Author Topic: Re: eCS 2.1 Mouse buttons = 0 [solved]  (Read 6356 times)

axel

Re: eCS 2.1 Mouse buttons = 0 [solved]
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:19:19 am »
Hi all,
Just starting my journey with OS/2 after 20 odd years since I ran v2.1.  Long time ago...

I had a OS2AHCI.ADD missing issue which I worked out with some reading was a bug with the installer and manager to boot the CD again and copy it over from Z:

I experience some coming and going of keyboard and mouse from boot up which is very weird,  never seen anything like that in any other OS I've played with.  Cold power cycle usually resolves.

Anyway,  this might be an easy fix I hope - my PS2 and/or USB mouse for no good reason on boot up works (cursor moves) but there are no mouse clicks.  In System Setup it shows amouse as the device/driver but buttons is 0.  That explains the issue.  Never seen anything like it.  Anyone know how to bring my mouse buttons back?  Worked fine during install and after a few reboots of the installed system.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:16:13 am by Axel Masok »

Pete

• View Profile
Re: eCS 2.1 Mouse buttons = 0
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 12:29:10 pm »
Hi Axel

Sounds like something may be screwed up in the config.sys file.

The USBcfg utility should help sort out any USB problems, comes as a Warpin self install package (.WPI) or standard ZIP package:-

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfg082.wpi
or
https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfg082.zip

Might be worth bookmarking https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/ as a lot of software is uploaded there.

Make sure your mouse is connected via USB before running USBcfg and, hopefully, any USB (including mouse) issues will be resolved.

Other mouse related lines are

LIBPATH=  This line should contain:  H:\ECS\SYSTEM\AMOUSE;

DEVICE=H:\ECS\SYSTEM\AMouse\AMOUSE.SYS SMP

The drive letter H:  is the drive that the above software is installed to here so will, probably, be different on your system..

Long time ago but I do seem to recall something about AMouse and eCS2.1... possibly duplicate lines in config.sys and/or the SMP parameter missing or incorrect.

Hope the above helps

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 03:28:17 pm »
Hi Axel.

For what I read in your other post you have a GP/AMD Sempron PC, a ATI9000 AGP and an Intel Pro100 PCI.

I don't recall exactly with which version of Amouse driver came with eCS 2.1. Let us know if you can do a "bldlevel amouse.sys" (on the path where amouse is) and let us know the version of Amouse.
The downloadable version of Amouse I was able to find is 2.80.03 (2007-10-06)). ArcaOS has a newer one (3.1.3) only available for subscribers.

It can be good also if you want to attach your config.sys here on the forum to get more ideas. Maybe you can return to the mouse.sys IBM driver to give it a try.

It also can be good to check the if there is something wrong with the USB drivers on the config.sys like Pete says, since it is also good to test with some external USB mouse too.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:01 pm »
Hi Alex

If I understand correctly from your other topic, you had a working mouse for awhile  and it suddenly it was not working. You could try to install the original archive that was created during installation.  One of the first things I do after a new installation is to create a new archive every so often to keep up with the changes to the system I have made.

Right click on the desktop, find the Archives tab and check Recovery Choices > Display at each startup.  Choose the number of timeout seconds you want.  Reboot and when the menu comes up, select 0 for the original archive and it will be reinstalled.  See if you mouse works.

David
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:14:31 pm by David Graser »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:01 pm »
If you are using eCS 2.1 there are quite a few things that could be wrong with your mouse.
You either need to purchase ArcaOS or you will need to use my USB driver set which fixes a trillion USB issues compared to what eCS 2.1 came with.
Only after you updated that, can you check if your USB mouse works or not. Remember that you might need to be forced to update your eCS installation CD with updated USB drivers to use USB mouse and keyboard which I don't know how to do in an easy way (there is a difficult way which requires intimate knowledge of some tools but this is not easily explained but I have done that in the past).
As an alternative,boot without any USB keyboard and mouse drivers but the USB base drivers and the USB MSD driver and hope for the best that your BIOS supports USB legacy emulation in which case you will be able to use USB keyboard to a limited extent so that you might be able and copy over (from a USB MSD) all those new USB drivers.
After that is done,ensure that config.sys does NOT load the USBMOUSE.SYS driver from the amouse directory but rather the one in the OS2/BOOT directory (the one from the amouse dir is badly outdated).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:07:56 pm »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

axel

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:15:38 am »
The USB update will be handy thanks very much!
Will take a closer look at Hobbes web site too.
I believe the issue is no longer, I'm pretty sure the amouse and IBM mouse drivers were both loading.  In subsequent installs on other machines here I made sure amouse wasn't selected during install and the strange issue has not presented since.
It was indeed strange that it worked at for a short while, then buttons were no longer recognised.
Anyway, all good now.  I'm looking to install on a Core2Due on Broadwater chipset, 2GB RAM, Realtelk LAN and see how we go.
Thanks everyone for your input.  I do have a better understanding of which mouse driver is which now in config.sys.
Regards

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 08:37:06 pm »
Thanks for posting back.

Axel, you are free to post (on a different new thread)  your experience on the Core2Due on Broadwater chipset machine once you have it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

axel

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 01:49:38 am »
Sure will do.