Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 397678 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #975 on: October 19, 2022, 08:57:09 am »
Wonder if DRM might block HDMI audio from ever working on our system?

It might..... but I'll keep persisting for now ;)

Current errors:
Code: [Select]
trying to bring up adev

Looking for component u

find_component failed
master has incomplete components

couldn't bind with audio component

snd_hdac_i915_init err = -19

The component 'u' is a mismomer - due to the ported code using %zu which watcom doesn't support. I'll generate a fresh log tomorrow that might be more meaningful...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:55:46 am by Paul Smedley »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 19, 2022, 05:39:44 pm »
Heh Paul!

HDMI Audio update:
As people may have seen, I bought a mini PC that it seems only have HDMI Audio. Currently, with the latest builds, the audio isn't detected. I'm slowly picking my way through the code to determine where things may be falling over, and if those issues can be addressed. Having working HDMI audio would be a good thing (IMNSHO).

Trying some lateral thinking on this problem, so asking a couple of stupid questions of the non-programming variety (anyone can jump in):

1) Currently can we run anything connecting an HDMI cable to a monitor (an obvious example - can we run video that way under ArcaOS / eCS / OS/2 using the current video drivers, Panorama or otherwise)?

2) Is there any way in our OS to redirect audio output from the standard audio connections to the HDMI connection?

I ask because, while fishing around in the Linux forums a few weeks ago, a lot of the problems related to no sound and HDMI in various incarnations of Linux were related to redirecting sound output to the HDMI connection, to get sound to run.

An example is found in this link - https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-no-sound-through-hdmi-in-external-monitor-in-ubuntu/

I know that PMUnimix in both my test systems reports the audio chipsets on my video cards in PMUnimixDebug.txt as "On-board HDMI sound"  (one an ATI Radeon 5770, the other an ASUS Radeon HD 7850). I've connected one of them directly to my monitor (and its Bang and Olafson sound system) via an HDMI cable, but could not produce sound there through UniAud32, switching the audio to their designation (Card 1 - switch /a:1).

So it may be another case, Paul, where either we cannot "see" HDMI or perhaps cannot redirect to it. I hope I'm wrong, but perhaps someone else with programming experience could jump in to indicate if it is possible and how, or perhaps at least know what to look for, coding wise.

Most of the things I have read are related to using the Volume Control (PulseAudio) or Mixer programs to solve the problem in Linux, through redirection, something which may not be possible through Unimix.

May be a stupid question but relevant to the conversation and Best!

M
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:00:15 am by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 19, 2022, 11:44:03 pm »
Hi Mark,

To answer your first question I have two ArcaOs, one OS/2 and one Linux Mint computers connected via HDMI cables to a 4Port KVM switch to my 28 inch 1920x1200 HDMI monitor - all work without problems.

Sound works with the Mint unit but I always get conflicts with the others - apparently too many sound systems on the motherboards and Ryzen processors.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 20, 2022, 12:40:44 am »
Paul did state that on his new machine, only one HDMI port out of the 2 works.
I have had a couple of ATI video cards that have their own audio hardware to drive HDMI etc, whether that is true of builtin graphics or as hinted at in the link, one audio system with the capability to change the output port. I note here, it was only recently that I got control of the headphone port, older uniaud would see the output going to the speakers and headphone port unless Linux was booted first whereas newer drivers allow me to turn off the speakers and use headphones.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 20, 2022, 03:46:13 am »
Heh Dave!

Paul did state that on his new machine, only one HDMI port out of the 2 works.
I have had a couple of ATI video cards that have their own audio hardware to drive HDMI etc, whether that is true of builtin graphics or as hinted at in the link, one audio system with the capability to change the output port. I note here, it was only recently that I got control of the headphone port, older uniaud would see the output going to the speakers and headphone port unless Linux was booted first whereas newer drivers allow me to turn off the speakers and use headphones.

My headphones, and 5:1 surround are also working in the latest builds, with the AD1988B chipset built into my M3N-HT Deluxe motherboard - haven't tried it with the ALC892 chipset on HYPERFIRE.

That's why I thought the possibility of redirection may be the problem, Dave - its seems that what was being talked about in that link and in other posts I read is getting the output to the correct port - only from what I'm getting its using a separate volume control or mixer program in Linux to do that (anybody know how that is accomplished? - addressing the kernel?, creating conf files? - I have no idea how programs like Linux PulseAudio or the various mixers work).

So what I'm suggesting is the HDMI problem here may not be fixable directly within the UniAud32 code.

But the question I'm asking is, if that fails, and redirection is the problem, can anything related to redirection to HDMI be accomplished in some other manner, if Paul finds that the UniAud code cannot be modified to accomplish that.

I was thinking, like the auto-mute problem we discovered, having the capability to change settings through something like PMUnimix, for auto-mute or other settings like output redirection would be useful - however PMUnimix development itself was terminated long ago, I think - and I assume the capabilities of Unimix.exe only extend so far.

But if, as Ivan stated, OS/2 video can be directed through HDMI, there must be a way to direct HDMI audio in a similar manner. Perhaps we need to ask the question as to how that was done in Panorama or otherwise.

Just me and my wacky lateral thinking, out loud, and Best!

M
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 04:05:26 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 20, 2022, 04:00:55 am »
Heh again Dave!

Hi Mark, once you post your request, Adrian will likely get back to you, they're on Swiss time so...

Both Adrian and Steve Levine posted back when I wrote  - I've sent Adrian my preferred UserID as he requested - have not received anything back yet.

