestly don't understand what it is.  Is it a kernal replacement?  That would be a good start.  But I'm also wondering out loud what we'll be able to offer that other OS projects can't.  And if we do have a clear goal for OS/2, how can guys like me who can't code help us get there?

Thanks for letting me chime in. 

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 06:49:47 am »
I've heard of OS/4, but I honestly don't understand what it is.  Is it a kernal replacement?

Here is some info. https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Phoenix_OS/4