Author Topic: HD Audio not working on MSI A68HM-E33 Motherboard  (Read 7181 times)

mfny

HD Audio not working on MSI A68HM-E33 Motherboard
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:40:14 pm »
Hi all,

Having an issue on this board whereby 2 "HD Audio" devices do appear in Hardware Manager drop down menu, but with no details on the Device tab when ether is selected(Name,Description,Vendor,Version) and no Audio works. I get the following in the Testlog:

Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.1
Detected UNIAUD version 2.02.05
Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
Error: invalid number of PCM instances for adapter 0
Card info for adapter 0:
  num: 0
  id: Generic
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HD-Audio Generic
  longname: HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb64000 irq 27
  mixer: ATI ID aa01
  componenets: HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100500

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: HD Audio not working on MSI A68HM-E33 Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:06:10 am »
Do you have something like this in Config.Sys to select which adapter to use?

DEVICE=K:\MMOS2\UNIAUD32.SYS /A:1
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 05:45:28 pm »
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum.

Can you please share more information about your hardware. You can generate and share here your pci.exe report and lsusb report, I have this article that explain how to do that.

Are you using ArcaOS ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mfny

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 08:27:40 pm »

Setting this manage to get audio working but it is very poor quality, apparently this is a know issue with the codec on this board :(

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 05:47:31 pm »
Hi Matthew

Let me know if you can post the pci.exe report. Maybe I can compare the HardwareID with some other reports and with some luck maybe someone else reported a good result.

Regard
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 11:42:25 pm »

Setting this manage to get audio working but it is very poor quality, apparently this is a know issue with the codec on this board :(

Why poor quality ?
You just select the correct audio adapter  (this is always the case when you audio has more than one adapter and the firs one doesn't work :D

follow instruction from here:
https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/uniaud/debugging/

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:44:50 pm by Remy »

mfny

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »
Poor quality in this case meaning crackles/pops/stutters. As to why this happens, I dont know ? I see it mentioned as being an issue for various Realtek ALC codecs for quite some time.

Why poor quality ?
You just select the correct audio adapter  (this is always the case when you audio has more than one adapter and the firs one doesn't work :D

follow instruction from here:
https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/uniaud/debugging/

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 06:44:58 am »
Poor quality in this case meaning crackles/pops/stutters. As to why this happens, I dont know ? I see it mentioned as being an issue for various Realtek ALC codecs for quite some time.

I have one of those. I haven't bothered to report it to Arca Noae, because it does the same thing in windows (not quite as bad). My sister has an identical machine, with the proper Realtek windows driver, and it is okay. From what I have been able to find out, there is an open input, that is not controlled, and that picks up any noise that may be nearby. The Realtek driver must have some way to turn it off, but that doesn't do us any good.

mfny

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 06:13:13 pm »
I have no issues with it in Windows but then I hardly use it, I have a external USB audio interface (Behringer UMC202HD) I use most of the time as I do music production.

Thankfully this works great instead on AracOS w/  the Lars USB drivers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ cheap and cheerful :)

I have one of those. I haven't bothered to report it to Arca Noae, because it does the same thing in windows (not quite as bad). My sister has an identical machine, with the proper Realtek windows driver, and it is okay. From what I have been able to find out, there is an open input, that is not controlled, and that picks up any noise that may be nearby. The Realtek driver must have some way to turn it off, but that doesn't do us any good.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:15:15 pm by Matthew Feeney »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 07:44:01 pm »
If you properly installed all of the USB audio package,you will be able to use OS/2 Multimedia Setup Object to select between different sound drivers as that normally is a bit unintuitive and tricky under OS/2. Your Behringer should also be supported as the USB audio package also contains support for the new USB audio 2.0 standard, including all the sample rates and bit resolutions that are in use today.
If you also install the USBWAV package, you will also be able to play Alaw,Mulaw,MS Adpcm files (and a few others) as they will be autoconverted to PCM format.

mfny

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 06:36:43 am »
If you properly installed all of the USB audio package,you will be able to use OS/2 Multimedia Setup Object to select between different sound drivers as that normally is a bit unintuitive and tricky under OS/2. Your Behringer should also be supported as the USB audio package also contains support for the new USB audio 2.0 standard, including all the sample rates and bit resolutions that are in use today.
If you also install the USBWAV package, you will also be able to play Alaw,Mulaw,MS Adpcm files (and a few others) as they will be autoconverted to PCM format.

I use the UMC202HD on my main system, so getting that Sabrent thing was the best option for something cheap that works to use on the build i am running ArcaOS on.