OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

Updated Uniaud32 build

<< < (3/209) > >>

Dave Yeo:
Haven't tried this set yet as my speakers are broke, but one thing I've noticed with some sound chips is I have to use PMUnimix to turn up the front speakers to actually get sound, once they're turned up, the regular volume control works.

Paul Smedley:
Hi All,

Thanks for testing, I'll try and post some more specific comments tonight, but for reference, could anyone that's having troubles with the driver based on the linux kernel 3.0 code, try with http://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-trunk.zip ? This build represents the current code in the svn trunk at netlabs.

Thanks,

Paul

Hermit:
Hi Paul,

The uniaud32-trunk.zip driver version works normally, there is sound. The log is attached.

Lars:

--- Quote from: David Graser on May 06, 2020, 08:12:59 pm ---One of the problems I have noticed is that when adjusting the sound level through the sound object in the System Setup folder, it has no effect on the volume icon.  When I first installed the new driver, I had the volume.exe set to 0 and was adjusting with the sound object.  I had no sound with the new driver.  Although sound object set to 100%, the volume controller still showed 0.  It was only when I adjusted the sound with the volume controller did I get my sound back.
This with ArcaOS 5.04.

Easy to test:

Use volume icon to set sound level to 0.
Go to System Setup folder > Sound icon.
Set the volume on the sound icon to 100% and test sound.  On my machine, I had no sound.

There will not be sound until one goes back to the volume control icon and adjust the sound there.

--- End quote ---
That's because the volume set by volume.exe sets the MASTER volume whereas the volume lever in the sound object is the APPLICATION volume (in that case, for the PMSHELL.EXE application as the sound object is a WPS object). In the end, the audio driver just multiplies these two values :-)

Lars:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on May 06, 2020, 10:57:47 pm ---Haven't tried this set yet as my speakers are broke, but one thing I've noticed with some sound chips is I have to use PMUnimix to turn up the front speakers to actually get sound, once they're turned up, the regular volume control works.

--- End quote ---
In the end, this is always true. But in practice, there are some MB providers that are smart enough to crank up the HW volume of the sound device to the max, I suppose by the BIOS/UEFI code already on system start.
If that is not true, unimix.exe/pmunimix.exe will have to do it. That's even one step  before setting MASTER volume and finally APPLICATION volume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version