Author Topic: Setting up Arca OS on Lenovo Yoga S1 12, running into a few hiccups  (Read 13395 times)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
I've decided to give Arca OS a shot on a Yoga S1 which I was recently given and while most of it's been a breeze so far, I've inevitably ran into a few issues which I can't quite get past... In order to avoid going into a ramble I'll list them out as plainly as I can.

>Whilst trying to get the touch screen to function, I've been getting an error during boot stating that amouse.sys is not installed and therefore the line in CONFIG.SYS has been ignored. I am currently using the latest version of the Arca Noae driver. The hardware manager also tells me the driver has been installed however and appears to refer to amouse.sys for AUX_0 PS/2 and MOUSE_0 IBM

>When trying to run UVCVIEW, I am getting the 0000FF14 Obtain Thread error. The webcam light turns on but I receive no picture.

>Audio is working which is a relief, but it seem be playing both through the 3.5mm jack and the speakers. I've used the /A:1 switch as the wiki recommends but the recommended startup.cmd script simply errors out and doesn't seem to do anything useful.

As always, thank you all kindly for your advice.

I'm also currently searching for any solutions that might already exist and will update as I go if I find anything in order to help future users who may run into the same problems.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
Re: Setting up Arca OS on Lenovo Yoga S1 12, running into a few hiccups
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 12:48:50 pm »
Hi Hakeem,

>Whilst trying to get the touch screen to function, I've been getting an error during boot stating that amouse.sys is not installed and therefore the line in CONFIG.SYS has been ignored. I am currently using the latest version of the Arca Noae driver. The hardware manager also tells me the driver has been installed however and appears to refer to amouse.sys for AUX_0 PS/2 and MOUSE_0 IBM
It seems to me that you added amouse.sys to your config.sys whereas you needed to modify the existing amouse.sys device driver statement.

>When trying to run UVCVIEW, I am getting the 0000FF14 Obtain Thread error. The webcam light turns on but I receive no picture.
The webcam uses isochronous transfers that are not yet supported by the ArcaOS 12.x USB drivers. Try and use the 11.17 drivers instead. Or use the latest Lars Erdmann USB driver set.

Wim

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:49:13 pm »
Hi Ibrahim

I always like to document the tests of hardware on ArcaOS and OS/2.
Can you please provide me the Model number of your Thinkpad and the PCI.exe and lsusb report (I got this article explaining how to do that).

My plan is to document your machine also on the OS2World wiki for reference.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 07:30:59 pm »
Hi Ibrahim

I always like to document the tests of hardware on ArcaOS and OS/2.
Can you please provide me the Model number of your Thinkpad and the PCI.exe and lsusb report (I got this article explaining how to do that).

My plan is to document your machine also on the OS2World wiki for reference.

Regards

No worries at all Martin, my Thinkpad is a type 20CD and I've got the requested output TXTs attached. Please tell me if there's anything else I can do to help.

It seems to me that you added amouse.sys to your config.sys whereas you needed to modify the existing amouse.sys device driver statement.

I misread a vital step in your guide and after following it correctly I was able to boot without any errors with the drivers appearing to load correctly... unfortunately touch is still not working. I've also attached a copy of my config.sys because I feel I may be making a trivial mistake without even realizing it. I am also thinking that there might even be a hardware compatibility issue due to this being an older version of the device for which the driver was originally written for...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:28:42 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 11:11:26 pm »
Thanks Ibrahim

Here it is: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Lenovo_Thinkpad_Yoga_12_-_20CD
Let me know what else you will like to add.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:26:21 pm »
Hi again.

I haven't tried this, so I don't have much experience, but I see this on your config.sys

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\XSMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\sys\apps\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS STYPE=XSMOUSE$
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:06CB:7244:0005 /N:$FINGER$ /S /V
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:056A:00EC:0135 /N:$STYLUS$ /S /V
RUN=C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE

On the hardware report I don't see the "06CB:7244" device. But on the report I see a "ELAN capacitive 10-point multitouch touchscreen / 04f3:0254".

Do you think you may have to change that on config.sys ??

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:57:05 am »
Hi again.

