Author Topic: Trap Seamonkey 2.42.9  (Read 9540 times)

Hermit

Trap Seamonkey 2.42.9
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:03:39 am »
Hi all.

Seamonkey can start with a blank page. If you try to open any site or open a menu item Edit -> Preference -> Helper Applications
getting TRAP. In safe mode the result is the same. Firefox 45.9 does not start, immediately get Trap.

eCS 2.1

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Trap Seamonkey 2.42.9
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 06:04:27 pm »
Funny it didn't start in safe mode. Move H:\PROGRAMS\MOZ_PLUG\npj2_j32.dll out of the way along with the other Java plugin files or h:\programs\moz_plug or edit config.sys and remove the SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH setting, reboot and retest please.

Hermit

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:15:42 am »
Funny it didn't start in safe mode. Move H:\PROGRAMS\MOZ_PLUG\npj2_j32.dll out of the way along with the other Java plugin files or h:\programs\moz_plug or edit config.sys and remove the SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH setting, reboot and retest please.
Hi, Dave.
I moved Java plugin files - Seamonkey 2.42.9 starts successfully, sites open. What should I do with Java plugin in the future?
But.
1. There is a sawtooth load on the processor, reaching up to 100%, even the second core is connected. This is on the about: blank page. In this case, SM 2. 42b8 does not load the processor.
2. When I try to upload a file, I get a trap. The attached files are just for the latter case.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:40:15 am by _Hermit_ »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 06:02:14 pm »
Hi, Dave.
I moved Java plugin files - Seamonkey 2.42.9 starts successfully, sites open. What should I do with Java plugin in the future?

I just removed them as there is very few sites that use them. If you really need them then you will have to use an older browser where they work and setup a program object or script that sets MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH when you use the older version.
But.
1. There is a sawtooth load on the processor, reaching up to 100%, even the second core is connected. This is on the about: blank page. In this case, SM 2. 42b8 does not load the processor.

Known issue that I wish knew the actual problem. Go to about:addons, disable Chatzilla and restart. CPU usage should be down.

2. When I try to upload a file, I get a trap. The attached files are just for the latter case.

This one I'm not sure of. What Locale are you using? Does it happen in safe mode? What about if you go to Edit--> Preferences-->Browser--Downloads and try not using the download manager or change it to not asking where to save files. Could also clear the download history.
Also are you uploading from the root of a drive? If so, try using a subdirectory.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:47:05 pm »
Other things to check about the upload trp, make sure %TMP% and friends point to somewhere with lots of room. There may be a bad PATH stored in content-prefs.sqlite, you could try moving it out of the way.

Hermit

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:08:33 pm »
Known issue that I wish knew the actual problem. Go to about:addons, disable Chatzilla and restart. CPU usage should be down.

Yes, it worked. But I use Chatzilla. Is there any hope that it will work normally?

This one I'm not sure of. What Locale are you using? Does it happen in safe mode? What about if you go to Edit--> Preferences-->Browser--Downloads and try not using the download manager or change it to not asking where to save files. Could also clear the download history.
Also are you uploading from the root of a drive? If so, try using a subdirectory.

Locale - English. Advice "not asking where to save files" solved this problem. %TMP% is located on a disk with enough space.

Now this question. When viewing Youtube videos, Seamonkey does not adjust the sound. Only via Uniaud mixer. And when you load a new video, the volume returns to the maximum value.
What to do?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:36 pm »

Yes, it worked. But I use Chatzilla. Is there any hope that it will work normally?

I have no idea why it uses so much CPU and haven't been able to figure any fix. It does work fine when installed in Firefox so that is one workaround. It's quite possible to run FF and SM together by marking the DLLs to load high and using the OS4 kernel or using Mozturbo to keep the DLLs loaded. The official kernel has a bug where it doesn't correctly release high memory.
Locale - English. Advice "not asking where to save files" solved this problem. %TMP% is located on a disk with enough space.

Ok it is probably a bad PATH in content-prefs.sqlite. Bad PATHs include the root of a drive and PATHs that are no more.
Now this question. When viewing Youtube videos, Seamonkey does not adjust the sound. Only via Uniaud mixer. And when you load a new video, the volume returns to the maximum value.
What to do?

