OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

USBDRV ?

(1/3) > >>

mfny:
I am a bit confused as to what USBDRV is that is mentioned here. is this a replacement for the stock ArcaOS USB drivers with better device support ?

I see it mentioned in particular for USB Audio.. and have ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as this has been mentioned as working fine with USBDRV.

Someone able to clarify this for me ?

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Matthew Feeney on April 29, 2020, 09:24:09 pm ---I am a bit confused as to what USBDRV is that is mentioned here. is this a replacement for the stock ArcaOS USB drivers with better device support ?

I see it mentioned in particular for USB Audio.. and have ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as this has been mentioned as working fine with USBDRV.

--- End quote ---

It is a different development tree. Better support for large sticks out of the box as OS/2 usually needs a partitioned stick and usually sticks look like a big floppy, which only usually works up to 2GB on OS/2. There's also better USB Audio support and IIRC better support for some asynchronous devices.
OTOH, only the ArcaOS drivers are supported by Arca Noae and only those are going to support USB3. Lars is pretty good about supporting his ones but doesn't have access to the ArcaOS source so they've diverged over the years since both branches started based on the sample code supplied by IBM.

mfny:
Happen to know if the USB Audio device i linked will work with the standard ArcaOS drivers as well as the USBDRV ones ?

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on April 30, 2020, 12:18:36 am ---
--- Quote from: Matthew Feeney on April 29, 2020, 09:24:09 pm ---I am a bit confused as to what USBDRV is that is mentioned here. is this a replacement for the stock ArcaOS USB drivers with better device support ?

--- End quote ---

It is a different development tree. Better support for large sticks out of the box as OS/2 usually needs a partitioned stick and usually sticks look like a big floppy, which only usually works up to 2GB on OS/2. There's also better USB Audio support and IIRC better support for some asynchronous devices.
OTOH, only the ArcaOS drivers are supported by Arca Noae and only those are going to support USB3. Lars is pretty good about supporting his ones but doesn't have access to the ArcaOS source so they've diverged over the years since both branches started based on the sample code supplied by IBM.

--- End quote ---

Dave Yeo:
It's class 1 USB audio so should work fine with the ArcaOS drivers.

Neil Waldhauer:
USB audio and WebCam work with Lars drivers and Arca Noae drivers 11.17. Arca Noae drivers 12.x do not yet have support for the USB functions required for audio or webcam.

USB audio works very well. If you are a long-time user, you may have to recall what good support looks like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version