Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370560 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2020, 12:26:12 am »
Hi David,

Hi Mike,

Last try (for now): http://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.2.102-MikeK3.zip

I noticed David just released a version of the Uniaudio drivers.  Does your attempts included his fixes?  I noticed KO had a Uniaudio driver on his home page with some kind of patch.  Maybe we need to get all these patches into a unified driver.

My builds are based on a set of diffs I ran against the Netlabs SVN code a couple of weeks ago. You'll notice two recent checkins at Netlabs, one referencing Paul (me) and another referencing Andy.

My changes (to add some PCI IDs to the realtek driver) were included, I mistakenly assumed that Andy's changes were already included in the newer ALSA code from the kernel. The 'Mike3' build above should include the relevant changes from Andy to the realtek driver.

I didn't know KO had built uniaud32, happy to incorporate the changes if they're still relevant.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2020, 12:28:33 am »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I created a branch in Netlabs SVN and uploaded the 3.2.102 code - http://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/browser/GPL/branches/uniaud32-linux-3.2.102

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2020, 06:15:26 am »
Hi David,

Hi Mike,

I noticed David just released a version of the Uniaudio drivers.  Does your attempts included his fixes?  I noticed KO had a Uniaudio driver on his home page with some kind of patch.  Maybe we need to get all these patches into a unified driver.

My builds are based on a set of diffs I ran against the Netlabs SVN code a couple of weeks ago. You'll notice two recent checkins at Netlabs, one referencing Paul (me) and another referencing Andy.

My changes (to add some PCI IDs to the realtek driver) were included, I mistakenly assumed that Andy's changes were already included in the newer ALSA code from the kernel. The 'Mike3' build above should include the relevant changes from Andy to the realtek driver.

I didn't know KO had built uniaud32, happy to incorporate the changes if they're still relevant.

Cheers,

Paul

I believe KO's patches are for small buffers, such as VPC/Odin uses for its audio. 
If you look in sound.c, search for:
  /* Change from Andy. If statement added around 5 statements.
   * Andy says: TODO:  determine why small buffers are a problem for this code
   * 20100107: DAZ: This change is questionable.
   * 20180109: DAZ: This changes causes problems for many systems including intermittent
   * sound and unexpected hangs. Reverted by commenting out the if statement.
   */
The if was my attempt to fix the small buffers issue.  I have locally changed the if to:
  if (periodsize > 416)
rather than the orginal:
if (periodsize > 6 * minperiodsize)
It seems to be better but that may again be on limited hardware.  Basically, the if is blocking out code that, when it was added, caused the VPC sound issues when the periodsize is small.
I thought David had applied the below patch to backout an earlier change, you probably should as it seems it breaks more than it fixed:
Code: [Select]
Index: soundmixer.c
===================================================================
--- soundmixer.c (revision 606)
+++ soundmixer.c (working copy)
@@ -408,13 +408,6 @@
       idx = pHandle->controls[OSS_MIXER_FRONT].idxVolume;
       idxMute = pHandle->controls[OSS_MIXER_FRONT].idxMute;
     }
-    /* HDA codecs workaround from Andy */
-    if (idx == -1)
-    {
-      idx = pHandle->controls[OSS_MIXER_SPEAKER].idxVolume;
-      idxMute = pHandle->controls[OSS_MIXER_SPEAKER].idxMute;
-    }
-    /* HDA codecs workaround from Andy */
     break;
   case OSS32_MIX_VOLUME_MIDI:
     idx = pHandle->controls[OSS_MIXER_SYNTH].idxVolume;
I don't recall the exact volume issue it creates on some systems.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2020, 10:21:15 am »
Hi Mike,
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I have tested the third version as well. I can only see one change in pmUnimix. There is now a control for the mic. Please see attached picture.

The sound is still not clear. Sorry for this bad test result. Attached again the debug log file.

