Author Topic: ArcaOS Install Error. USB3? UEFI?  (Read 3434 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
ArcaOS Install Error. USB3? UEFI?
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:23:16 am »
Hi

I just want to know which error does ArcaOS 5.0.4 gives you when you try to install on an unsupported system like USB 3.x or UEFI.

I'm guessing that the attached image is the error, or the "dead point" that you are supposed to get when you try to install ArcaOS from an USB flashdrive on an USB 3.x port. Am I right?

What should the error be on an UEFI system (without compatibility mode) ?

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS Install Error. USB3? UEFI?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 01:02:56 am »
What you picture shows, is what happens when OS/2 boots, but is unable to read the ISO file (usually because the USB driver is not available so it can read from a USB stick, but just as often, a user has forgotten the part to copy the ISO file to the sub directory on the stick). You can probably get around that, by putting the ArcaOS installer in a, slightly less than, 2 GB partition on your HDD (formatted FAT16), and install from that. The "problem" is, to get the system to boot from that partition. Air Boot will do it, if you can figure out how to install Air Boot. The other option, is to use a DVD install. That can be done from an external, USB DVD drive.

UEFI is a whole different thing. First, the boot device needs to have some way to boot, using UEFI (the current installer just won't boot). The Arca Noae experimental UEFI installer has a way to do that. As I understand it, only a DVD boot will work, currently, so the USB 3 driver is not used (unless you need to connect an external DVD drive, by USB 3). There are a few other requirements, that are supposed to go away, when they figure it out. Note, that booting the UEFI installer does NOT do anything for GPT drives, yet. You still need a MBR disk.

Don't worry about UEFI, yet. That project hasn't gone past the pre-alpha stage, and it is likely to change a lot, before it gets much further.