I haven't tried this, so I don't have much experience, but I see this on your config.sys

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\XSMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\sys\apps\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS STYPE=XSMOUSE$
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:06CB:7244:0005 /N:$FINGER$ /S /V
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:056A:00EC:0135 /N:$STYLUS$ /S /V
RUN=C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE

On the hardware report I don't see the "06CB:7244" device. But on the report I see a "ELAN capacitive 10-point multitouch touchscreen / 04f3:0254".

Do you think you may have to change that on config.sys ??

Regards

I tried editing config.sys to reflect the inaccuracy but unfortunately, still no luck. Thank you for the wiki page but unfortunately the digitizer pen is just as problematic as the finger touch at the moment, neither are currently working.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 09:20:33 am »
in config.sys, try:

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:04F3:0254:1112 /N:$FINGER$ /S /V
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:056A:00EC:0131 /N:$STYLUS$ /S /V

That at least, this addresses devices that actually exist in your system. I don't know if it's the ones you are expecting though. Looks like there is a camera here:
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:8087:07DC:0001 /N:$MYCAM$ /S /V

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 09:33:42 am »
Sorry, the last device was some wireless device from Intel. The builtin camera should be this one:

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:04F2:B39F:0261 /N:$MYCAM$ /S /V

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 01:01:32 pm »
As Lars wrote earlier the proper lines for pen and touch are:

Code: [Select]

With these lines I expect the pen to work. I expect touch not to work because the program expects a different device.

The webcam program works with usbcalls.dll and usbresmg.sys and usbecd.sys should not be used for this device.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 07:19:50 pm »
As Lars wrote earlier the proper lines for pen and touch are:

With these lines I expect the pen to work. I expect touch not to work because the program expects a different device.

No such luck I'm afraid. I'm still not getting any response from the pen or from normal touch (I even ran an Ubuntu live disk to verify it's not a hardware issue, it's definitely operational).

The webcam program works with usbcalls.dll and usbresmg.sys and usbecd.sys should not be used for this device.

I'm glad to say I'm no longer getting any error messages, the webcam appears to function with the recording light turning on but I am still met with no video.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:58:34 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 03:38:30 pm »
No such luck I'm afraid. I'm still not getting any response from the pen or from normal touch (I even ran an Ubuntu live disk to verify it's not a hardware issue, it's definitely operational).
Rem out the "RUN=C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE" line in config.sys and reboot. In a command window use "C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE /v" to get debug ouput on stdout. Try and use your pen to see if it is working. Post your results.

I'm glad to say I'm no longer getting any error messages, the webcam appears to function with the recording light turning on but I am still met with no video.
Perhaps the mjpg decoding in uvcview.exe is not good enough. Click on "Testshot" to capture raw input data. Captured input data is written to the UVCVIEW.RAW file for later inspection. This could be of help in situations where the WebCam Viewer is working but the displayed picture stays black. Post your results. Try uvcview /u to watch yuyv video.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 07:51:56 pm »
Rem out the "RUN=C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE" line in config.sys and reboot. In a command window use "C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE /v" to get debug ouput on stdout. Try and use your pen to see if it is working. Post your results.

The results are as follows:
opening finger
[00000003]
stopped.

Still no functionality I'm afraid.

Perhaps the mjpg decoding in uvcview.exe is not good enough. Click on "Testshot" to capture raw input data. Captured input data is written to the UVCVIEW.RAW file for later inspection. This could be of help in situations where the WebCam Viewer is working but the displayed picture stays black. Post your results. Try uvcview /u to watch yuyv video.
yuyv appears to fix the camera issue entirely, I'm happy to say the camera is now working perfectly. It's a shame I didn't try the /u flag beforehand as it's clearly there in the documentation
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:19:44 am by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 01:21:06 am »
Hi Ibrahim.

Is the TouchScreen and Pen now working? Can you please share the config.sys so I can update the wiki page?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 07:19:25 am »
Hi Ibrahim.

Is the TouchScreen and Pen now working? Can you please share the config.sys so I can update the wiki page?

Regards

Hi Martin. Sorry but neither are still working at this point... I'll update my previous post to clarify that too
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:42:23 am by Ibrahim Hakeem »