Author Topic: eComStation 1.2R in Virtualbox  (Read 3282 times)

David Kiley

• View Profile
eComStation 1.2R in Virtualbox
« on: February 14, 2020, 06:28:41 am »
Just curious if anyone has gotten ECS 1.2R working in VirtualBox.
Iv'e read a lot of old posts, some saying it's not possible and others seem to hint they did it successfully.

The host is Suse Enterprise Desktop Linux 15 with VirtualBox 6.2.1
I'm sure I will experiment with it either way but just curious.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:30:55 am by David Kiley »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: eComStation 1.2R in Virtualbox
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:21 am »
Just curious if anyone has gotten ECS 1.2R working in VirtualBox.
Iv'e read a lot of old posts, some saying it's not possible and others seem to hint they did it successfully.

It is certainly possible (at least with a win 10 host). I made one VBox (a few years ago) with three virtual disk drives. I installed eCS 2.1, on one disk, eCS 2.2 on the second disk, and the third disk is shared with programs, and data (pretty much exactly what I do on a real machine, although that is usually on only one disk). I have done the same thing with ArcaOS, recently, using only one virtual disk. My collection also includes simple Warp 3, and warp 4 systems. ECS 2.1 isn't a whole lot different from eCS 1.2R.

I do know that Linux introduces some complications with, so called, security features, but I don't know what needs to be done to make it happy. It is likely in the docs, somewhere.

Simply build a machine from VBox, and install eCS into it (just like you would with a real machine). If you are using eCS 1.2R, it won't have support for AHCI, so stay with IDE. I also suggest using the SoundBlaster 16 (PNP) option, for sound. You can use a Gigabit NIC, but eCS 1.2R probably doesn't have a driver for it, so use the default (FAST...) NIC. All of those things can be changed later, if you can get the drivers, and do it in a logical sequence.

It is important to enable VT-x/AMD-V in BIOS, and choose the Legacy option in System-> Acceleration.

Hopefully, that will get you started.

David Kiley

• View Profile
Re: eComStation 1.2R in Virtualbox
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:05 am »
Thanks Doug - appreciate the tips!
Glad to hear it is possible. I did have to give extra user permissions with virtualbox to make my windows 10 guest work correctly - so hopefully it's similar.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:26:30 am by David Kiley »