Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 400312 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #960 on: October 09, 2022, 11:35:10 pm »
Hey Paul,

A little late, but the 20221003 version 6 build works fine here...

Regards,

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 11, 2022, 04:36:37 am »
Heh Paul!

Hey Mark,
Much simpler explanation... See https://github.com/psmedley/uniaud32/commits/uniaud32-next?after=716c19a32ab8e49891508fdf0a92dcb769ad69d9+34&branch=uniaud32-next&qualified_name=refs%2Fheads%2Funiaud32-next

(this is a github mirror of the netlabs svn - the netlabs trac interface is a bit clunky). Simply put, the patch_ca0132 backend code was only compiled in to uniaud AFTER the update to 5.10.50.

Cheers,

Paul

Interesting

Do you recall if anything other than the backend was ever committed after that?

Testing for the Recon3D has yielded the same results after that, up to the kernel 6 versions - works, but no mixer control and no surround sound.

Also, had some time tonight, after Thanksgiving festivities, to have a third look at the SB Xi-Fi Titanium, which still does not produce any sound.

I've been able to trace back to where the card was not recognized, and then the build where it was:

Up to build 5.9.16 20210104, I got the same window running PMUnimix as was attached previously, with the Recon3D - IOW it recognized none of the controls.

However, with build 5.10.10 20210124 , PMUnimix started reporting 6 sound sections - I've attached the testlogs for both 5.9.16 and 5.10.10 below.

Interestingly, the Xi-Fi is exhibiting much of the same behavior as with the Recon3D - running PM123, the sound bar is moving on the player and the displays look like something is playing, but no sound is produced. Having a look at unimix -names there is an auto-mute section present at -id11, but disabling it similar to the ALC892 chipset has not produced any effect. I have tried enabling various switches present (I assume the syntax would be -val0=1) but still no sound.

PMUnimix reports the 6 sound sections are on and at maximum value (shown as 103) but don't know if that can be taken as working.

The linux forums indicated a workaround, but haven't actually looked in detail - it is listed as a ca0106 board, so don't know if you committed anything specifically related to that type of card.

Plan to try a couple of other bright ideas with the Xi-Fi this week and Best!

M

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 04:41:02 am by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 11, 2022, 07:31:25 am »
Hey Mark,

Heh Paul!

Hey Mark,
Much simpler explanation... See https://github.com/psmedley/uniaud32/commits/uniaud32-next?after=716c19a32ab8e49891508fdf0a92dcb769ad69d9+34&branch=uniaud32-next&qualified_name=refs%2Fheads%2Funiaud32-next

(this is a github mirror of the netlabs svn - the netlabs trac interface is a bit clunky). Simply put, the patch_ca0132 backend code was only compiled in to uniaud AFTER the update to 5.10.50.

Cheers,

Paul

Interesting

Do you recall if anything other than the backend was ever committed after that?

Testing for the Recon3D has yielded the same results after that, up to the kernel 6 versions - works, but no mixer control and no surround sound.

Also, had some time tonight, after Thanksgiving festivities, to have a third look at the SB Xi-Fi Titanium, which still does not produce any sound.

I've been able to trace back to where the card was not recognized, and then the build where it was:

Up to build 5.9.16 20210104, I got the same window running PMUnimix as was attached previously, with the Recon3D - IOW it recognized none of the controls.

However, with build 5.10.10 20210124 , PMUnimix started reporting 6 sound sections - I've attached the testlogs for both 5.9.16 and 5.10.10 below.

Interestingly, the Xi-Fi is exhibiting much of the same behavior as with the Recon3D - running PM123, the sound bar is moving on the player and the displays look like something is playing, but no sound is produced. Having a look at unimix -names there is an auto-mute section present at -id11, but disabling it similar to the ALC892 chipset has not produced any effect. I have tried enabling various switches present (I assume the syntax would be -val0=1) but still no sound.

PMUnimix reports the 6 sound sections are on and at maximum value (shown as 103) but don't know if that can be taken as working.

