Author Topic: New builds of Thunderbird and SeaMonkey  (Read 26341 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: New builds of Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2022, 05:09:49 pm »
Hi

There is a news on Slashdot , "GCC Rust Approved by Steering Committee, Beta Likely Next April". For what I understand RUST will be included on the GCC compiler next year.

I guess it partially good news for us, if gcc keeps compiling on this platform. But I guess that even with this we are still far away from compiling newer Firefox on OS/2.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2022, 07:22:04 pm »
While it likely won't help with Firefox, need a lot more work then just Rust working, early Rust was very unstable with new incompatible regular releases.
What it will help is other programs that are compiled in Rust getting ported. Seems Rust is getting very popular and even small utilities are being ported to it.
Will also have to see how well it works on our 32 bit platform. Even current Mozilla doesn't compile if I have $TMPDIR pointed at an HPFS volume as at least one .S (assembly stage) temporary file is over 2GB's and likely it is the same file where GCC sometimes dies due to lack of memory. Sounds like Rust is more demanding then C++

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2022, 04:43:23 am »
There's also the fact that rust won't be included until most likely GCC 13 next year, and GCC13 is also planning to drop support for the STABS debugging format, which will cause us grief...

From the GCC 12.1 announcement: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2022-May/238653.html
Code: [Select]
This release deprecates support for the STABS debugging format and
introduces support for the CTF debugging format.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 04:50:03 am by Paul Smedley »