Author Topic: WarpIN: Exception on Main thread  (Read 11642 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: WarpIN: Exception on Main thread
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 04:51:05 am »
My problem is not HT ON. The proof is that I have turned it OFF,

So, why is the CPU command showing 8 processors?

Turn off Hyperthreading.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 01:10:19 pm »
I insist this computer works exactly the same with HT on / off. The only difference is that 4 or 8 cpus appear. So much so that the other day when I modified it to 4, I left it at four because I didn't notice anything, not even in performance. Subsequently, I changed it again to 8, to see if it had influence with another subject, but no.
saludos

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 02:53:51 pm »
Hi roberto,

If you don't see any difference with hyperthreading on or off, try an experiment and turn it off for at least a month, then report back.

I know it is nice to be able to say that you have 8 processors running - the youngsters I build computers for all want bragging rights with as many processors as possible which partly works on windows but not on OS/2 that runs much better on real cores, not partial cores that need a real core to work - and there is the problem, if the real core is serving a partial core and misses the timing for something it should be doing we get traps and exceptions.

Your decision, live with traps and exceptions and fake processors or use real processors only.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 11:39:41 am »
After applying some libc'ish updates via ANPM on my ArcaOS 5.0.3, I've had the exact same issue, yestterday. - Warpin 1.0.22 refused to start with this exact message.

Tried everything, including reduce cores to 1, kill ACPIDAEMON, delete INIs and restart with empty ones.. etcetc.. nothing helped.

Lewis advised me to try out Warpin 1.0.23 from the ArcaOS 5.0.4 CD - Worked INSTANTLY. - Even without reboot.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 02:55:50 pm »
I insist this computer works exactly the same with HT on / off. The only difference is that 4 or 8 cpus appear. So much so that the other day when I modified it to 4, I left it at four because I didn't notice anything, not even in performance. Subsequently, I changed it again to 8, to see if it had influence with another subject, but no.
saludos

Hi Roberto,

Just about the "hyperthreading" subject. I have a i7 5775c
I have HT on under the bios
> I've got many unpredictable erros as well firefox unstability
After disabling the HT CPUs via ACPI parameters under config.sys, all went well (only 4 CPUs dispalied) and performances ares 100% identical with 4 CPU's or 8 CPU's  (I only saw an advantage under windows and this is why I left HT on under the bios)   

David Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 11:57:04 pm »

Lewis advised me to try out Warpin 1.0.23 from the ArcaOS 5.0.4 CD - Worked INSTANTLY. - Even without reboot.

I looked around on the 5.0.4 install disk and the only think WarpIn related seems to be a command line version.  i\Is that the version you were talking about?

Thanks

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 12:26:55 am »
Hi David

You are looking for this ?:\CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\WARPIN.EXE - where ? = dvd/usb/iso drive letter.

Regards

Pete

David Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 03:21:21 am »
The Warpin installer from the CD fixed the issue.  Thanks for letting me know the path.