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 20, 2022, 06:02:37 pm »
Heh Ivan

Hope your having a fine day!

Hi Mark,

Sound works with the Mint unit but I always get conflicts with the others - apparently too many sound systems on the motherboards and Ryzen processors.

I was intrigued by you getting sound "conflicts with the others" - I was curious as to what you meant by that.

As an example, on each of my ArcaOS test systems, I actually have three sound sources recognized - one on the  motherboard, one on the video card (HDMI) and a PCI Sound Blaster card plugged in. However, using the latest builds of UniAud32, only the default sound source is recognized by UniAud32 (it defaults to the sound source on the motherboard). To access either of the others, I have to add the /a:x switch to the statement in config.sys to redirect to the alternate sources (designated as Card 1 or Card 2), to try to run sound through them - have never run into a conflict, despite having all three installed.

As Paul mentioned, he can't get HDMI sound to work through HDMI - I have the same problem with the Radeon sources on the video cards - is the conflict related to having both an HDMI cable and another sound cable plugged into the same system, or switching between your Linux and OS/2 systems using the KVM?

I'm also using KVM's but a couple of older 8 port Belkins - I don't think I ever tried switching between an active Windows OS on one system and ArcaOS on the other (don't run Linux), to see what may happen sound wise, as I have a number of speaker systems (stereo / surround) plugged directly and separately into various systems.

As I've said before, I'm a hardware geek - my office looks like a Hydra most days to the despair of my wife, and Best!

M
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:00:49 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 22, 2022, 10:14:24 am »
Hey All,

I backed out some of the HDMI code for now to avoid breaking things for others, and have built a new driver based on the linux 6.0.3 code. The binary is at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-6.0.3-20221022.zip - code is in SVN.

I think we may be out of luck with HDMI audio for now - per my comment in the other thread, I was reading https://askubuntu.com/questions/694677/snd-hda-intel-0000001f-3-failed-to-add-i915-component-master-19 and it says "In order to support sound output over HDMI, video drivers for Linux register an "audio component" for the sound card driver (in my case Intel HD Audio a.k.a. snd_hda_intel) to connect to. Once this connection is made, the sound hardware can produce an audio stream for the GPU to multiplex onto the HDMI cable."

Cheers,

Paul

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 22, 2022, 05:36:45 pm »
I can report that the drives are working with system sounds. Still seems to hang a bit with the mouse but could be related to Amouse PM123 sounds good to these ears, but has some quirks. In like it doesn't want to shut down right away but does.VLC2 does not work at all. these may not be attributal to your build of Uniaud.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 22, 2022, 06:54:44 pm »
Hi Paul,

6.0.3 working well here, thanks! Too bad about HDMI - would be great if that could be made to work. I have a Chuwi Larkbox (mini PC) that would be cool to put OS/2 on...

Regards,

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 22, 2022, 10:54:12 pm »
Does anyone know if Display Port sound works?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 22, 2022, 11:01:21 pm »

Pretty sure it's in the same boast as HDMI sound....

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 23, 2022, 12:41:11 am »

Wiki says,
Audio data is transmitted across the main link during the video blanking intervals (short pauses between each line and frame of video data).
So going to need video adapter support.
I notice Linux Mint sees my Display Port as HDMI.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 24, 2022, 08:37:29 pm »
Heh Paul!

Hey All,

I backed out some of the HDMI code for now to avoid breaking things for others, and have built a new driver based on the linux 6.0.3 code. The binary is at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-6.0.3-20221022.zip - code is in SVN.

Cheers,

Paul

Busy weekend entertaining visitors from afar (at least from a different province)

Tested 6.0.3 and everything still relatively the same:

ALC892 chipset (Hyperfire) - Sound perfect up to 5.1 Surround Sound, as long as auto-mute is disabled.

Sound Blaster Xi-Fi (Hyperfire) - no sound but 6 sound sections still reported in PMUnimix. PM123 looks like it is playing and tried disabling auto-mute, but still no sound.

AD1988B chipset (Manticore II) - Sound perfect up to 5:1 Surround Sound - no workarounds or adjustments required.

Soundblaster Recon 3D (Manticore II) - still shows only one sound section under PMUnimix (Master Playback) and produces perfect Stereo sound only (2 speakers) - cannot use Surround Sound.

I still can't access TRAC to file tickets, as Adrian has not given me credentials yet, and the automatic registration system is broken for TRAC. Sent to the mailing list and privately last week - will try again this week.

Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 24, 2022, 08:56:13 pm »
Hey Again Paul!

\
Hey All,

I think we may be out of luck with HDMI audio for now - per my comment in the other thread, I was reading https://askubuntu.com/questions/694677/snd-hda-intel-0000001f-3-failed-to-add-i915-component-master-19 and it says "In order to support sound output over HDMI, video drivers for Linux register an "audio component" for the sound card driver (in my case Intel HD Audio a.k.a. snd_hda_intel) to connect to. Once this connection is made, the sound hardware can produce an audio stream for the GPU to multiplex onto the HDMI cable."

Cheers,

Paul

While testing build 6.0.3, I tried addressing the HDMI card on both test systems and received the same results, as March - a PMUnimix mixer screen is displayed, but no sound sections present.

PMUnimixDebug.txt does show the card info for both, but no other BuildfForm information for either.

That obviously would make sense if the Audio Component of HDMI is missing.

If ArcaOS video drivers can address HDMI currently (at least Ivan reported he could), is it possible to add it there? Or through USB? (don't know how or if HDMI and USB have some synergies) - just asking another dumb lateral thinking question) and Best!

M