Author Topic: Thinkpad T430s - Wireless Setup  (Read 4525 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Thinkpad T430s - Wireless Setup
« on: April 14, 2020, 06:36:15 pm »
Greetings,

Just getting back into os/2 from the 90s. I have a thinkpad T430s 8gb ram. I cannot get wireless going I have one of the following cards, I had to retrieve from ibm based on model,

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 [8086:0085]
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN [8086:4238]
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 [8086:4239]

My second concern is non of the winos2 works, I tried updating that file that’s been around here the vio* something. Nothing has worked thus far.

Any and all help appreciated!

Regards,

Rick
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:35:49 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Re: UNIAUD Update: Thinkpad X250 - The Perfect ArcaOS Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:25:40 pm »
Greetings,

Just getting back into os/2 from the 90s. I have a thinkpad T430s 8gb ram. I cannot get wireless going I have one of the following cards, I had to retrieve from ibm based on model,

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 [8086:0085]
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN [8086:4238]
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 [8086:4239]

My second concern is non of the winos2 works, I tried updating that file that’s been around here the vio* something. Nothing has worked thus far.

Any and all help appreciated!

Regards,

Rick

None of that will work, until Arca Noae finds the time to finish the Multimac WiFi drivers. Right now, it is more important to get USB 3 working, and that project is slowly gaining ground. Just not enough people who know how to do it, and not enough hours in a day to do all of it.

Most people get a device that will attach to the wired NIC, and do WiFi. The last one, that I got, was a Netgear model EX2700 N300 WiFi Range Extender. It works well, with OS/2, and it is useful for other things too.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:10:26 pm »
Read this thread to see what will work for wifi.

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,2019.0.html

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Thinkpad T430s - Wireless Setup
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 07:39:39 pm »
Hi.

I just slip the topic to try to help Rick in a better way.

Rick, it is good to know that you have ArcaOS. Can you please post the output of the pci.exe command.
Here I have an article on how to use it.

You can run it as "C:\sys\install\detect\pci.exe >pciout.txt" and share on the forum the pciout.txt file. With that we will know exactly the hardwareID of the wifi card.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 10:15:50 pm »
None of that will work, ....

Hi Doug.

So you think is not even worthy to try GenMU with those? Those models are listed on the GenMU test version, but as you told before there are different firmwares on the adapter and the majority  does not work. It is not even worth the try?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Thinkpad T430s - Wireless Setup
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 11:08:00 pm »
Hi Doug.

So you think is not even worthy to try GenMU with those? Those models are listed on the GenMU test version, but as you told before there are different firmwares on the adapter and the majority  does not work. It is not even worth the try?

No. The problem is that they, apparently, use ACPI to do the power control. Windows has a separate driver for that, we have no such thing (unless somebody can figure out how to do it).

I shouldn't say "No".  The Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 [8086:0085] and Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN [8086:4238] have both been reported to work, but not in Lenovo products. I think HP still has power control that works with GENMAC. Both of those drivers are packaged in the GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-5-0.wpi package. The Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 [8086:4239] driver is packaged in the GenMU_TEST-0-5-1.wpi package, but nobody has reported that it will work, with anything.

See ftp://genmac@ftp.os2voice.org/ (use the word "unsupported" as a password - no quotes, and it must be lower case). Be sure to READ the instructions, carefully.

So, first, you need to know exactly which device you have (C:\sys\install\DETECT\pci.exe will list what is in your machine), then you need to install the base GENMAC package (do not select any devices, unless your exact device is listed, and automatically shown, in which case, use that one), then you need to install the appropriate GENMU driver, then you need to use NAPS to actually install it so the system can use it. REBOOT. If the driver will load (look in C:\IBMCOM\LANTRAN.LOG to see what it says), it will probably work exactly like a wired NIC, with no cable attached. Turning the power on effectively attaches the cable (but can't be done, if it requires ACPI control - also check if there is a physical switch). Then, you need the XWLAN package (which includes the Supplicant program, that actually does the negotiation with the access point), to get connected.

Please, let us know if it actually works. The Netgear model EX2700 N300 WiFi Range Extender was only CAD $30 at Amazon.