Author Topic: New PC - Gigabyte B450M S2H / Ryzen 3 3200 G  (Read 9098 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
New PC - Gigabyte B450M S2H / Ryzen 3 3200 G
« on: April 11, 2020, 01:42:52 am »
Took the plunge (had a towel ready), after reading Ivans post I decided to get an AMD based machine. Gigabyte B450M S2H mainboard with a Ryzen 3 3200 G processor. Installing arcaos latest beta went smoothly, using PS2 keyboard and mouse (both had been lying in the parts bin for over 10 years). I haven't tested everything yet. Network works, sound driver loads but no speakers connected yet, so not sure it works. USB didn't install, because the board has only XHCD hardware. After installing the beta available to testers USB works, although I have only tried reading, not writing to MSD. USB keyboard and mouse work. Both (different models) Samsung 1 TB SSD's gave problems, as they did in another machine. Replaced one with a Western Digital one I bought, and that one does function well. Seems at least some Samsung SSD's and our AHCI driver are a bad combination. Will create a ticket for that at a later date. Panorama works well, came up in the right resolution.  Arcamapper did not report my complete nethood, but using ip address it could connect. Already did away with it, because I installed the full Netdrive package. So far, this has been a good experience. The only problem is, not more then 1.556.064 K physical memory available. Free shared memory however is 303 M, which is more than on my other machine. Don't expect it to be a problem, but time will tell. Next step is ordering another WD SSD and completely implement my current system on the new one. After that, decommission the old one. Anyone interested in a Core2Quad Asus P5Q deluxe?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:30:40 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: New pc
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 02:50:08 am »
If you are on the Arca Noae tester's list, you may have access to a solution for the memory problem. Of course, I really shouldn't be discussing the ins and outs of test software on OS/2 World.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 03:24:53 am »
I ran with 1.5GBs of memory for a while. Mostly it was fine, the swap file would get used a bit but it almost never thrashed and having the swap file on the ram disk or a fast SSD should be unnoticeable.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 04:21:48 am »
Hi Guzzi.

Can it be possible for you to share the PCI.exe report and also the lsusb report, so I can include your mainboard on the OS2World wiki.

- Which Network driver are you using?

Here is what I wrote for the wiki at the moment: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Gigabyte_B450M_S2H

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 12:41:52 am »
Hi guzzi,

Glad to hear you are having success using a Ryzen processor.  You have an advantage over me by having access to a USB 3 driver, I'm stuck with having to use a real USB 2 addin card (at least there is now someone with a Ryzen CPU testing the USB 3 stack).

I am rather surprised at the amount of memory you say is available.  My units all have 8 GB installed and use 4GB of that as a ram disk.  I think there may be a problem with how memory is reported because I get different results using different programs.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:13:35 am »
ArcaOS includes the mem program that works well. especially with the /v parameter.
Code: [Select]
H:\>mem
12,169 MB  (3,241 MB accessible to system)

H:\>mem /v

Total physical memory:     12,169 MB
Accessible to system:       3,241 MB
Additional (PAE) memory:    8,928 MB

Resident memory:              133 MB
Available virtual memory:      66 MB

Available process memory:
  Private low memory:         347 MB
  Private high memory:      1,792 MB
  Shared low memory:          263 MB
  Shared high memory:         955 MB

But it is known that certain UEFI systems have weird memory layouts where only a small amount of memory is accessible by OS/2. Holes in the memory maps or such. These systems may not really bedesigned for 32 bit systems.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 03:30:07 pm »
Hi guzzi

I'm just curious here, Do you think there is a chance that it will work to connect two monitors (dual-head) so you can extend your OS/2 desktop in two monitors?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:44:07 pm »
lsusb gives no output. pci.exe output attached.

There is 8 GB of memory installed
Mem /v gives:
Total physical memory:      6.114 MB
Accessible to system:       1.519 MB
Additional (PAE) memory:    4.595 MB

Resident memory:              160 MB
Available virtual memory:     866 MB

Doc says multiple monitors are possible.  But afak panorama doesn't support that. System has DVI, VGA and DVI ports, one of each.

Available process memory:
  Private low memory:         330 MB
  Private high memory:        896 MB
  Shared low memory:          227 MB
  Shared high memory:         402 MB

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:03 pm »
So about 2GBs below the 4GB boundary are vanishing. You should open an issue at Arca Noae.
Be interesting to try SNAP on the machine.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 11:37:12 pm »
I had and still have a similar problem. It was closed as not fixable.

These are the most interesting parts that Dmitry wrote:

In theory, memory still there, but just not listed.
But it may be used partually - by BIOS/UEFI code.
So, even if I try to add test command "add area to the address space", it may overwrite something and, also, a real size of address space is unknown.

They can can do that because both 64 bit systems and even 32-bit with PAE can handle it freely. But we cannot. Even PAE requires >32 bit physical address for device drivers in the kernel api.

In other words, as I understood that: Without PAE, we have to live with the values the BIOS reports, even though they're wrong.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 12:15:27 am »
Hooked up my speakers and can now test audio. No sound at first, added a swatch to uniaud32.sys to use the second sound adapter. Have sound now but...
On startup the sound repeats. I think this is an old problem but I forgot the solution.

Edit: Sound now works thanks to the aOS autofix utility (well, actually I rebooted and lo and behold)

Opening a dos window hangs the machine, as does a win-os/2 one. The difference is that in the latter case I see an hourglass.

Dos full screen works partly. Skyglobe works, Commander Keen runs but the display just flashes vague coloury screens.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:03:08 am by guzzi »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 05:08:10 am »
lsusb gives no output. pci.exe output attached.

Thanks Guzzi. It seems that pci-ids file is outdated, but I was able to search for the devices and create this table:
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Gigabyte_B450M_S2H#Devices
Let me know if you think is alright.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 04:42:35 pm »
Hi guzzi,

win-os/2 does not work in windowed mode on any of my Ryzen machines but is OK in full screen mode.  Haven't tried DOS in either mode.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 07:03:26 pm »
So about 2GBs below the 4GB boundary are vanishing. You should open an issue at Arca Noae.
Be interesting to try SNAP on the machine.

Tested, SNAP only offers 640x480 resolution so reverted to Panorama..

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »
Interesting that it only offers 640x480, I guess they're moving away from VESA support and eventually even Panorama may not work.
I'm using Snap with a Ivy Lake GPU and it offers all the standard resolutions, which was a surprise as usually the wide resolutions are not available using the VBE Gradd driver.