Author Topic: List of OS/2 Tested/Reported Motherboards  (Read 11626 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: List of OS/2 Tested/Reported Motherboards
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 02:00:06 am »
Hi Martin

Processor: AMD FX-4300

SATA controller is the AMD/ATI, the Marvell has only 2 external eSATA ports. Yes, both work "Yes I can use the eSATA as a "regular" SATA controller by connecting an eSATA disk prior to booting; the disk is then treated as a SATA disk - not removeable."

Not tried dual monitors , currently no ambitions in that direction  :-)

Yes to the MMRE.OS2 driver question.

No tricks required to get audio working - even with Pauls linux 3.2 port from this discussion https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=2436

I do have 1 usb device attached internally, an EVO Labs Internal Multi Card Reader pci 0x048D:0x1336 - the only problem with internal card readers is that it is necessary to manually Refresh Drives in order to get a card recognised after it is inserted.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 02:16:37 am »
Hi Dariusz

AHCI support works fine - the older eCS/AN  V1.32 driver does not have problems initialising ports whereas the later AN V2.0? drivers seem to have initial problems. However the V2.0? driver does work without problems.

This board uses the AMD990FX/SB950 chipsets, everything works barring USB3 - not the fault of the mainboard  :-)
So, probably worth considering; you may even find a reasonable priced "preowned" board on ebay/amazon.

Good hunting  :-)

Pete

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 11:15:58 pm »
Hi Ivan,

...It might be time for you to consider moving up in the AMD world.  I seem to remember that you said your son has a Ryzen based machine - if so there is a simple test you can do - make a disk image of your working system, copy it to another disk then borrow the Ryzen box and swop its HD for your copy - power up and see what happens...

Actually, I do intend to test that box out eventually, however, for the time being I am waiting for AOS to release a UEFI capable USB stick boot since that AMD box does not have a DVD reader. Otherwise, the only way to do this is by doing what you describe and I really can't afford to take a chance that anything might impact that box (dreaded disk mix-up, etc.). My son is using that right now to finish up a bunch of his school projects so from that perspective it's what I consider to be a "production box" status.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 12:42:44 am »
Hi

I forgot Doug's "Asus M5A78L-M/USB3", now it is included on the list.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 03:28:55 pm »
I'd be curious to see in the hardware listings an entry to say "This is available to buy new." vs. "This is of historical interest."

Once a xHCI driver is available, I'd think a few new motherboards would be available.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 04:01:55 pm »
I'd be curious to see in the hardware listings an entry to say "This is available to buy new." vs. "This is of historical interest."
I agree.

Once a xHCI driver is available, I'd think a few new motherboards would be available.
Unfortunately the available amount of RAM for ArcaLoader/qsinit decreases. I would also like to have that info added. (I have here 2 GB, while I count 2.5 GB as the minimum. That's the reason why I don't recommend this MB. Simply getting Martin to add this one, would probably lead to some disappointed people. My MB is from 2017.)

Since the try with the MB above failed for me, I'm very interested in a new Ryzen board. But is should make enough RAM available.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 09:48:59 pm »
Hi Andreas,

On my running system I get

[C:\]mem
7,906 MB  (3,311 MB accessible to system)

but I do notice that there appears to be a different layout for memory compared to Intel boards.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 01:30:44 am »

Hi Neil

I was thinking to separate the list of mainboards from 2010 to 2020 and the rest put it on a "List of Motherboards (Archive)" page, but I wanted the list to grow a little bit more.
I also think that  putting the release year on the list will give an idea if it something that can be found new or historical.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 10:28:00 pm »
Hi Martin,

I think the 'new' boards should be no more than 2 years old - since 2018 there has been a vast change in AMD based boards with the older ones dropping by the wayside rather rapidly.  Here it is almost impossible to get an AMD based board that is more than 2 years old unless you can find one at one of the discount stores or eBay.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:46 pm »
Hi Ivan,

[C:\]mem
7,906 MB  (3,311 MB accessible to system)
thanks, fortunate you.

but I do notice that there appears to be a different layout for memory compared to Intel boards.
Your reported MB is not available anymore.

According to Guzzi's report about an AM4 board with a recent chipset (1.5 GB only), I don't feel to just buy a new one. (Here I have 2 GB with an FM2+ MB.)

Are we now forced to use Intel CPUs? How is the RAM situation on MBs for Intel CPUs? Can anyone recommend a recent type?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 11:05:26 pm »
Hi

I had moved to an archive list the older than 2015 motherboards.
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/List_of_Motherboards

If I get more more motherboard reports I will be moving 2015 to the archive. It feels so sad to have a short list  :'(

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster