OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

FF 45.x and VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT setting...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Sergey Posokhov on February 12, 2020, 09:58:19 pm ---It seems to be a Heap Compression...

--- End quote ---

Yes, it could be garbage collection. about:memory allows running the garbage collector.

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Well, it turned out to have been a very specific anomaly...no explanation how I got there, but yeah, non-repeatable.

Lars:
Have you ever tried to reduce your number of cores to one core per package/unit ? The BIOS should allow this and I would expect that fixes your stability problems. That will leave you with 3 cores which is no loss, really. At least the Bulldozer architecture is offering miserable performance gain from the "hyperthreading" (AMD names this differently but it is the same thing). There are just too many HW components being shared amongst two cores of a common package/unit or whatever they call it.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson:

--- Quote from: Lars on February 25, 2020, 10:02:11 am ---Have you ever tried to reduce your number of cores to one core per package/unit ? The BIOS should allow this and I would expect that fixes your stability problems. That will leave you with 3 cores which is no loss, really. At least the Bulldozer architecture is offering miserable performance gain from the "hyperthreading" (AMD names this differently but it is the same thing). There are just too many HW components being shared amongst two cores of a common package/unit or whatever they call it.

--- End quote ---

He uses a Phenom II X6 with 6 full Int/FPU cores, no hyperthreading in sight. PII X6 is not a Bulldozer but a K10 architecture, and Ryzen has hyperthreading while Bulldozer has not but rather CMT (Clustered Multi Threading) where the secondary core does not have a FPU unit so some tasks are not assigned to the secondary core, but it is still a full core rather than the fake core hyperthreading offers, e.g. a 6x Bulldozer core has 6 integer units but only 3 floating point ones. That people believe that CMT is the same as Hyperthreading just tells you how insanely good the Intel marketing division is.

Lars:
I only remember that I read on some gamers forum that Bulldozer even performs slightly better with only one core per unit active. In practice I can say that using 4 cores instead of 8 on my Bulldozer type of CPU makes close to no difference (Windows is busy rotating the hard disk and OS/2 is busy on choking and scheduling on that many cores).
That tells you how insanely good the AMD marketing is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version