Author Topic: Procedure for removing Apache OpenOffice  (Read 10070 times)

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
Procedure for removing Apache OpenOffice
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:24:52 pm »
Hello,

The README for Apache OpenOffice has this warning: "Do not install this version over an existing installation." Concerning uninstallation, the same README has this: "Uninstallation could leave some files in the installation directory, remove them manually."

In addition to the files in the installation directory, however, I assume uninstallation also means all traces of the software, including in CONFIG.SYS, Registered Associations, and so on. I installed the software originally using WarpIn, but it does not seem to have an uninstall option, and I have not been able to locate any description of the uninstall process.

Any help will be appreciated.
Bennie Nelson

Bennie

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Procedure for removing Apache OpenOffice
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:39:06 pm »
Start up Warpin by itself and it should show you WarpIN database, choose your OpenOffice packages, right click and choose uninstall.
On ArcaOS, warpin can be found in Computer-->Install!Remove-->Warpin or installed in x:\sys\install\warpin.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:33:07 pm »
As an addition to what Dave wrote:

Concerning uninstallation, the same README has this: "Uninstallation could leave some files in the installation directory, remove them manually."

That might just be a hint, nothing more. I doubt that you have to delete files manually. I don't know how the config file, probably placed in the %HOME% dir, behaves. The important ones might be the program objects and WPS classes.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:04:52 am »
I did two installs on separate partitions.  I had to use Warpin to uninstall and then had to delete the open office directory.  There is a file in there that if left will will cause the updated version to crash when writing text.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:15:58 am »
Don't forget to delete the OpenOffice directory found in the Home Directory.

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
Re: Procedure for removing Apache OpenOffice (solved)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 01:12:24 am »
Thanks to all.  I was able to get the new version installed after removing the prior version of the software plus the home directory. It never occurred to me to remove /home/openoffice.

Bennie

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 02:52:32 am »
I've added support for installing OpenOffice 4.1.7 to Suntan Special. The procedure removes earlier versions, updates prerequisites and installs 4.1.7, while preserving settings and configuration. It basically follows the directions in the readme, but in REXX.

You still need to download your own copy of OpenOffice, and I recommend a donation to Bitwise.

http://www.blondeguy.com/suntan6.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 08:38:47 pm »

You still need to download your own copy of OpenOffice, and I recommend a donation to Bitwise.

they ask for 30 $ to download the package, not just a donation

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 04:18:17 pm »

What is meant is that you make a donation via the webshop and then you can download Open Office.

Is it an issue for you that you have pay for Open Office ? While its free of charge the OS/2 community does not have a sufficient amount of volenteer developers to maintain such large projects. That is why you need to pay for the download.

Regards,

Roderick Klein

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 07:40:33 pm »

What is meant is that you make a donation via the webshop and then you can download Open Office.

Is it an issue for you that you have pay for Open Office ? While its free of charge the OS/2 community does not have a sufficient amount of volenteer developers to maintain such large projects. That is why you need to pay for the download.

Regards,

Roderick Klein

Hi Roderick, nothing wrong with the concept of "payware", but donation and purchase are two different things.
So, in which case are we? Maybe I misunderstood what I read on Bitwise page: price 25 € = approx 30 $

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 08:52:13 pm »
Bitwise has no rights (beyond the Apache license) to OpenOffice so can not sell it. They do have the right to share the binaries they built and to choose who they share with and have decided to only share with people who donate to the people who have put the time and energy into keeping it building and working on our platform.
You're free to download the source and build your own copy and share or even to share the Bitwise build once you have a copy and all Bitwise can do is stop developing OpenOffice.
It's basically an honour system to cover the time and expense of maintaining the port.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 07:17:17 am »
Bitwise has no rights (beyond the Apache license) to OpenOffice so can not sell it. They do have the right to share the binaries they built and to choose who they share with and have decided to only share with people who donate to the people who have put the time and energy into keeping it building and working on our platform.
You're free to download the source and build your own copy and share or even to share the Bitwise build once you have a copy and all Bitwise can do is stop developing OpenOffice.
It's basically an honour system to cover the time and expense of maintaining the port.

Ok I understand this, so I still miss 2 things:
-how become a donor and access to the binary download (not much intuitive on their pages)
-they have not selling rights but they are showing a selling price, actually the only possible/visible option to download the package

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 07:54:12 am »

Ok I understand this, so I still miss 2 things:
-how become a donor and access to the binary download (not much intuitive on their pages)
-they have not selling rights but they are showing a selling price, actually the only possible/visible option to download the package
When you buy one development unit, Bitwise sends an email with the link and password to download Apache OpenOffice.  One just needs to download the one for their language.  I am not sure why one would need to download the RPM package.  One does not need to download an additional language pack unless one wants to add that language support also.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:58:21 am by David Graser »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 04:13:05 am »
So has everyone received their d/l notification email automatically?

I paid for AOO a few years back, auto-notifcation emails never come, I usually have to struggle to figure out whom to contact...and yeah, that web-site is pretty poor to the extent that nowhere on there are you actually going to find that magic "email address" which they politely ask you to direct your email in case you did not receive the d/l notification...

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 04:26:15 am »
So has everyone received their d/l notification email automatically?

I paid for AOO a few years back, auto-notifcation emails never come, I usually have to struggle to figure out whom to contact...and yeah, that web-site is pretty poor to the extent that nowhere on there are you actually going to find that magic "email address" which they politely ask you to direct your email in case you did not receive the d/l notification...

Dariusz, it appears you are correct in that there is no obvious way to contact them if you did not receive your auto-notification.