Author Topic: Restructuring the forum catagories?  (Read 4924 times)

tthoms

Restructuring the forum catagories?
« on: January 22, 2020, 06:06:02 pm »
I know this might be a lot of work, but could we have sub forums for DOS, WINDOWS, and OS/2 in the APPLICATION and SETUP forums?

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Re: Restructuring the forum catagories?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 08:51:40 am »
Hm.. on one side, it'd happily agree, since retro stuff is cewl and always was exciting, but on the other hand, 1) there already are DOS and Win 3.x forums around and 2) it's the OS/2 Community World Forums, not retro OS forums.

Not sure if DOS and Windows would benefit this forum. This might bring new users, topics and ideas, but then it's still a forum about OS/2. (It's like going to a bakery shop, just to find out they also have a butcher now ; ) - Would be nice, since if you need both, you'd have all done in one go, but on the other hand.. that's a bit strange. :>)

Hmm.. maybe a vote would be a good thing. Do we like the idea YES / NO, and depending on that, poor Martin would have to redesign these areas.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 01:50:40 pm »
Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

The forum structure can be appreciated here: https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php
I have no problem creating more categories (or subforums) but the main issue was that on the past we have a lot of subcategories and the demand for those was not enough, so we had subforums with one of two posts.

I think that maybe some OS/2 Win-OS2 and DOS VM related issues can be post on "Applications" or "Setup & Installation". But general DOS and Windows 3.x things can be posted on "General Discussion".But this is not an DOS and Windows 16 bits community but a community that runs OS/2 and DOS/Win31 related to OS/2. If the demand grows and it starts to be a problem, I will go further creating new subforums.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

hakuchi

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:50:22 am »
The forum structure can be appreciated here: https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php
I have no problem creating more categories (or subforums) but the main issue was that on the past we have a lot of subcategories and the demand for those was not enough, so we had subforums with one of two posts.

Moar is not always better. Especially in forums. Been involved on several different forums on and off in past 20+ years and I know how it is when you have dozens of boards and subboards and whatnots, but people are not really posting in them. It's very hard to find zen and harmony that will tick every ones boxes.

One way might be making this kind of "newbie corner" kind of and enabling in forum settings "Allow boards to be ignored". This way those who are not really interested about those boards can opt-out. This on the other hand defies the purpose of the "newbie corner" idea if experienced users are all opting-out :)

But I do see the point in this kind of board. Been frantically searching for whatnots while going through my initiation to the OS/2 ways of doing things.

I think that maybe some OS/2 Win-OS2 and DOS VM related issues can be post on "Applications" or "Setup & Installation". But general DOS and Windows 3.x things can be posted on "General Discussion".But this is not an DOS and Windows 16 bits community but a community that runs OS/2 and DOS/Win31 related to OS/2. If the demand grows and it starts to be a problem, I will go further creating new subforums.

I think one board might be enough. Including all "Non-native" thingies, me thinks. Maybe separate for X11 stuffs if need be, but I think these would be ok to go under the "Non-native" board as well ... Dunno really. It's always hard to figure out what works and where is ice thick enough to support the weight ...

But discussion about the matter is never bad ... does it lead it to anything or not.