Author Topic: Setting up Arca OS on Lenovo Yoga S1 12, running into a few hiccups  (Read 13380 times)

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
Re: Setting up Arca OS on Lenovo Yoga S1 12, running into a few hiccups
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 11:18:42 am »
Rem out the "RUN=C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE" line in config.sys and reboot. In a command window use "C:\OS2\BOOT\YOGA12.EXE /v" to get debug ouput on stdout. Try and use your pen to see if it is working. Post your results.

The results are as follows:
Code: [Select]
opening finger
[00000003]
stopped.

Still no functionality I'm afraid.

Strange. Seems to me that in config.sys the $FINGER$ device driver statement is missing or still not correct. Please check again.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 11:51:28 am »
Perhaps the mjpg decoding in uvcview.exe is not good enough. Click on "Testshot" to capture raw input data. Captured input data is written to the UVCVIEW.RAW file for later inspection. This could be of help in situations where the WebCam Viewer is working but the displayed picture stays black. Post your results. Try uvcview /u to watch yuyv video.

yuyv appears to fix the camera issue entirely, I'm happy to say the camera is now working perfectly. It's a shame I didn't try the /u flag beforehand as it's clearly there in the documentation

Nice. However, I really would like you to attach UVCVIEW.RAW created from the procedure outlined above (using uvcview without parameter) for me to inspect.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 01:06:01 pm »
Nice. However, I really would like you to attach UVCVIEW.RAW created from the procedure outlined above (using uvcview without parameter) for me to inspect.

I apologize for not attaching this beforehand, I've uploaded it with this post. From inspecting the file myself I see it is putting out a picture, the UVCVIEW program itself just doesn't display it.

Strange. Seems to me that in config.sys the $FINGER$ device driver statement is missing or still not correct. Please check again.

I had REM'd the line referring to $FINGER$ before I ran YOGA12.EXE /v. With that corrected the output opens with this:

started.
 opening finger
 opening stylus
 opening tablet
 finger configuration

And then loops on this:
stylus configuration
 stylus configuration
[0000001D]

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 08:18:05 pm »
I apologize for not attaching this beforehand, I've uploaded it with this post. From inspecting the file myself I see it is putting out a picture, the UVCVIEW program itself just doesn't display it.
No need to apologize. I am glad it is now available so I may improve my mjpg decoder once I find the time and feel like it.

And then loops on this:
stylus configuration
 stylus configuration
[0000001D]
The program is retrying because usbecd.sys reports an i/o error. Please report which USB driver set you are using. Try and use the Lars Erdmann USB driver set.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 10:38:34 pm »
The program is retrying because usbecd.sys reports an i/o error. Please report which USB driver set you are using. Try and use the Lars Erdmann USB driver set.

I am currently using the latest Lars Erdmann driver set (10.234) however seeing this error is still occurring makes me doubt that I have installed it correctly. My procedure was to uninstall all Arca Noae USB drivers using the Warpin installer, then to copy in the files from the Erdmann driver set.

With hindsight, I'm pretty sure this was quite incorrect and I would greatly appreciate having the method of installing these drivers explained to me.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 11:48:20 pm »
Hi

The load order in config.sys is different for the later AN USB drivers so replacing those with an earlier release would require re-ordering USB drivers in the config.sys file.

Here is an example "load order" for pre "USB3" (I think USB3 starts with the AN v12.??) drivers:-

BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:8
DEVICE=M:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=M:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS

You will need to check your USB "load order" matches the above and add more USB DEVICE lines to the end of the above as needed.

Hope that helps

Pete
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:50:30 pm by Pete »

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 10:32:11 am »
Hi,

i am using a Model 20DL. Stylus and Finger work perfect for me (Thanks Wim & Sigurd). I did not test the camera. 

I am using AN USB 12.04.

REM [################
REM [USB section
REM [################
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0
BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD /CDS:1
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:06CB:764A:0005 /N:$FINGER$ /S /V
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:056A:00EC:0135 /N:$STYLUS$ /S /V

I had to adjust the parameters and used https://ecsoft2.org/usb-resource-manager-device-monitor to get the info (in USB 12.03 there was an issue with usbresmsg. This was fixed in 12.04)

bests

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 04:00:44 pm »
I have prepared Yoga12-20200422.zip containing two rexx scripts for you to try out:

1. Run ofinger.cmd in a command window to obtain and show raw finger events. Touch the screen with your finger to see if that works.

2. Run ostylus.cmd in a command window to obtain and show raw stylus events. Touch the screen with your stylus to see if that works.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 05:00:33 pm »

I am currently using the latest Lars Erdmann driver set (10.234) however seeing this error is still occurring makes me doubt that I have installed it correctly. My procedure was to uninstall all Arca Noae USB drivers using the Warpin installer, then to copy in the files from the Erdmann driver set.

