Author Topic: program locked and cannot terminate its execution  (Read 3520 times)

mauro

• View Profile
program locked and cannot terminate its execution
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:27 pm »
Hi all, I've have had the bad idea to try to directly open an avi file which then could not be handled by the default media player.
This locks the player window and file status as opened. Nothing can close it. I run TOP but I cannot see this task name to terminate.
I run the windows list (ctrl-esc) and by context menu select "close" to the corrisponding task running, but it remains opened. After some time a message asks me if I want to terminate that program, of course I do, and soon click ENTER to confirm it, but everything remains there.
And at forced reboot of the virtualbox machine (Warp 4.52) the situation is still there as before.
Can you give me a suggestion to solve?
Thank you

Laurence Pithie

• View Profile
Re: program locked and cannot terminate its execution
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:54:49 pm »
If it's reopening; or, more accurately, failing to reopen, the file after a reboot it might be your restartobjects setting in config.sys.  try setting it it startupfoldersonly and removing anything else from that line.
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/RESTARTOBJECTS

mauro

• View Profile
Re: program locked and cannot terminate its execution
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 10:03:24 am »
Thank you Laurence, this has solved the problem.  :)
I could not even open config.sys from WPS, clicking on the icon took me to its properties menu, and "open" item was missing on its context menu.
I had to boot OS2 in safe mode and edited config.sys by FC/2 file manager.
There was no line "SET RESTARTOBJECT="  , I've added  "SET RESTARTOBJECT=StartUpFoldersOnly" and then the system rebooted cleanly
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:08:35 pm by mauro »