Author Topic: Netdrive with Psion Plugin  (Read 7989 times)

hakuchi

Netdrive with Psion Plugin
« on: February 23, 2020, 08:41:28 pm »
Anyone has goode ol' Psion devices in use? I've my MC218 up and kicking still and would like to get that one work with my ArcaOS installation ... Before I changed the HDD in my laptop (for bigger one) and left the already "working" installation for backup, I did downloaded Netdrive from Hobbes and also Psion plugin for it.

I couldn't connect ro my MC218 ... I got error 21 every time I tried to connect ... anyone has any idea what might be wrong with this? Didn't find much by searching around.

Wrote an E-Mail to Andrei Porodko to the E-Mail address I found but it bounced back undelivered.

Would be nice to get this to work! And any assistance is very much appreciated!

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Netdrive with Psion Plugin
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 09:23:01 pm »
Which Psion do you have?

hakuchi

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:02:32 pm »
Which Psion do you have?

I've my MC218

I couldn't connect ro my MC218 ...

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5
Ericsson marketed a rebadged version of the Series 5mx called the MC218.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:33:19 pm »
The Ericsson MC218 is "almost" the same as Psion 5. But the problem is in "almost". Ericsson has changed a few bits for own gain in order to sell Ericsson's stuff which never made it. I don't know any more if that was with connecting.
See to it that you have the right com port and set to the right baud on the MC218 and on the OS machine. Read the file PsionPlugin_doc.htm and verify it with the command files. It might be that the MC can't handle 115200 baud, try one step lower. If problem stays, check your cable. You can take the cable and test each pen with an Ohm meter. It should read almost 0 Ohm if it has a connection or infinitive without connection.
That's all I can do for you, if you had series 3, then it would be different. Succes.

hakuchi

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:43:59 pm »
Everything works. Cable and all with PsiWin for example ... so it's only this Netdrive/Plugin that ain't dance with us. But I have to install my ArcaOS again first to this bigge HDD I put into my laptop.

AFAIK there is no change in hardware but cannot remember from top of my head and have other things at the moment than searching for this. More memory or something by default, something like this.

And 115200 baud works fine.

Still I cannot find anything on "Error 21" ... would be nice to know what this is.

Anyone got working E-Mail address for Andrei? :D

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 11:06:40 pm »
I:\>help 21

SYS0021: The drive is not ready.

EXPLANATION: One of the following errors occurred:
o  The drive is empty.
o  The drive door is open.
o  The drive is in use.

ACTION: Do one of the following and retry the command:
o  Insert a diskette in the drive.
o  Close the drive door.
o  Wait until the drive is available.

hakuchi

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 05:18:25 am »
I:\>help 21

SYS0021: The drive is not ready.

EXPLANATION: One of the following errors occurred:
o  The drive is empty.
o  The drive door is open.
o  The drive is in use.

ACTION: Do one of the following and retry the command:
o  Insert a diskette in the drive.
o  Close the drive door.
o  Wait until the drive is available.

Interesting ... Then why on same laptop with Win XP install I can connect with PsiWin with completely same procedure?

This does not compute.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 06:02:15 am »
I assume that Netdrive is supposed to mount your Psion as a drive and it is not correctly mounting.
Wonder what would happen if you used a term program to try to connect?
There's also http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/ that I assume would work.

hakuchi

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 06:15:48 am »
I assume that Netdrive is supposed to mount your Psion as a drive and it is not correctly mounting.

This is getting so interesting, that I must move ArcaOS install a bit higher on my todo list :) I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "if you used a term program to try to connect?"

There's also http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/ that I assume would work.

Bookmarked for the rather last resort. I'm no fan of javanything.

Anyway I would rather see this to work with the Netdrive and plugin or other native way. But we will see how this spans out!

Thanks for the link. Somehow this hasn't come up in my searches.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:18 am »
This is getting so interesting, that I must move ArcaOS install a bit higher on my todo list :) I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "if you used a term program to try to connect?"
A program that was usually used to connect through a modem or null cable to another computer.
There's a bunch of them at https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?path=%2Fpub%2Fos2%2Fapps%2Fcomm. I haven't used any in some time so can't recommend any that would work with a null cable, perhaps ZOC, it's shareware but likely good enough for testing.

hakuchi

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 10:19:13 am »
Ah!

Term brings into mind, TERM environmental variable, terminal emulation etc. for the Unix mind. But about the same. I was thinking while I'm testing things I might as well go directly for Ã…siftp or something like that what was on the list at Hobbes.

I'll just have to install first. Probably tomorrow or so ...