The linux forums indicated a workaround, but haven't actually looked in detail - it is listed as a ca0106 board, so don't know if you committed anything specifically related to that type of card.

Plan to try a couple of other bright ideas with the Xi-Fi this week and Best!

Looks like I did work on patch_ca0132.c in Jan 2021 - https://github.com/psmedley/uniaud32/commit/029bdd758e302aeb481eaa118af3cd2cbeb81621 - however you reference ca0106.... I'll have to have a look at that code when I get a chance....

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 11, 2022, 08:52:01 pm »
Heh Paul!

Looks like I did work on patch_ca0132.c in Jan 2021 - https://github.com/psmedley/uniaud32/commit/029bdd758e302aeb481eaa118af3cd2cbeb81621 - however you reference ca0106.... I'll have to have a look at that code when I get a chance....

Did a little more sniffing around today and not a lot of info related to the Xi-Fi Titanium on the Linux forums - a number of reports of no sound or no sound related to headphones, but not a lot of assistance for those problems.

I did note that the Xi Fi Titanium uses the EMU20K2 sound chipset and confirmed that's what is on the card I have installed, via PCI.exe. I've seen varying reports - most consensus is that it uses the Linux ca0106 driver, but there are so many varying versions of the Xi Fi its hard to say that definitively.

So I'm not sure what triggered it being recognized in build 5.10.10 20210104 - I hooked it up to the 5:1 surround sound, tried disabling auto-mute again and enabling Master Playback and trying to up the volume, just in case - no joy with any of the tests.

Anyway, a fine day to you and Best!

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 12, 2022, 02:11:39 am »
Hey Mark,

Did a little more sniffing around today and not a lot of info related to the Xi-Fi Titanium on the Linux forums - a number of reports of no sound or no sound related to headphones, but not a lot of assistance for those problems.

I did note that the Xi Fi Titanium uses the EMU20K2 sound chipset and confirmed that's what is on the card I have installed, via PCI.exe. I've seen varying reports - most consensus is that it uses the Linux ca0106 driver, but there are so many varying versions of the Xi Fi its hard to say that definitively.

So I'm not sure what triggered it being recognized in build 5.10.10 20210104 - I hooked it up to the 5:1 surround sound, tried disabling auto-mute again and enabling Master Playback and trying to up the volume, just in case - no joy with any of the tests.

Sorry, I'm a little confused by the status of the Xi Fi. When you say it was 'recognised' in build 5.10.10 20210104, do you mean it produced sound, or just starting being recognised by uniaud32. I agree that it should be the ca0106 driver for the Xi Fi.

I'm struggling to keep track of what's still not working on your systems, and am having trouble trawling through the forums trying to find the right logs. Can I ask you open a ticket at https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud for any residual issues, and upload logs there?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 12, 2022, 03:56:21 am »
Hi Paul!

Hey Mark,

Sorry, I'm a little confused by the status of the Xi Fi. When you say it was 'recognised' in build 5.10.10 20210104, do you mean it produced sound, or just starting being recognised by uniaud32. I agree that it should be the ca0106 driver for the Xi Fi.

I'm struggling to keep track of what's still not working on your systems, and am having trouble trawling through the forums trying to find the right logs. Can I ask you open a ticket at https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud for any residual issues, and upload logs there?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

As to SB Xi-Fi Titanium - no sound as of 5.10.10 20210104, but recognized and 6 sound sections present, and has been the same since then. Driver ca0106 and sound chip EMU20k2.

As to Recon3D - sound first occurred at 5.10.50, but no mixer, although 1 section (Master Volume Control) is reported in PMUnimix and no surround sound, The same up to the current version you have ported (linux Kernel 6). Driver ca0132.

I can file TRAC reports if you'd like for both and Best!

M

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 13, 2022, 11:05:49 pm »

Yes please

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 16, 2022, 04:35:36 pm »
Heh Paul

Yes please

It seems opening a ticket on TRAC is not an easy process.

