Author Topic: Unofficial VBox Additions - vbxgradd.dll  (Read 11621 times)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial VBox Additions - vbxgradd.dll
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 07:34:46 pm »
2Sean Casey: You need to have VBoxService.exe running to have shared clipboard working. Shared folders have nothing to do with
shared clipboard. Shared folders are implemented as a VBoxFS.ifs IFS driver. Though, for automounting of shared folders, you need
an automount service in VBoxService.exe. Shared clipboard uses "shared clipboard" service, which is implemented in VBoxService.exe
too. So, both require a running VBoxService.exe instance.

AMOUSE.SYS is a different version of MOUSE.SYS, so in your case, you need to comment amouse.sys out.

PS: Read this topic for details:

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=1905.msg24939#msg24939

I mentioned an amouse case here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:42:26 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 07:39:08 pm »
2mauro:

> And of course in my case, what happens after this make even less sense: the OS2 guest machine starts in VGA-8bit screen!

Yes, as Dave said above, you need to rename the internal module name with e.g., renmodul utility. If you rename a file name
only, this will be insufficient, and OS/2 will fail to find VBXGRADD module, and fall back to VGAGRADD driver!

2Martin: Yes, probably, I need to update VBoxMouse.sys and VBXGRADD.DLL to newer versions -- didn't checked them
last times.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:40:50 pm by Valery Sedletski »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 09:14:59 pm »
2mauro:

> And of course in my case, what happens after this make even less sense: the OS2 guest machine starts in VGA-8bit screen!

Yes, as Dave said above, you need to rename the internal module name with e.g., renmodul utility. If you rename a file name
only, this will be insufficient, and OS/2 will fail to find VBXGRADD module, and fall back to VGAGRADD driver!

2Martin: Yes, probably, I need to update VBoxMouse.sys and VBXGRADD.DLL to newer versions -- didn't checked them
last times.

ok, got it, thanks

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 11:46:35 pm »
2Dave Yeo: Yes, you're right. You need e.g., a renmodul utility to change the internal module name to VBXGRADD, as I did.

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/system/renmodul2_0_0.zip

renmodul /r GENGRADD VBXGRADD

Then it should work. This utility can also edit the imported modules table, changing these module names.

about renmodul usage
having placed the new gengradd.dll from GA 6.1.2 in the same renmodul files folder, I open an OS2 command window from there and:

[C:\DESKTOP\RENMODUL2_0_0]renmodul /r GENGRADD VBXGRADD
RENMODUL v2.0.0
Usage: [/r | /i ] <filename> [<old module name> <new module name]>
 With filename only: display module name and imported module names
 /r rename this module
 /i change imported module name

so nothing has happened

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 12:38:21 am »
Hi mauro

I nave not used renmodul myself but the usage line indicates a filename required so try

renmodul /r gengradd.dll GENGRADD VBXGRADD

Regards

Pete

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 02:09:12 am »
2mauro: yes, Pete suggests correct thing: we omitted the module name here.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 10:42:54 am »
ok thanks, on the command line output says the work is done, but then I cannot find the renamed VBXGRADD.DLL.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 11:53:17 am »
ok thanks, on the command line output says the work is done, but then I cannot find the renamed VBXGRADD.DLL.

Module name and file name is not the same. Now you have gengradd.dll file which contains VBXGRADD but not GENGRADD module.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 01:10:32 pm »

Module name and file name is not the same. Now you have gengradd.dll file which contains VBXGRADD but not GENGRADD module.

maybe next step (try for intuition) is simply renaming there GENGRADD.DLL in VBXGRADD.DLL ?

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 01:56:12 pm »
2mauro: renmodul renames internal module name. As I said, it is internal, you can see it in a hex viewer inside the file (Look for "DOSCALLS"
string in a hex viewer. Before it, you will see "VBOXGRADD" name). After that, you need to rename the file from "GERGRADD.DLL" to
"VBXGRADD.DLL". Manually, of course.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 02:28:04 pm »
ok, I made it.

Installed VirtualBox 6.1.2 Windows hosted, then after your indications here have transformed the last Oracle GA GENGRADD.DLL module into VBXGRADD.DLL and replaced it in C:\OS2\DLL , while everything else was left untouched in the Valery's GA 5.0.51 r218 package installation.
The result is that the issue discribed by Martin (dirty screen left by the pointer passage in some situations) disappeared, but other issues happens as mouse integration missed and loss of fps in video play with VLC.
So I decided better keeping the previous situation.
Thanks all