Author Topic: Creating and Using an OS/2 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox  (Read 3546 times)

raywood

Creating and Using an OS/2 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:13:22 pm »
I just wanted to contribute my experience in setting up a VirtualBox VM running OS/2. I've written up a blog post describing the process as I experienced it, in some detail. I will link to this entry from there, in case anyone wants to correct or add to my impressions.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Creating and Using an OS/2 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 01:28:24 pm »
Hi Raywood.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your article.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Creating and Using an OS/2 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 01:54:16 pm »
Hi Raywood

Just to share some feedback about your conclusions.

Even that we don't know exactly the date, it is discussed that approximately on 1996 IBM CEO (Lou Gerstner) took the decision to stop investing in OS/2. At that time OS/2 still had a lot of customers that needed to be supported and IBM took the long path for a product discontinuation (It means it will not tell directly to the market it will be discontinue). On May of 1999 OS/2 Warp Server for e-Business was released, for me this is the latest OS/2 that was released with some innovations like JFS, updated kernel, etc. That same code streamline became OS/2 Warp 4.52 and OS/2 Warp Server for e-business 4.52 which were released to include all the fixpacks directly into the installer (that why they are also called convenience pack) .

In my opinion, comparing  OS/2 Warp 4.52 with Windows 7 (2009) will never be fair. Even comparing Windows XP (2001) with OS/2 Warp 4.52 (2001) also is not fair to me, since OS/2 was on the downstream for IBM at that time, while Microsoft was fully supporting his OS business at that moment.

Again, this is my opinion, maybe some other members of the community can comment with more exact dates.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:07:36 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.