Author Topic: Odin on Warp 4.52 virtualbox  (Read 12122 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Odin on Warp 4.52 virtualbox
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:47:58 pm »
Hi all, I've installed Odin 0.9 and all packages called "Odin" in ANPM  (netlabs repository) and I think all went well, no issues, no error and a folder "Odin" appeared un the desktop.
But I cannot run a win32 installer, just tried Paint Shop Pro 7 which was an XP (win32) version , and I get the message "cannot find file: check to ensure the path and filename are correct".
Maybe I missed something.  I've also installed XWorkplace and XSystray

Laurence Pithie

• View Profile
Re: Odin on Warp 4.52 virtualbox
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 04:11:50 pm »
The odin-win32k package is no longer supported and isn't recommended for general use. The supported method is to use the pe program to launch the windows executable. pe <windowsprog>. Having said that the installer dies complaing about disk space requirements in install.ini when I tried that.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
Hi Mauro

Please let me know your experience with Paint Shop Pro 7 to also include it on the OS2World wiki (Odin Compatible Applications), or maybe create a page for it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 05:28:15 pm »
Hi mauro,

The 'not enough disk space' is caused by you having too large a partition that you are trying to install it in.  Remember back in XP days hard disks were quite small so the program installer checked for enough space and the calculations don't work with larger disks.

The best way to get round that problem is to copy a working install and transplant it to where you want it 'some disk\odin\program files' as an example.

The other thing, as Laurence pointed out is to use PE.exe to run the program.  While I don't have Paint Shop Pro 7 installed I do have IrfanView running under odin without any problems using a program object (see attached).

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:48:43 am »
Hi mauro,

The 'not enough disk space' is caused by you having too large a partition that you are trying to install it in.  Remember back in XP days hard disks were quite small so the program installer checked for enough space and the calculations don't work with larger disks.

The best way to get round that problem is to copy a working install and transplant it to where you want it 'some disk\odin\program files' as an example.

The other thing, as Laurence pointed out is to use PE.exe to run the program.  While I don't have Paint Shop Pro 7 installed I do have IrfanView running under odin without any problems using a program object (see attached).

Hi Ivan, there is no error message about disk space, I'm getting the "cannot find file: check to ensure the path and filename are correct" error message to my attempts of running win 32 software (XP).  However my virtual machine partition size is 5 Gb, not too much I believe.
Thanks

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:50:08 am »
The odin-win32k package is no longer supported and isn't recommended for general use. The supported method is to use the pe program to launch the windows executable. pe <windowsprog>. Having said that the installer dies complaing about disk space requirements in install.ini when I tried that.

Hi Laurence, this is interesting, I'll look for it and try.
Thanks

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:55:45 am »
Hi Mauro

Please let me know your experience with Paint Shop Pro 7 to also include it on the OS2World wiki (Odin Compatible Applications), or maybe create a page for it.

Regards
Hi Martin, I'll be glad to do it if I ever succeed to make win32 apps work in OS2.  Meantime can tell that PSP7 is my favourite graphyc editor and I'm using it also in Windows 10.  Found no other application for image editing so complete/fast/friendly, not even its next versions

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 03:47:43 pm »

Hi Laurence, this is interesting, I'll look for it and try.
Thanks

Hi Laurence, in fact I followed your suggestion using pe.exe to launch the PSP7 Windows installer in a command line and, after Setup program has began to work, it ends like you described, complaining of insufficient disk space ("please increase the disk space requisite in Setup.ini and try again")

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
Hi Mauro, it is probably a flaw in the installer, it uses a signed long and when there is more then 2GB's of free space, the program thinks it is a negative number. Try on a partition smaller then 2GB. The limit might be 4GB before overflow in which case less then 4GB would work.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »
Hi Mauro, it is probably a flaw in the installer, it uses a signed long and when there is more then 2GB's of free space, the program thinks it is a negative number. Try on a partition smaller then 2GB. The limit might be 4GB before overflow in which case less then 4GB would work.

thank you Dave, if this is the matter I'll give up, it is more important for me working in an OS2 with a good amount of space available rather than reduce partition size for some win32 application which I could also use outside of it, and maybe more confortably.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 07:55:38 pm »
Hi mauro,

Out of curiosity I 'borrowed' PSP 7 from a friend (I copied the PSP7 directory from his notebook) and set it up to run with ODIN.  Trying to start it I got an error message saying that a DLL was missing.  Copied the DLL from the notebook (XP) and PSP still will not run.

I think we may be out of luck trying to run this with ODIN.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 08:52:08 pm »
There's ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/windows/psp311.zip which IIRC does run on Odin. Untested here. Other versions might also be worth trying

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 09:24:36 pm »
Hi mauro,

Out of curiosity I 'borrowed' PSP 7 from a friend (I copied the PSP7 directory from his notebook) and set it up to run with ODIN.  Trying to start it I got an error message saying that a DLL was missing.  Copied the DLL from the notebook (XP) and PSP still will not run.

I think we may be out of luck trying to run this with ODIN.

I'm finding error message for missing file/dll by running every win32 executable software (both standalone and installer).

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 12:23:27 am »
mauro,

I assume you have run the ODIN/Win32 HELLOWORLD.exe program to test that ODIN is running - or in this case not running - and are still getting the message about missing file/DLL

If you install the debug package and run it with WIN32LOG=1  you will probably see which specific DLL or file is missing in the log files.  ODIN generates LOTS of messages in the log files, but if you look through them you will see the file that cannot be loaded.

The debug package looks to be available on ANPM

It is been awhile since I used the debug package. I believe I installed it from *.wpi or *.zip package. I also seem to remember that I installed it in a separate director(s) and adjusted the LIBPATH statement to switch between production and debug.  You may or may not be able to do that with ANPM. If you don't want to overwrite your normal package find a ZIP or WarpIN package  for debug and use that.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 02:51:16 am »
One potential problem with Odin is that the only love it has got for a long time has been Bitwise when porting Java, Flash and such and they didn't have time or motivation to worry about running other software.
It might be better to install an older Odin zip, setup BEGINLIBPATH and LIBPATHSTRICT and go that way.