Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370795 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #930 on: October 02, 2022, 02:04:46 am »
Tom's suggestion is a great one, you can take that a step further and basically control the FULL behaviour of the audio card as far as the various individual controls go.

Basically, manually adjust the controls to what you want them to be first. By the sounds of it you already know how to pull up the different values and set them up.

Once done, you then save the complete set of settings to a file:

'unimix -savesomefilename'

The very next time you want to restore ALL of these settings you execute:

'unimix -loadsomefilename'

I have that load statement in my startup.cmd, which is a super easy way to re-set all the controls to a pre-defined set of values.

This is how you can handle this particular settings, as well as any others that can be adjusted by referencing their ID. In my case, I have some 53 controllable IDs ('unimix -names').

Worked for me, Dariusz so thanks for the tip ...........

Just had to do one thing - at the command prompt used unimix.exe, then the switches:

ie: 'unimix.exe -savesomefilename' and

'unimix.exe -loadsomefilename' which I added to the STARTUP.CMD file I created in the F: root partition. (used a Command Line.CMD template and added that line). Saved it as STARTUP.CMD in the root partition.

Didn't need to do that previously, I think but whether you add "unimix" to the command line or "unimix.exe" it still got me to the same place - IOW a file that was saved, and a command file that loads those settings automatically.

Yet another item for Testing Guide v1.2 and thanks, Sir!

M
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:08:55 am by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 03, 2022, 04:26:42 am »
Hey All,

For those that follow linux kernel development, the 6.0 kernel was released today. So what's a guy to do on a Public Holiday? Update the uniaud32-exp code to the 6.0 kernel of course ;)

New builds at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-6.0-20221003.zip

Cheers,

Paul

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 03, 2022, 03:05:35 pm »
Paul, Sytem sounds work well. But 123PM is broken.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 03, 2022, 04:31:55 pm »
Heh Paul!

Hey All,

For those that follow linux kernel development, the 6.0 kernel was released today. So what's a guy to do on a Public Holiday? Update the uniaud32-exp code to the 6.0 kernel of course ;)

New builds at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-6.0-20221003.zip

Cheers,

Paul

The Linus 6 UniAud32 is installed on both systems and:

Manticore II - AD1988B - sound perfect - both system and PM123 - all sound channels present in PMUnimix

Manticore II - SB Recon3D (ca0132) - sound perfect - both system and PM123 - still just shows one sound section in PMUnimix, which is non-functional, as per previous tests

Hyperfire - ALC892 - sound perfect - both system and PM123 - all channels present - auto-mute disabled directly from STARTUP.CMD

@Eugene - Heh Sir! Which PM123 version are you using? Tried it and worked on v1.37 and v1.41.

Best!

M
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:45:42 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 03, 2022, 04:39:12 pm »
Mark I am using the latest 1.43. on one computer it will not make any sounds and on the other it just quits after 26 seconds. No error messages and unimix -card is the same.PMuimix is fine too.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 03, 2022, 07:13:15 pm »
Heh Eugene!

Mark I am using the latest 1.43. on one computer it will not make any sounds and on the other it just quits after 26 seconds. No error messages and unimix -card is the same.PMuimix is fine too.

Downloaded v1.43 and have been playing it for about 10 minutes no problem. (AC/DC Hells Bells - love that song!)

However reading the changes in v1.43 in the Warpin file I did note this:

- you can now mute audio via playback menu, hotkeys or a uPnP client.

I had a look at the playback menu and there is a Mute setting at the bottom. Ypu might want to see if for some reason it enabled itself (you know some programs now have a mind of their own <sic>)

Also you might want to have a look at unimix -names

If there is an id for "Auto-Mute" present for your sound card or chipset, you might want to try to disable that:

unimix -idx -val0=0 where "x" is the ID of the Auto-Mute switch - I'm assuming your sound adapter is 0.

The Auto-Mute issue might have crept in to affect other chipsets this time around with the Linux 6 tree.

As to sound cutting out - have not encountered it here with v1.43, at least so far, so not sure what may be a problem there.

Best!

M

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 07:18:27 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 03, 2022, 08:00:25 pm »
Mark, thank you! I will try your suggestions.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 03, 2022, 08:10:36 pm »
Mark, thank you! I will try your suggestions.

One thing I didn't mention previously, Eugene, is that when I had the problem, I could see PM123 running and operating correctly (sound bar moving across the PM123 display) - just had no sound.

If your hearing system sounds, then its probably not Auto-Mute as that would affect the system sounds as well - but that new mute function seems a likely candidate to at least try.

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 03, 2022, 08:15:07 pm »
For comparison, there is also the latest mpg123, basically the same audio backend but simpler, maybe a better decoder. Cmdline.
Enable netlabs-exp, do yum install mpg123, disable netlabs-exp, mpg123 path\to\foo.mp3

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 03, 2022, 08:58:01 pm »
Heh All!

Prior to going out in the yard to try to finalize my winterization (see cold weather on the horizon), I had time to complete v1.2 of the UniAud32 testing guide, which is attached below:

the major changes are:

- added a Table of Contents at the front
- clarified that UniAud16 files and lines do not need to be removed to run UniAud32
- Added a Workarounds section, compiling the Sound Volume fix suggested by Andy, the workaround related to Cold Boot as opposed to Warm Boot, and what we discovered with Auto-Mute being enabled by default and how to disable it (a special thanks to Tom and to Dariusz, related to both using and explaining how to add Unimix statements to STARTUP.CMD).

Any other suggestions for getting these drivers to work, or suggestions related to the guide always welcome and Best!

M
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 11:22:59 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 03, 2022, 10:29:17 pm »
To all, I got PM123 working. Thanks again to Mark f9rt his suggestions.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 03, 2022, 11:24:52 pm »
Heh Eugene!

To all, I got PM123 working. Thanks again to Mark f9rt his suggestions.

So what worked?

M

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 03, 2022, 11:45:51 pm »
Mark, I am not sure it just started running again. I learned in IT to hate these things that fix themselves as they would have a tendency to return.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 04, 2022, 12:28:44 am »
Mark, I am not sure it just started running again. I learned in IT to hate these things that fix themselves as they would have a tendency to return.

My systems have personalities ............. some days they just work, some days they work, under protest .......... and then they just don't want to work somedays ............. and are normal the next day.

In one of the Indian cycles called the Upanishads there is a passage which refers to the Goddess of Night, Ratri - "who knows the limits of night, or the moods of a woman" - I like to believe that can apply to computer systems as well .........

I've not been in IT but I have learned from 42 years of emergency response, some problems, and their solutions simply ........... A-R-E

M

As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny.

-- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (IV.4.5)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:40:14 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »