Author Topic: Odin on Warp 4.52 virtualbox  (Read 12124 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: Odin on Warp 4.52 virtualbox
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 11:13:13 am »
mauro,

I assume you have run the ODIN/Win32 HELLOWORLD.exe program to test that ODIN is running - or in this case not running - and are still getting the message about missing file/DLL

Hi Doug, no I did not know and haven't tried to run it, is it already included in the Odin installation?

If you install the debug package and run it with WIN32LOG=1  you will probably see which specific DLL or file is missing in the log files.  ODIN generates LOTS of messages in the log files, but if you look through them you will see the file that cannot be loaded.
The debug package looks to be available on ANPM

I've installed with ANPM the debug package and any other package having Odin in its title

It is been awhile since I used the debug package. I believe I installed it from *.wpi or *.zip package. I also seem to remember that I installed it in a separate director(s) and adjusted the LIBPATH statement to switch between production and debug.  You may or may not be able to do that with ANPM. If you don't want to overwrite your normal package find a ZIP or WarpIN package  for debug and use that.

Ok, suppose I succeed to understand what dll is missing (also if this is different from the PSP7 installation error claiming a disk space issue which I believe cannot be solve), does it state the right path where to add the dll ?

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:57:58 pm by mauro »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 11:27:56 am »
There's ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/windows/psp311.zip which IIRC does run on Odin. Untested here. Other versions might also be worth trying

"page not found"

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »
There's ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/windows/psp311.zip which IIRC does run on Odin. Untested here. Other versions might also be worth trying

"page not found"

Use https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/windows/psp311.zip instead

(I used the search function for psp311)

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 05:02:58 pm »
mauro,

I assume you have run the ODIN/Win32 HELLOWORLD.exe program to test that ODIN is running - or in this case not running - and are still getting the message about missing file/DLL

Hi Doug, no I did not know and haven't tried to run it, is it already included in the Odin installation?

If you install the debug package and run it with WIN32LOG=1  you will probably see which specific DLL or file is missing in the log files.  ODIN generates LOTS of messages in the log files, but if you look through them you will see the file that cannot be loaded.
The debug package looks to be available on ANPM

I've installed with ANPM the debug package and any other package having Odin in its title

It is been awhile since I used the debug package. I believe I installed it from *.wpi or *.zip package. I also seem to remember that I installed it in a separate director(s) and adjusted the LIBPATH statement to switch between production and debug.  You may or may not be able to do that with ANPM. If you don't want to overwrite your normal package find a ZIP or WarpIN package  for debug and use that.

Ok, suppose I succeed to understand what dll is missing (also if this is different from the PSP7 installation error claiming a disk space issue which I believe cannot be solve), does it state the right path where to add the dll ?

Thank you

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 05:18:28 pm »

"page not found"

Use https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/windows/psp311.zip instead

(I used the search function for psp311)

Thank you, I've downloaded and installed it with no problems, but it runs with WinOS2 (16 bit), nothing to do with Odin and win 32 bit applications

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 01:30:10 am »
Mauro,

I have attached a zip file with a couple of small simple Win32 apps you can use to test ODIN. They are in testw32.zip. Unzip them into a directory, and run them with PE.EXE, e.g.

PE THRDDEMO.EXE

PE  FONTDRAW.EXE

I have also attached ODINZPP.ZIP, which contains the HELLOWORLD.EXE I mentioned.  It has been a while since I installed ODIN, so I went back and found the app and ran it on my machine.
ODINAPP.ZIP is actually designed to distribute some microsoft DLLs that cannot be distributed without an application - hence the HELLOWORLD.EXE app. The zip package contains the app and the DLLs, and an installation program. If you can run the installation program then ODIN is working, since the install program (SETUP.EXE) is  a WIN32 program.

The problem I had in running HELLOWORLD.EXE is it doesn't run very well. Sometimes it starts but nothing shows up - the main window is invisible. I had to restart the desktop in order to get the window to display.

I installed the debug version using ANPM in order to see if I could get the same output I remember getting before. I haven't tracked that down yet - but I will post when I conclude that attempt.  I did notice that both the "normal" version of ODIN and the debug version are available through RPM/ANPM.  As you know the regular version is libodin.386 and the debug is odin-debuginfo.i686  (I don't see the libodin.i386 in the list of available packages on ANPM - but it does show up with a YUM LIST *ODIN*    I don't know it I am missing it in the list or there is a bug in the ANPM GUI.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:31:37 am by Doug Clark »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 03:00:05 am »
I think odin-debug just contains the debug symbols for using in a debugger or exceptq.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 09:02:19 pm »
Mauro,

I have attached a zip file with a couple of small simple Win32 apps you can use to test ODIN. They are in testw32.zip. Unzip them into a directory, and run them with PE.EXE, e.g.

PE THRDDEMO.EXE

PE  FONTDRAW.EXE

I have also attached ODINZPP.ZIP, which contains the HELLOWORLD.EXE I mentioned……….

Hi Doug, thank you for the test files provided.  By reading the given suggestions I decided meantime to downgrade the Odin version to the 0.8.9, said to be more reliable.
I could finalize the helloworld.exe installation (the application just consists in a white empty window with its program menu, isn't it?) and  both THRDDEMO.EXE and FONTDRAW.EXE successfully run after PE execution command. So I think it mostly works, even if Paint Shop Pro 7 still shows the insufficient disk space error message which interrupts the installation. I knew that not all of the win32 apps can be successfully handled by Odin, or at least they would need appropriate fixing solutions, it should be a dll providing matter above all
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:10:04 pm by mauro »

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 09:38:24 pm »
The insufficient disk space problem means usually, that the program is using a signed 32bit value and the free space modulo 4GB is between 2 and 4 GB, which causes the value to be treated as negative. This can be fixed be filling up the hard disk. For DOS programs there is a tool that reports always less than 2GB.

Greetings
Sandra-Asja

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:05 pm »
The insufficient disk space problem means usually, that the program is using a signed 32bit value and the free space modulo 4GB is between 2 and 4 GB, which causes the value to be treated as negative. This can be fixed be filling up the hard disk. For DOS programs there is a tool that reports always less than 2GB.

Greetings
Sandra-Asja

Hi Sandra, thanks for the indications. I've tried both the situation of free disk space less than 2 Gb and more than 4 Gb, nothing worked, insufficient disk space warning in PSP7 installation still appears