Author Topic: Online learning  (Read 8450 times)

Mike Engle

• View Profile
Online learning
« on: March 23, 2020, 12:52:53 am »
With all university classes going all online I would like a suggestion.  Is there any OS/2 software I could use to create a file (?mp4?) that shows slides (OpenOffice) with voice overs?  I want to create a lecture that students can see the figures (molecular biology) and hear me explain the figures.  I want to then upload the file to the university server.

Thanks,
Mike Engle

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Online learning
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:51:51 am »
FFmpeg is capable of that, but it's command line and has a learning curve. The good news is being cross platform, there should be lots of tutorials out there. The slides may have to be in a format such as JPG, PNG or whatever OO can export slides to as I don't think FFmpeg understands OO slide format. Basically muxing together your images and audio into a video, hard part would likely be the timing.
Good luck, let us know if you succeed.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 03:07:23 am »
Hi Dave

Which is the latest port of ffmpeg to OS/2? The one at hobbes (4.0.2 ) or at the netlabs rpm?

Which LAME works with ffmpeg 4.0.2? I get this error.
SYS1804: The system cannot find the file MP3LAME.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:20:22 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 04:44:32 am »
Ok, I tried ffmpeg 4.0.2 and installed the libraries listed on the readme.

I run ffmpeg -devices to see what it says.
[C:\]ffmpeg -devices
ffmpeg version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 5.5.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --enable-gpl --disable-doc --cpu=i686 --enable-fontconfig --ena
ble-libfreetype --enable-libxvid --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libmp
3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --prefix='h:/tmp/ffmpeg' --disable-sta
tic --enable-shared --extra-libs=-lcx --extra-ldflags=-Zhigh-mem --extra-cflags=
'-isysroot k:/usr/include'
  libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
  libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
  libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
  libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
  libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
  libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
  libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libpostproc    55.  1.100 / 55.  1.100
Devices:
 D. = Demuxing supported
 .E = Muxing supported
 --
 D  lavfi           Libavfilter virtual input device
  E sdl,sdl2        SDL2 output device

Now, I do not know how to record video. I'm looking other samples, but I don't know what is the device.

Like:
 ffmpeg -f avfoundation -i "<screen device index>:<audio device index>" output.mkv
But I don't know the devices name.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 07:22:53 am »
Hi Martin, we don't have any devices besides SDL2 so no way to record video or audio.
You could do it manually, record a wav with a microphone and use a webcam to record video and then use FFmpeg to transcode and mux.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:43 pm »
Ohh, I thought that you can actually do an screen capture with ffmpeg with OS/2. I was trying to do that and needed the command. But I guess you are telling me that is not possible on OS/2 with ffmpeg.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 03:07:50 pm »
Hey Mike!

Oh you bet, take a look at Remy's excellent AVxCAT => http://remydodin.levillage.org/en/realisations.php?item=6900&id=realisations

You can feed it multiple docs and create whatever format you wish. The latest version uses ffmpeg 4.0.2

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 05:24:49 pm »
For university class's, I gave up and used Powerpoint.
Everything else I looked at involved more time and messing around :(

I thought about Libre Office to see if it had an export to 'video file' function but as others were already using Powerpoint I um, gave up.

I did a quick search and found https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/impress-video-converter but only for Windows, Linux
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Mike Engle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 05:59:29 pm »
I was after, some work (that was a challenge for me) got AVxCAT and ffmpeg 4.0.2 running.  It looks like I have to create an audio file first then attache it to the slideshow.

Problem: Following the directions for AVxCAT I can't get the Validate button on the advanced screen to activate (unshadow).  I may be missing something in the Video stream: dialog box.  But my screen (unlike the screen shot in the help) never shows the slider bars for first frame(s): and last frame(s):.  So maybe something is wrong with my install.

Question:  What software do you suggest to make an audio file?

Working hard,
Mike

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 01:45:26 am »
FFmpeg is also capable of transcoding audio files. If I remember correctly, I linked lame for MP3 and it should also handle AAC and ogg. You can also use lame on the command line.
OS/2 itself should handle a basic USB microphone, recording to wav, though I've only tested with a USB turntable that presented itself as a microphone.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 11:20:23 am »
I was after, some work (that was a challenge for me) got AVxCAT and ffmpeg 4.0.2 running.  It looks like I have to create an audio file first then attache it to the slideshow.

Problem: Following the directions for AVxCAT I can't get the Validate button on the advanced screen to activate (unshadow).  I may be missing something in the Video stream: dialog box.  But my screen (unlike the screen shot in the help) never shows the slider bars for first frame(s): and last frame(s):.  So maybe something is wrong with my install.

Question:  What software do you suggest to make an audio file?

Working hard,
Mike

Did you select a file you added to enable advanced function ?

AVxCAT is easy to use as soon you will mix multiple videos into a video slideshow
Now, if you don't have videos how to do ?

Create an image from you first slideshow picture.
Generate an audio file about this picture description

Now, change defaut image used to create MP4 from audio file.
Add the audio file into the container and convert it into a MP4 video file which results into you first slide with audio
Proceed to next.
After creating all slides with audio. Create the video slideshow (an xml file) which include start point and end point of each video to play in the given order. Once the play list is created, you can play the video slideshow
Hope this will help you.
Regards   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:38:16 am by Remy »

Mike Engle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 06:24:48 pm »
Yep.  I am getting there.  OpenOffice will export each slide as a jpeg using the export as html.  This also gives me the option of simply setting up the slides on a web server.  All I have to do is generate an audio file for each jpeg then add one line of code in the html file and good to go.

To get the timing right on a mpeg4 video, I am thinking of using AVxCAT to generat a mp4 of each slide which would be the length of the audio file.  Then combine the mp4s into one file using AVxCAT.  That gets around timing the audio to the default specified time for each slide.

I am hopeful.  Now to record the audios, where is that mic that came with OS/2 back in the 90s?
Thanks for the help.  I will continue to update.
Mike Engle

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 08:16:11 pm »
Yep.  I am getting there.  OpenOffice will export each slide as a jpeg using the export as html.  This also gives me the option of simply setting up the slides on a web server.  All I have to do is generate an audio file for each jpeg then add one line of code in the html file and good to go.

To get the timing right on a mpeg4 video, I am thinking of using AVxCAT to generat a mp4 of each slide which would be the length of the audio file.  Then combine the mp4s into one file using AVxCAT.  That gets around timing the audio to the default specified time for each slide.

I am hopeful.  Now to record the audios, where is that mic that came with OS/2 back in the 90s?
Thanks for the help.  I will continue to update.
Mike Engle

Hi Mike,
AVxCAT can use by default a "cover.jpg" image as soon this one is in the same path as the audio files to convert into videos (was done to simplify full audio cd/mp3 to video).
To extend this possibility, I did a temporary update you can get which is able to take the image (jpg or bmp "OS2") having the same name and under the same path as the audio file. This allow yoou to convert many audio files into video file in one run. Easier to process...

http://remydodin.levillage.org/doc/realisations/downloads/avxcat_fix.zip    (just repplace existing avxcat.exe with this temporary fix (no bldlelvel included)

Regards
Remy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:20:45 pm by Remy »

onlineuser2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 05:54:29 pm »
Off topic?
Any chance for an audio-video recording softtware or app?
After the great work by Wim Brul.
Also Sigurd in his last video pointed to this need-chance

greetings
onlineuser2

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 03:47:35 pm »
I don't know what audio-video recording software is, but look in the Qt5 apps for other platforms and see if there is something.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com