Author Topic: WarpIN: Exception on Main thread  (Read 11650 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
WarpIN: Exception on Main thread
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:45:13 pm »
On a remote system, I get a message when I run WarpIN (see attachment)

The log contains nothing special. The WarpIN directory is on the PATH and LIBPATH which is normal on an eCS 1.2r system. All the files seem to be from version 1.0.22.

Removing the database files didn't help. This copy of WarpIN successfully installed OpenOffice 4.1.3 a few years ago. According to the log, nothing has happened since then.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

roberto

• View Profile
Re: WarpIN: Exception on Main thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:51:36 am »
I have not seen this error before, but on some computers if it happens to me I have to kill ACPIDAEMON.exe, because if I don't do it some programs don't work. You can try it.
Saludos

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 07:43:36 pm »
Did you try to open the wpi with archive viewer? May be you can see from there what the problem is.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:51:43 pm »
Hi Neil.

Is it when you run warpin.exe, right? What about if you try to reinstall WarpIn?
Does someone know is the WarpIn 1.0.23 installer is available?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 06:54:30 pm »
The correct answer appears to be the ACPI one. Re-installing WarpIN makes no difference. With ACPIDAEMON.EXE terminated, WarpIN opens it's database normally.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 10:12:07 pm »
The correct answer appears to be the ACPI one. Re-installing WarpIN makes no difference. With ACPIDAEMON.EXE terminated, WarpIN opens it's database normally.
Interesting. Have you tried that with a more recent ACPI version than the version from eCS 1.2r?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 12:30:21 pm »
Remove the Warpin from the libpath. ACPIdeamon ?? That just switches off CPU cores on an SMP when they system is in idle mode.
I can not see how that effects the functioning of Warpin.

Again Warpin directory should not be in the libpath.

Roderick

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »

Neil- I'm glad it's solved for you. From my point of view you can put a rem to the config.sys,
 and sleep peacefully. Since this version came out ARCAOS 504, I am using it like this and without problems.
 But I also tell you that L. Rosenthal told me that I had this problem by myself and it was 0.01% of the
 teams. He advised me to modify the c:\mptn\etc\acpid.cfg.sample
 You can modify this acpid.cfg file, but after a lot of testing I was unable to always operate properly.
I explain:

The cpu can work in two ways, and there are programs that work better in one way than the other, (not all)

Cpu type A

[C:\]cpu 3
No. of CPUs: 8
CPU 1 - Busy: 0.2%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 99.4%
CPU 2 - Busy: 0.2%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.8%
CPU 3 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 4 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 5 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 6 - Busy: 0.3%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.7%
CPU 7 - Busy: 0.5%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.5%
CPU 8 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 1 - Busy: 0.1%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 99.5%
CPU 3 - Busy: 0.5%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.5%

Cpu type B

The same but changing the Busy and Idle values
CPU 1 - Busy: 99.4%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 0.2%
etc...

The cpu type A and B are constantly passing from one point to another.

If you have 2 programs that one is comfortable at one end of the type A cpu and the other at Type B,
 no matter how much you adjust acpid.cfg only one will work well. With my experience
Without the acpidaemon.exe the Truespectra pgpro.exe when starting it shows one or two black bars but
it works, if I turn on the acpidaemos.exe the pgpro.exe does not show the failure of the two black bars.

The other program is DBexpert, if I turn on acpidaemon.exe, dbexpert.exe crashes.
Turning off the acpidaemon.exe the dbexpert.exe works perfect. In your case the warpin.exe
Saludos

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 06:58:25 pm »

Neil- I'm glad it's solved for you. From my point of view you can put a rem to the config.sys,
 and sleep peacefully. Since this version came out ARCAOS 504, I am using it like this and without problems.
 But I also tell you that L. Rosenthal told me that I had this problem by myself and it was 0.01% of the
 teams. He advised me to modify the c:\mptn\etc\acpid.cfg.sample
 You can modify this acpid.cfg file, but after a lot of testing I was unable to always operate properly.
I explain:

The cpu can work in two ways, and there are programs that work better in one way than the other, (not all)

Cpu type A

[C:\]cpu 3
No. of CPUs: 8
CPU 1 - Busy: 0.2%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 99.4%
CPU 3 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 5 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 6 - Busy: 0.3%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.7%
CPU 7 - Busy: 0.5%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.5%
CPU 8 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 1 - Busy: 0.1%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 99.5%
CPU 3 - Busy: 0.5%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.5%

Cpu type B

The same but changing the Busy and Idle values
CPU 1 - Busy: 99.4%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 0.2%
etc...

The cpu type A and B are constantly passing from one point to another.

If you have 2 programs that one is comfortable at one end of the type A cpu and the other at Type B,
 no matter how much you adjust acpid.cfg only one will work well. With my experience
Without the acpidaemon.exe the Truespectra pgpro.exe when starting it shows one or two black bars but
it works, if I turn on the acpidaemos.exe the pgpro.exe does not show the failure of the two black bars.

The other program is DBexpert, if I turn on acpidaemon.exe, dbexpert.exe crashes.
Turning off the acpidaemon.exe the dbexpert.exe works perfect. In your case the warpin.exe
Saludos

I have hard time believing its acpideamon. Did you ever open a ticket about this at Arca Noae ?

Roderick

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 07:11:11 pm »
Hi roberto,

What processor are you using?  If it is an Intel unit it might help to turn off hyperthreading because using it is very unstable and can give the results you are seeing.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 11:25:05 pm »
I have hard time believing its acpideamon. Did you ever open a ticket about this at Arca Noae ?
It does not open any ticket.
When I received the new version 504, I installed it and the Dbexpert did not work for me.
Considering that the dbexpert had it adjusted, and it stopped working, but I did not know the reason.
At that time my anger was important. But I know that informatics is very thankless.

Talk to the support but since only 0.01% failed and ARCA could not support the dbexpert,
it was not appropriate to create a ticket.
After some time looking for the problem, and discovering that the acpidaemon was the culprit.
I reported it in Arca. But never as a ticket, just as a comment.

This comment has already been made before in this forum, but now I have not found it to link it.

I wanted to ask you, you worked with Randell at Sundial Systems.? A very good man.
Could you at some price get the Dbexpert sources.?
saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 12:45:37 am »
Hi roberto,

What processor are you using?  If it is an Intel unit it might help to turn off hyperthreading because using it is very unstable and can give the results you are seeing.
The processor is an Intel i7 2820QM 2.3GHZ
Grilling chops is good.

I really have no problem now, everything works well for me.
This is a very specific problem of some hardware.
saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 02:48:57 am »
Hi roberto,

The processor is an Intel i7 2820QM 2.3GHZ
Grilling chops is good.

I really have no problem now, everything works well for me.
This is a very specific problem of some hardware.
saludos

Your problem is Hyper threading is turned on, which makes old operating systems such as OS/2 very unstable.
Have you looked in your BIOS for a setting to turn it off? That is the simplest. The other way is to pass the correct parameter to acpi to disable the correct cores. If your BIOS does not have an option to turn off Hyper Threading, you should open a ticket as I don't know which bitmask you need.
With only the 4 real cores enabled, you will get much better performance and it should be stable.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 12:29:02 pm »
My problem is not HT ON. The proof is that I have turned it OFF, and everything works exactly the same, from good to bad.
It strikes me that my computer malfunctions, and the Neil works well.
It is not a problem that the processor is stuck at certain points, some programs and some computers.?
saludos

David Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 03:54:30 am »
After I upgraded from ArcaOS 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 using the upgrade (no format and reload) I to am getting this error.