Author Topic: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!  (Read 23706 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Cancelled: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 04:57:57 pm »
Thanks for the link. David provided viop.sys to me in 2017, but I guess it never made it into the ArcaOS DVD. I do not know if this is related to the PMVIOP provided by IBM.

I've used the viop.sys in my systems for some time. The version you are using is two bytes larger than mine. I tried the new one on the T450s and it works the same.

If you keep going with the X250, check if you get an occasional failure to boot "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard drive" It is hard for me to make a bug report for a not quite reproducible error.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 08:33:38 pm »
Thanks for the link. David provided viop.sys to me in 2017, but I guess it never made it into the ArcaOS DVD. I do not know if this is related to the PMVIOP provided by IBM.

I've used the viop.sys in my systems for some time. The version you are using is two bytes larger than mine. I tried the new one on the T450s and it works the same.

If you keep going with the X250, check if you get an occasional failure to boot "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard drive" It is hard for me to make a bug report for a not quite reproducible error.

Just tested it on my Lenovo thinkpad T430s.

Before the fix, I could not use full screen or windowed DOS or Win sessions.  With the fix applied, I can use DOS and WIN full screen,  Windowed sessions still do not work.  This fix definitely helps.

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 11:51:05 pm »
For the windowed sessions you can try changing this line in config.sys DEVICE=I:\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS to DEVICE=I:\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS /int10textgrfxsafe. You also need to add
mode co80
cls
to autoexec.bat
This works on my system without viop.sys so I don't know how they behave if used together.
One other note if I change DOS LOW, NOUMB to DOS HIGH, UMB in config.sys mode traps on my system.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 08:58:05 am »
BACK IN BUSINESS!

As I wrote elsewhere: there is a patch für die UNIAUD Driver (see my report or Bugtracker 2637) so that Sound inlcuding Volume is working now with the X250 (and probaly a lot of others!).

So I will start preparing Videos this weekend!!

Thanks to the support from the ArcaOS Team with the Bugtracker!

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 09:25:53 pm »
The Videos will be published within my already existing Youtube Channel, so there will be no special channel. It would couse to much work otherwise.

Rita Richason

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 03:14:30 am »
You'll will have to truthfully say  that half of the (very expensive) hardware won't work as well (if at all) as it does for Windows. X250 is no longer current. Lenovo won't even sell you one.

The Youtube medium needs 60-second, highly focused and fun videos. Go for short stuff at first. Lunduke's review is good, but most users don't know what a virtual machine is. You'll have to explain this. Lunduke did not.

These are essential tools for any video that you wish people to view:

1). a good microphone (your laptop microphone will not produce good sound). Try the Samson G-Track ProB Microphone as a start
2). A pair of professional quality  studio monitors (a headset). At the very least use the Sony MDR-7506/1
3). A dedicated web camera. Use the Sony dh110 as an absolute minimum.

This is quite an expense but these are the very least for making a watchable video. If the sound and video quality is poor, people won't watch more than a few seconds.  Best Wishes!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:25:43 pm by Rita Richason »