Public Discussions > General Discussion

Old OS/2 user, now newbie!

<< < (2/2)

David Graser:
You need a good file manager.  It makes things much easier to do.

https://ecsoft2.org/system/files/repository/fm2-3-24-0.wpi

A good place to get OS/2/eCS/ArcaOS software is

https://ecsoft2.org/popular

David

ivan:
Hi Axel,

What is your motherboard?  I have had several AMD Sempron based boards up to the Sempron 3850 APU on an ASRock AM1H-ITX which is now my standby unit.

The only problems I have had are with the new AMD Ryzen based boards because they don't have real USB 2 ports and we don't have USB 3 drivers.

axel:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on April 30, 2020, 03:11:54 pm ---Hi Axel. Welcome to OS2World.

Maybe you already know, we haven't hear from the eComStation guys (Mensys and XEU software) since 2016 (aprox). The latest and greatest OS/2 OEM version today is ArcaOS from Arca Noae which is actively updating the installer and doing their best for bugfixing the platform.  If you have the resources I recommend you getting ArcaOS to be able to access the latest drivers and support.

You are in the right place to ask away about ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation.

Welcome back.

--- End quote ---

Thank you I will look into ArcaOS at some point hopefully.
Presently I'm enjoying playing around with eCS to get a feel for things first.  As I mentioned earlier I found myself a little surprised on how far even eCS came from Warp.  I completely understand it's no longer active.  I'm definitely not here to log bugs and feature requests :)

axel:

--- Quote from: ivan on April 30, 2020, 07:47:49 pm ---Hi Axel,

What is your motherboard?  I have had several AMD Sempron based boards up to the Sempron 3850 APU on an ASRock AM1H-ITX which is now my standby unit.

The only problems I have had are with the new AMD Ryzen based boards because they don't have real USB 2 ports and we don't have USB 3 drivers.

--- End quote ---

Acer T125 desktop.  Old AGP+PCI with Via chipset.  Funny enough, since I first posted I have tried installing on 3 other PCs of different ages, learning more as I go about the install options.  I understand there is a USB3 issue.  Also read something in the forums about Ryzen support.  I'm using 10 years and older stuff here at this stage.

ivan:
I had an Acer T180 running as my main computer for years before I built my own Ryzen unit to take over that role.

Ryzen base computer boards work well if you use a real USB 2 addin card although there are usually a couple of odd requirements, first they really need ArcaOS to run the SMP side of things and second, depending on the board layout they might need the hard disk to be imaged to start with.  I have built several Ryzen based units for friends and out of interest I used the hard disk with the base image on it to test them - one failed because I didn't have a spare USB 2 card available so no kb or mouse.  When/if we get USB 3.0 drivers it should be a different story.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version