Author Topic: usbdrv233  (Read 4895 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
usbdrv233
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:17 am »
I installed usbdrv233 and rebooted and noticed I no longer had access to my removable USB drives.  The clue was the "an removable media monitor" disappeared.  This has happened before.  The problem is the new usbcalls.dll.  When I copy ver 3.32 usbcalls.dll over the 3.33 version and reboot, the removable media monitor is back and my usb drives are recognized.   

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Re: usbdrv233
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 05:14:06 am »
Thanks for that, solved the missing printer problem :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:14:12 pm »
I installed usbdrv233 and rebooted and noticed I no longer had access to my removable USB drives.  The clue was the "an removable media monitor" disappeared.  This has happened before.  The problem is the new usbcalls.dll.  When I copy ver 3.32 usbcalls.dll over the 3.33 version and reboot, the removable media monitor is back and my usb drives are recognized.

This cannot be the reason. I also use the removable media monitor together will all of the USB 10.233 USB stack and it works without a problem. By the way: the "removable media monitor" does not make use of USBCALLS.DLL and USBRESMG.SYS at all. It directly cooperates with USBMSD.ADD. So what you might want to try is to keep USBCALLS.DLL and instead backlevel USBMSD.ADD and see if THAT is the problem.

Edit: in 10.233, usbcalls.dll is UNCHANGED (except for the version number) compared to 10.232.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:21:37 pm by Lars »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:32:01 pm »

This cannot be the reason. I also use the removable media monitor together will all of the USB 10.233 USB stack and it works without a problem. By the way: the "removable media monitor" does not make use of USBCALLS.DLL and USBRESMG.SYS at all. It directly cooperates with USBMSD.ADD. So what you might want to try is to keep USBCALLS.DLL and instead backlevel USBMSD.ADD and see if THAT is the problem.

Edit: in 10.233, usbcalls.dll is UNCHANGED (except for the version number) compared to 10.232.
Hi Lars

I did as you suggested.  I copied the 3.32 usbmsd.add and sym file over the 3.33 versions.  I then replaced the 3.32 usbcalls.dll and sym with the 3.33  version and rebooted.

You are correct.  The problem is not the usbcalls.dll, but has something to do with the usbmsd.add.  However, when making these changes, I see no difference in the file sizes.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:55:22 pm »

Hi Lars

I did as you suggested.  I copied the 3.32 usbmsd.add and sym file over the 3.33 versions.  I then replaced the 3.32 usbcalls.dll and sym with the 3.33  version and rebooted.

You are correct.  The problem is not the usbcalls.dll, but has something to do with the usbmsd.add.  However, when making these changes, I see no difference in the file sizes.

Update:  I recopied the entire 3.3 version over again and everything is working as it should.  I don't understand what happened the first time.  Lars, everything is working fine with you latest version.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 05:42:32 pm »
About file sizes: the files are usually compressed by the linker (with a somewhat lousy compression scheme that the linker applies. These compression schemes exist since OS/2 2.x times).
That said, if you don't have major changes in a file, the file might not change in size.
File sizes are not reliable and do not "tell the whole truth".