Author Topic: VirtualBox Shared Folders question  (Read 5284 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
VirtualBox Shared Folders question
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »
I'm running ArcaOS 5.0.4 as a virtual machine on SuSE Linux Tumbleweed. I have 2 installs of ArcaOS running, one on drive K: and the other on drive C:. Is there anyway I can share a folder and move files between these two drives?

Thanks for any advice

klipp

mauro

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox Shared Folders question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:04:16 pm »
hi Klipp, according to what happens in my Windows hosted Virtualbox having 3 different OS2 Warp 4.52 machines installation , the answer is yes:  if I run all of those 3 machines at same time, they are sharing the same folder setted in the host, and any machine can pickup/exchange files in there during the opened session

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:40:46 pm »
Hey mauro, How are you doing,I haven't talked with you in many years, I'm older than dirt now!
Could you elaborate a little more on how you set up the host share in Linux. I'm doing something wrong.
Glad to see you still around.

klipp

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 10:49:04 pm »
Hi klipp

I don't understand if you want to have one host drive shared with two guest ArcaOS VMs running at the same time. Or if you want a shared drive between the two ArcaOS VMs.

To share a directory from a host to the ArcaOS VM I'm using "Valery's Unofficial VBox Guest Addons". He has a readme there that explains how to install it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 11:02:13 pm »
Hi Martin, Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to share folders between 2 ArcaOS guests (actually three)using a Linux directory as th "go between". I think I'm not identifing the linux directory correctly, possibly. I have valerius's guest additions but am sticking with Orracles version as they are different. If I can get them working I will then try using valerius's version.

klipp

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 12:26:21 am »
Hey mauro, How are you doing,I haven't talked with you in many years, I'm older than dirt now!
Could you elaborate a little more on how you set up the host share in Linux. I'm doing something wrong.
Glad to see you still around.

klipp
I'm doing well thanks, same hope you do, maybe I'm not the mauro you know, joined this forum since later 2018 but I'm glad to meet you.
So, to set a shared folder for one or more guest machines in Virtualbox you need the OS2 Guest Additions to be installed in each guest system, and adding "Shared Folder" option in their Virtualbox settings from where you will browse the folder to select, allowing for it read/write and bidirectional properties.
Installing OS2 Guest Addition it's a bit tricky (it was for me) but I succeeded thanks to Valery's package which has been here linked by Martin,  and the brilliant support received.
While setting the Shared Folder in the Virtualbox gm configuration is an easier task.  I did it in Linux too and do not remember exactly if furthemore I had to open a terminal for giving complete access permissions to the choosen folder, but in case it's only a matter of
sudo chmod 777 (foldername)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:32:47 am by mauro »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 05:02:43 pm »
Hi

Maybe Klipp is confusing Mauro with "Robert Mauro" that used to hang out here some time ago.

Klipp, Robert Mauro haven't connected here is a long while, but he still post some things at Facebook from time to time.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 06:38:21 pm »
Martin! Thanks a bunch for setting me straight about Robert Mauro, he was a distant friend and helped me on many occasions.
And to the new mauro, Thanks for the help, I now understand how to accomplish what I'm trying to do with Shared Directories.

klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:50:29 am »
Well, I thought I had this licked,--- but NO CIGAR! All works fine, except I can only move 8.3 files between directories.
Anybody got a solution?

Thanks  klipp