Once again all we have are workarounds. Use the volume control on your speakers or install PMUnimix to make controlling the volume easier. https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/util/mixers/PMUniMix-bin-0_82.zip

I know I'm not being much help but truthfully I'm not much of a developer and originally signed on as a tester. At some point I was left as the only one who could build Mozilla as developing Mozilla eats developers and after Bitwise took over maintenance, they only worked on Firefox so I'm left supporting SM and TB. All things considered, Bitiwise did a good job but Mozilla is a fast moving target and Bitwise only had so many resources. SM and TB mostly share the same code as Firefox.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 09:02:26 am »
Chatzilla is enabled on my machines but I do not have these 100% load. Neither on my 2 core system nor on the 4 core one. But I must admit I didn't start the chazilla window on OS/2 boxes since a while. Will test again the next days.

What makes 100% CPU spikes every few seconds on my systems is lightning. The spikes stops when I open the calender.

To sum up - for me the latest SM versions from Dave works fine. Including Lightning and Chatzilla. Except sometimes some scripts starts to eat up memory until there is no high memory left. If I don't kill SM in such cases the system crashes. I see similar behavior with SM on Win7. But much much infrequently. And Win does not crash in such cases I think. The Win machine uses a lot more memory too. Second problem - sites with much scripts are very slow on older hardware. F.i. it's no fun searching Amazon on the 2 core machine.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 05:39:04 pm »
 You could install this library and see: 
  gcc-4.9.2.1-3.oc00.i686
saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:55:23 pm »
I found the issue with Chatzilla, seems our gif parser doesn't like taskbar-irc.gif so I converted it from 256 colours to 32 bit.
Easiest way to update is to just replace it. With SeaMonkey closed, replace it in your profile at extensions\{59c81df5-4b7a-477b-912d-4e0fdf64e5f2}\chrome\chatzilla\skin\modern\chatzilla\images
You could also try installing the updated XPI. This failed here, possibly due to profile corruption so I ended up removing Chatzilla and the extensions\staged folder and simply replacing the files in extensions\{59c81df5-4b7a-477b-912d-4e0fdf64e5f2}

Hermit

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 08:09:41 pm »

Once again all we have are workarounds. Use the volume control on your speakers or install PMUnimix to make controlling the volume easier. https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/util/mixers/PMUniMix-bin-0_82.zip

With PMUnimix, it got better. Thanks.

In README.OS2 is specified the list of RPM packages required by Firefox is contained in a file named RPM_REQUIREMENTS. There is no such file in the archive. In some of the forum topics, I found it.

And about the full-screen video, you can not ask or someone works?  ;)

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:40 pm »
I found the issue with Chatzilla, seems our gif parser doesn't like taskbar-irc.gif so I converted it from 256 colours to 32 bit.
Easiest way to update is to just replace it. With SeaMonkey closed, replace it in your profile at extensions\{59c81df5-4b7a-477b-912d-4e0fdf64e5f2}\chrome\chatzilla\skin\modern\chatzilla\images
You could also try installing the updated XPI. This failed here, possibly due to profile corruption so I ended up removing Chatzilla and the extensions\staged folder and simply replacing the files in extensions\{59c81df5-4b7a-477b-912d-4e0fdf64e5f2}

I tried to replace taskbar-irc.gif  and my Chatzilla  locked.

If one meets the same, open about:config and set the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

Dave, the latest Chatzilla is 0.9.93   -  http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/revisions
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:17:53 pm by OS4User »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 09:26:14 pm »
In README.OS2 is specified the list of RPM packages required by Firefox is contained in a file named RPM_REQUIREMENTS. There is no such file in the archive. In some of the forum topics, I found it.

Thanks, seems I forgot to commit changes previously, fixed locally.
And about the full-screen video, you can not ask or someone works?  ;)

Not sure who I could ask, Mozilla refuses to have anything to do with such old versions. I'll revisit it but the source is quite complex.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 09:31:52 pm »
@OS4User, strange that that change was needed, perhaps the file change broke a md5sum or such.
I should see if I can update the intree version of Chatzilla, which is where I got the version I uploaded.
If using 0.9.93, the file is in chatzilla.jar, it can be unzipped, the file replaced and rezipped.
I also found my problem with not being able to update chatzilla, the chrome directory was locked and I had to reboot to completely delete the old add-on and then reinstall.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 10:02:19 pm »
Hmm, updating to 9.93 and updating the jar file seems to have made things unstable here, possibly by not using the right secret sauce to zip the jar.