Author Topic: PMMail version 3.24.1.1981  (Read 6890 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
PMMail version 3.24.1.1981
« on: March 22, 2020, 04:53:20 pm »
I would like to compliment Neil, Doug, and Gregg on the new improvements.  It is working great.  The new setting pages look good..

I have one question.  On my Yahoo ATT email server, I created a folder called Archive.  I put all my important emails in so they don't get deleted.  I created a folder in PMMail called Archive.  How do I get PMMail to download the archive to my PMMail archive folder?

Remy

• View Profile
Re: PMMail version 3.24.1.1981
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:47:19 pm »
I havent PMMAIL installed but to see remote folders, you should connect using IMAP while POP3 generally gets inbox email only.
- imap  (no email locally saved except if you do it)
- pop (locally saved email)

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 05:58:37 pm »
I havent PMMAIL installed but to see remote folders, you should connect using IMAP while POP3 generally gets inbox email only.
- imap  (no email locally saved except if you do it)
- pop (locally saved email)

I changed POP in Receive to IMAP.  It downloaded the inbox folder with no problem.  It still did not try to download the Archive folder to my PMMail archive folder.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:16:23 pm by David Graser »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 06:48:50 pm »
PMMail does not support IMAP.

I suppose the parts of IMAP that are identical to POP might work.

Neil
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 07:06:26 pm »

PMMail does NOT do IMAP. Period. If someone wants to add that feature, please contact Neil Waldhauer.

I changed POP in Receive to IMAP.  It downloaded the inbox folder with no problem.  It still did not try to download the Archive folder to my PMMail archive folder

Amazing. PMMail does not know about IMAP.

It still did not try to download the Archive folder to my PMMail archive folder.

The only way, that I know about, is to move some, or all, messages into the Inbox, fetch them with PMMail, and move them to the new folder. Be warned, that having too many messages in the Inbox can cause the server to time out, before PMMail finishes downloading all of them. You also need to set PMMail to not remove messages from the server, if you want them to remain on the server (for other IMAP devices).

I strongly suggest a BACKUP, before playing with it. The usual way to use PMMail, is to make the POP server available , then configure PMMail to fetch mail from the POP server. Normally, that will REMOVE all messages from the server Inbox, which makes them unavailable to IMAP devices. If you set PMMail to leave messages on the server, it will remember what was downloaded, and only fetch new messages. If you do that, I would recommend a daily backup of PMMail. If something goes wrong, you can lose the records, and you will need to start over.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 10:11:15 pm »

I changed POP in Receive to IMAP.  It downloaded the inbox folder with no problem.  It still did not try to download the Archive folder to my PMMail archive folder

Amazing. PMMail does not know about IMAP.

It still did not try to download the Archive folder to my PMMail archive folder.

Here are som pics.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:22 pm »
You can use POP to get some messages from an IMAP server, too. Well, sometimes, anyway. Some parts of the protocol are the same. Or else some servers honor both.

PMMail is not intended to use IMAP. You are on your own for how to use an IMAP server with a POP e-mail client.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com