With hindsight, I'm pretty sure this was quite incorrect and I would greatly appreciate having the method of installing these drivers explained to me.

The easiest to install my drivers is this:
unlock \os2\dll           (this is to release USBCALLS.DLL so that it can be overwritten)
unlock \mmos2\dll      (this is to release USBWAV.DLL, DEVDEV.DLL, USBAUDIF.DLL so that they can be overwritten)

unzip the ZIP file to the root directory (with paths maintained):
unzip usbdrv234.zip -d \

For audio driver install, there is an additional step:
change to directory \mmos2
unzip usbaudio.zip -d \var\temp\usbaudio
unzip usbwav.zip -d \var\temp\usbwav

change to dir \var\temp\usbwav
minstall /*

change to dir \var\temp\usbaudio
minstall /*

You can reinstall the AN drivers at any time. Just rerun the AN WPI installer.

Note: the config sys ordering mentioned by Pete is completely irrelevant to my drivers, I have changed the drivers to remove these dependencies. They will work either way, the "old" and the "new" AN way.

Lars

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 05:09:57 pm »
Hi Lars

Note: the config sys ordering mentioned by Pete is completely irrelevant to my drivers, I have changed the drivers to remove these dependencies. They will work either way, the "old" and the "new" AN way.

Lars

Useful to know, Thanks.

Pete

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 06:20:51 pm »

The easiest to install my drivers is this:
unlock \os2\dll           (this is to release USBCALLS.DLL so that it can be overwritten)
unlock \mmos2\dll      (this is to release USBWAV.DLL, DEVDEV.DLL, USBAUDIF.DLL so that they can be overwritten)

unzip the ZIP file to the root directory (with paths maintained):
unzip usbdrv234.zip -d \

For audio driver install, there is an additional step:
change to directory \mmos2
unzip usbaudio.zip -d \var\temp\usbaudio
unzip usbwav.zip -d \var\temp\usbwav

change to dir \var\temp\usbwav
minstall /*

change to dir \var\temp\usbaudio
minstall /*

You can reinstall the AN drivers at any time. Just rerun the AN WPI installer.

Lars

Lars, can you include a small txt file with your drivers including this info?

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:40 pm »
I have prepared Yoga12-20200422.zip containing two rexx scripts for you to try out:

1. Run ofinger.cmd in a command window to obtain and show raw finger events. Touch the screen with your finger to see if that works.

2. Run ostylus.cmd in a command window to obtain and show raw stylus events. Touch the screen with your stylus to see if that works.

Thank you for the cmd files

Running ofinger.cmd resulted in the following output:
Set Configuration Failed!
The output of ostylus.cmd was:
Set protocol failed!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any further than this despite following Lars' advice on installing his driver kit and doing my best to make sure config.sys was up to date. I'm currently backing up my system and once that is complete I may do a fresh reinstall and try following the steps on a clean slate - I'm sincerely hoping that may yield better results than what we've been facing so far.

I have also once again attached a copy of my config file for anyone who is interested.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 09:25:23 am »
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any further than this despite following Lars' advice on installing his driver kit and doing my best to make sure config.sys was up to date. I'm currently backing up my system and once that is complete I may do a fresh reinstall and try following the steps on a clean slate - I'm sincerely hoping that may yield better results than what we've been facing so far.

I have also once again attached a copy of my config file for anyone who is interested.
I looked into your config.txt file and after the "REM [END USB section" line it contains duplicate "BASEDEV=USBD.SYS" etc. statements. Take your time to scrutinize.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 02:57:48 pm »
Hi All

Looking at Ibrahims issues I guess it is time to look into updating USBcfg to help "Newbies" get to grips with USB configuration issues.

I suspect it is going to involve a few more "If" lines with regard to writing out USB config.sys in the correct order for the BuildLevel of the base USB drivers installed.

In order to do that I could do with the BuildLevels of Lars and AN drivers that use the later config.sys load order and the exact order required by those drivers.

Also got to work on the other sections, definitely USBMSDB, to reflect Lars changes/updates; have to download his latest and have a rummage through the readme for behaviour and parameters that are different.

Also ought to check out any updates to Wims USBECD driver.

I am sure there will be a little more to do....

I did update the interface and get USB3 support basically in place a while back and have been testing it as an "internal release". The USB3 support will need a little tidying but, at the moment, I am not in a position to update my expired AN driver subscription so could someone Please post any USB3 specific details - maybe from the readme.txt

Well, it looks like covid-19 aka Corona Virus is going to be around for a while yet so I guess when The Wife has not got me gardening/hoovering/washing up etc at least USBcfg will give me something to do other than vegetating in front of TV or deafening myself playing LPs/CDs  :-)

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 04:06:45 pm »
Hi Ibrahim

Just as side note, I kind of like to use a tool to organize the config.sys, but this is optional and as a personal preference. I use lcss to organize the config.sys and make it easy to try to find some things on it.  It is optional.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.