Following your link, I got to the UniAud TRAC website, where it indicated I need a Netlabs TRAC login ID and password. I went to the webpage to do so, filled in the necessary information, and received the following bounce back:

fCMS v5.0 FATAL ERROR
Internal Error - Unhandled exception caught!

Tried that three times with the same result.

It indicated that if I was having troubles acquiring that I should send an e-mail to the Netlabs Community Mailing List. Doing that I received the following:

--------------------

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at r2-d2.netlabs.org.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<community@netlabs.org>:
Sorry, only subscribers may post. If you are a subscriber, please forward this message to community-owner@netlabs.org to get your new address included (#5.7.2)

-------------------

So I'm not sure if the webpage you provided the link for has not been updated for awhile (the latest build mentioned is rather old), or if TRAC administration for new users is not being maintained.

If you have a different link, let me know - it looks like if I cannot get a logon ID and password, I cannot open any tickets and Best!

M
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:37:10 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 16, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
Hi Mark, registering at Netlabs has been broken for a long time. Perhaps subscribe to the community mailing list and ask on there. community-subscribe (at) netlabs.org

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 16, 2022, 06:36:52 pm »
Heh Dave!

Hi Mark, registering at Netlabs has been broken for a long time. Perhaps subscribe to the community mailing list and ask on there. community-subscribe (at) netlabs.org

Will try that out, hopefully a little later today.

Hows your fall going in BC? Finished winterizing here, now nearly time to get up some Christmas lights - I'm one of those ones who for some reason, just don't want to put up lights at -20 C ........ can't understand why ........ <sic> ;D

A fine day and week!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 16, 2022, 06:57:39 pm »
Heh again Dave

Well the Bot there seems to have subscribed me me to the mailing list - a message was sent so now I wait to see what comes back.

Thanks for the tip and Best!

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 16, 2022, 07:29:23 pm »
Hi Mark, once you post your request, Adrian will likely get back to you, they're on Swiss time so...
As for the weather, the weirdness continues, 28C yesterday, likely the same today if the smoke doesn't get too thick, normal is 14C with the record being 22C, so very unseasonable along with the drought, 10 mm of rain since July 8, normal is closer to 300 mm, the local reservoir is looking low with Hydro struggling to keep enough water running for the salmon, which are dying like crazy. If you ignore the dying trees and such, it has been a beautiful autumn. Am worried about when the rain shows up, especially after the floods last autumn, if it comes hard there is no way the ground can absorb it.
Enjoy the weather while it lasts. 

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 16, 2022, 09:24:51 pm »
Hi Mark, once you post your request, Adrian will likely get back to you, they're on Swiss time so...
As for the weather, the weirdness continues, 28C yesterday, likely the same today if the smoke doesn't get too thick, normal is 14C with the record being 22C, so very unseasonable along with the drought, 10 mm of rain since July 8, normal is closer to 300 mm, the local reservoir is looking low with Hydro struggling to keep enough water running for the salmon, which are dying like crazy. If you ignore the dying trees and such, it has been a beautiful autumn. Am worried about when the rain shows up, especially after the floods last autumn, if it comes hard there is no way the ground can absorb it.
Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

We got your rain this year, at least up to August - 505 mm then the taps shut off which meant our tomatoes could finally develop in some hot weather - in fact some days the hottest on record in the dog days. Crops were great out here, and the grain is in the barn so to speak - early harvest - had time to even get a lot of wood chopped and corded, so Anne and I will have some lovely fires this winter.

In fact haven't had a hard frost yet, so even the Petunias and Snapdragons are still in bloom, mid-October - I suspect that will end next week.

But yeah - the Year of Strange continues, Sir - hope you guys and gals get a break soon and Best!

M

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 19, 2022, 04:12:55 am »
HDMI Audio update:
As people may have seen, I bought a mini PC that it seems only have HDMI Audio. Currently, with the latest builds, the audio isn't detected. I'm slowly picking my way through the code to determine where things may be falling over, and if those issues can be addressed. Having working HDMI audio would be a good thing (IMNSHO).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 19, 2022, 08:20:40 am »
Wonder if DRM might block HDMI audio from ever working on our system?