Author Topic: MeShell commandline frontend timetable  (Read 72040 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
MeShell commandline frontend timetable
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:12:03 am »
The last 3 month, I have posted a lot of very OS/2 specific programming questions in the programmers section. Meanwhile, the project of a new OS/2 commandline frontend made a lot of progress. At the moment, I am fixing only minor bugs (false cursorposition in editor...) and the main job is done. A lot of things work better than I originally expected.

What is already done:
- Adaption of the ME editor for the new purpose
- Base cmd.exe functionality (especially cursor up/down command history)
- Base stdin/out functionality
- handling VIO input/output
- User settings notebook, load and save settings
- (soon) saving and restoring output

What I do not implement in the first version 0.5, but for the 1.0 version:
- Command completion with flyover dropdown field (as an user option)
- WPS integration (e.g. doubleclick to a filename from "dir" output opens the file via WPS default connection)
- navigation/history window with a tree, sorted by: Level 1 current directory, Level 2 entered command to jump back into the editor and to restore old commands

But this stuff is much more easier to implement than the stuff which is already done.

I need some help from you for specific jobs:
- I am not an english native speaker (I am german). I need a real native speaker which reads and corrects my english docu. The english docu draft for version 0.5 will be finished in perhaps 1 week and will be extended later.
- If the program should be localized besides english and german, I need help from native speakers. A few text parts (from the WDsibyl environment) are already in nederlands, italian and russian. But first, I have to divide all language specific data from the normal code. Localization makes only sense when the 1.0 version will be nearly finished (in perhaps 2-3 month).

After receiving the corrected english docu, I will publish the first version 0.5. I do not want to publish a version with bugs which are already known and at the moment, I myself find continously minor bugs in daily use and can fix them without problems.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: MeShell commandline frontend timetable
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:34:20 pm »
Hi Martin,

I should have asked this earlier if I had been thinking.  Have you had a look at  Jonathan de Boyne Pollard's command line utilities?  They might have given you some help.

If you need help editing the 'English' English version of your documents I can put on my editors hat and help.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 05:00:02 pm »
Hi Martin,

I should have asked this earlier if I had been thinking.  Have you had a look at  Jonathan de Boyne Pollard's command line utilities?  They might have given you some help.

If you need help editing the 'English' English version of your documents I can put on my editors hat and help.

It is a shame that Jonathan would never release his source code.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:14 pm »
Hi Martin

Thanks for keep coding for the OS/2 platform. I hope to see your MeShell tool in your website soon. Please let us know.
I also hope that some of your OS/2 software gets eventually open sourced, so the knowledge can be shared and preserved.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 11:33:39 pm »
Ivan,
thank you for your kind offer can you send me an E-Mail directly? See www.hypermake.com thank you.

Martin,
yes, I plan to send the code to other persons as a backup if it has got a final state. At the moment, I do a lot of bugfixing and I am not satisfied with the state of my programs.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:06:36 pm »
I have finished now MeShell 0.5 commandline frontend for cmd.exe and 4os2.exe.

Please read carefully the readme.txt and the help chapters 1 and 3. You have to understand the concept first before using the program.

Here you can download MeShell.zip (500 kB)

This is the first pupblished version. Please collect bugs and comments and E-Mail them to me.

Ivan and others: If you want to edit the help docu, please send me an E-Mail. But I will only send the docu source to one person simultaneously and I will note this here. The docu source is in Hypermake format. You can edit it with an arbitrary editor (without syntax highlightning), with Hypermake or with WSedit.

Please do not upload to hobbes or to other locations at the moment.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 02:56:08 pm »
Hi Martin,

I sent you an e-mail several days ago, I hope it got to you.  If not use ivan10atfreedotfr (remove at dot).

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »
I've sent the docu source to Ivan now.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 09:46:13 pm »
Got them thanks, will start tomorrow.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 07:41:48 pm »
 Please turn off the setting on the Save page of the settings notebook: "remove similar commands from list". This is buggy. Entering a command can crash MeShell. I will fix this in the next update.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 05:17:01 pm »
Now I have published version 0.51. A lot of critical bugs are solved. Now the program should be ready for "daily use". I have not implmenend new functionality. English docu is revised (thanks to Ivan!) and a german docu is also availabe. Locatiion is still the same.

Please read carefully the readme.txt and the help chapters 1 and 3. You have to understand the concept first before using the program.

Here you can download MeShell.zip (500 kB)

Please collect bugs and comments and E-Mail them to me.

Please still do not upload to hobbes or to other locations at the moment.

I am sorry, but there's a big problem left: Do not execute a cmd file with PAUSE command. I start a new thread in the programmers section for solving the problem.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 01:26:58 pm »
Please repeat the download. I have updated to MeShell to version 0.52  MeShell.zip (650 kB). Now PAUSE works again. The bug also refers to a malfunction, when a program wants user input.
But user input of a program is still not perfect, because cmd.exe does not send a text in the same line before entering input. PAUSE is not envolved.

PAUSE requires pressing ENTER, even the text is "press any key".

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 11:53:16 pm »
Yes, it works!

Would you like to add some mouse actions, for example, "Select, Copy and Unselect" when "Shift" is pressed?

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 10:37:59 am »
"Select, Copy and Unselect" when "Shift" is pressed?

Please take a look at the "Feeling" page of the settings notebook. The editor should be comparible with other editors. Or do you want specific commands? Please be more concretely.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 04:08:54 am »
Let's call it "Click and Select".

Then, if "Shift" is pressed, — Copy (into Clipboard) and Unselect.