Author Topic: Another odd question (PCIe 1 wireless card)  (Read 6819 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Another odd question (PCIe 1 wireless card)
« on: January 19, 2020, 06:58:20 pm »
The simple question is, is there a PCIe 1 wireless card that actually works with OS/2 (plus variants) at something like Gb speed?

I know all about items like the TP-link AC750 WiFi travel router - in fact I have one hooked up to my notebook.  What I am looking for is that type of connection but on a PCIe card for a workstation.

There are compelling reasons why the workstations can't be hooked up with ethernet cable and the people don't want to go to win 10 when all their work can be done using OS/2.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:07:10 pm by miadmin »

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Anoter odd question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:21:46 am »
Hi ivan

I think your question should be "is there a PCIe 1 wireless card that actually works with OS/2 (plus variants) at any speed?"

I also think the answer is No. Hopefully that will change one day...

Maybe an rj-45 to wireless dongle will help? eg VAP11G

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:57:42 am »
Thanks Pete, I was afraid that would be the answer.

It looks like another loss for OS/2, my clients will now be getting all new Ryzen workstations and installing Linux Mint rather than OS/2 - the lack of USB 3 even for keyboard and trackball is another problem.

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
Re: Another odd question
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 07:46:28 pm »
Why not using a wireless repeater or powerline adapter with ethernet port and connect that to OS/2?

USB3 development is on the way as is UEFI boot without need for CSM, but it's not ready yet.

You can buy real USB2 cards for PCIe (or old PCI slots), I have such a card on my i7-7700K, the mainboard has also a PS/2 port (with a Y-cable it's possible to connect both mouse and keyboard to a single PS/2 port).

Greetings from Germany
Sandra-Asja

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 08:29:28 pm »
Hi Sandra,

Since a number of these workstations will be moved (rolling trolleys) more things to be unplugged is not a case (the TP-Link unit I mentioned can be fixed to the back of the workstation and is powered from it. Then there is only the power cable between the workstation and no other cables to trip over.

Yes, I know USB 3 is under development but the impression I got from the last presentation video was that it would work with keyboard and trackball if nothing else.  You mention USB 2 add in cards.  Unless they are based on the Via chipset they have a tendency not to work because they are built on a USB 3 chipset and use the USB 2 pass-through feature.

Not all modern motherboards have PS/2 ports, many of them just have USB ports and as far as I have been able to find out you need a PS/2 port that is designed as a dual port to run both keyboard and trackball.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 08:46:35 pm »
there are some reports in OS/2 GURU hardware database - http://en.os2.guru/hardware.php?action=category&section=net

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:30:35 pm »
Hi Eugene,  It would be nice if your list could be searched, example: 'network add in cards'  --> 'PCIe x1'  --> 'Wireless'  --> 'working'.  Failing that it would help if they were separated into working well and not working.

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
Re: Another odd question
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 09:28:19 pm »
Hi ivan!

Since a number of these workstations will be moved (rolling trolleys) more things to be unplugged is not a case (the TP-Link unit I mentioned can be fixed to the back of the workstation and is powered from it. Then there is only the power cable between the workstation and no other cables to trip over.

Depending if you have a multi-outlet power strip on the trolleys, you could either screw the wireless repeater to it or you could use powerline adapters - these would even work when the PC is directly connected to the wall outlet. Just put a powerline adapter with has a power outlet on it's front, plug PC power cable and ethernet cable in it and tie them together, then it would be still only one cord to trip over.

Yes, I know USB 3 is under development but the impression I got from the last presentation video was that it would work with keyboard and trackball if nothing else.  You mention USB 2 add in cards.  Unless they are based on the Via chipset they have a tendency not to work because they are built on a USB 3 chipset and use the USB 2 pass-through feature.

The minimum requirement to be useful would be support for keyboard, mouse and mass storage devices in the new USB 3.0 driver. The new 32bit USB stack does not support isochronous transfers as required for audio or video. On my test system, the XHCI (USB 3.0) driver does not work, but UEFI installation was okay with a CD-ROM attached to USB 2.0 (the Lenovo X250 notebook has a setup setting to switch between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 host controllers).

For old PCI slots it's easier and cheaper to find real USB 2.0 adapter cards.
For PCIe, I bought a "StarTech.com 7 Port PCI Express Low Profile High Speed USB 2.0 Adapter Card", which adds six external and one internal (that one has only pins) high speed USB 2.0 ports to any PCIe compatible PC. It came with a full profile bracket (which I use) and a driver CD for other operating systems. Part # PEXUSB7LP, BarCode 065030837408. It needs a floppy type power connector. IIRC, there is also a slightly cheaper version of this card with four ports (3+1).

Not all modern motherboards have PS/2 ports, many of them just have USB ports and as far as I have been able to find out you need a PS/2 port that is designed as a dual port to run both keyboard and trackball.

Some modern boards have still two PS/2 ports, but those that have only one usually support both mouse and keyboard simultaneously with a splitter cable (and a little bit of luck, that it has the corresponding wiring scheme, there are multiple versions for this task). Of course, without a PS/2 port you'll need a supported USB host controller like on the adapter card mentioned above.

Greetings
Sandra-Asja

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Another odd question (PCIe 1 wireless card)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:59 pm »
Hi Sandra,
use powerline adapters - these would even work when the PC is directly connected to the wall outlet. Just put a powerline adapter with has a power outlet on it's front, plug PC power cable and ethernet cable in it and tie them together, then it would be still only one cord to trip over.

Powerline adapters are OK if you have a clean mains supply, they are essentially useless if you are in an industrial park where the spikes and other garbage on the mains overrides the data signal.   They are also very insecure - I got a pair of them a year ago to test at home and found I could pick up several people down the road with ease.

May I ask what your test system is - AMD or Intel processor as it appears that the Intel USB 3 is the biggest problem although I have never heard of anyone testing it on an AMD RYZEN second generation board so I haven't a clue what the results would be.

I too have some of the 'StarTech' USB units on a couple of my AMD Ryzen boxes and, yes they do work but it does become a bit of a problem when using Mini ITX boards.  I even managed to find a PS/2 to USB Y cable that allows me to use a USB KVM switch on 4 of my units.