Greetings,
Mike

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2020, 11:45:32 am »
Hi Mike, bugger :( I was hoping that would fix it. I'll try get back to this sometime soon - I'm distracted at the moment looking at Samba Server again.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 10:39:10 pm »
Hello
Excuse me but perhaps this failure may be of your interest.
If I am listening to sound, either from the seamonkey or from the vlc, I select the * find * system
 with the right mouse find ...
 Sometimes only when opening the find, in other cases when opening properties, of the searched and
  found file, I select file.File - properties - filing cabinet. Suddenly it makes a little noise, and from
   there on the *wps* will go crazy, and I have to restart. Although the system still works.

I attach two files, one before the error and the other after the error.
The version of :
 9/07/17  1:52         68.682      0 ----  uniaud16.sys
10/05/20 11:52         37.332    252 a---  uniaud32.sym
10/05/20 11:52        651.742    302 a---  uniaud32.sys

{0}[c:\mmos2] bldlevel uniaud16.sys
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#Netlabs:1.9.7#@##1## 25 Jun 2017 17:11:40     DAZAR1    ::::7
::@@Universal Audio MMPM/2 Driver for OS/2
Vendor:          Netlabs
Revision:        1.09.7
Date/Time:       25 Jun 2017 17:11:40
Build Machine:   DAZAR1
File Version:    1.9.7
Description:     Universal Audio MMPM/2 Driver for OS/2

{0}[c:\mmos2] bldlevel uniaud32.sys
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#Netlabs:2.02.05#@##1## 10 May 2020 18:22:07     ARCAOS-D0C:3.
5.0:::05::SVN@@Universal Audio Driver for OS/2 (c)  Netlabs
Vendor:          Netlabs
Revision:        2.02.05
Date/Time:       10 May 2020 18:22:07
Build Machine:   ARCAOS-D0C
ASD Feature ID:  3.5.0
FixPak Version:  SVN
File Version:    2.2.5
Description:     Universal Audio Driver for OS/2 (c)  Netlabs

It really seems that the conflict is more of the wps than the uniaud32, since in the rest of the cases
 it works well.

Saludos

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2020, 07:54:15 am »
Hey Mike,

Hi Mike, bugger :( I was hoping that would fix it. I'll try get back to this sometime soon - I'm distracted at the moment looking at Samba Server again.

I ended up ordered a X250 Thinkpad for a fairly reasonable price ($A250), that should arrive next week. Hopefully that will allow me to reproduce your issues - and hopefully fix them too :) It's only an i3 but has 8gb ram and a 250gb SSD.

It will also me a much smaller/lighter machine for testing things natively on ArcaOS than the T510 I currently have. It also has Win10 and Office which should be useful for testing as a client against Samba Server on ArcaOS.

Cheers,

Paul

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2020, 11:04:05 am »

I ended up ordered a X250 Thinkpad for a fairly reasonable price ($A250), that should arrive next week. Hopefully that will allow me to reproduce your issues - and hopefully fix them too :) It's only an i3 but has 8gb ram and a 250gb SSD.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,
That sounds good. Installation of AOS shall be working from USB thumb drive without problems. You just need to set it to USB2 mode in the BIOS. And you have to disable the UEFI as well as long as we don't have it. Even installation of eCS2.2Beta2 shall be working using an external CD_ROM/DVD drive. An older eCS2.1 needs to be copied with all recent drivers to be able to boot.
Regards,
Mike

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2020, 11:19:53 am »
Hey Mike!

That sounds good. Installation of AOS shall be working from USB thumb drive without problems. You just need to set it to USB2 mode in the BIOS. And you have to disable the UEFI as well as long as we don't have it. Even installation of eCS2.2Beta2 shall be working using an external CD_ROM/DVD drive. An older eCS2.1 needs to be copied with all recent drivers to be able to boot.

Thanks for the tips - I hadn't gotten as far as thinking about install yet :)

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2020, 01:00:57 am »
Hi All,

I bumped the code to that based on linux 3.6.11 - based on a reboot, I still get sound in a Virtualbox VM...

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.6.11.zip - debug and release builds included.

I'd like to slowly get us to a supported kernel, no idea how difficult this will get as new features are added to the linux kernel that need to be added to uniaud - but as time permits - I'll try and keep looking at this, for as long as there is some interest.

Cheers,

Paul

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2020, 01:44:58 am »
 Hi Paul,

It's working just fine here - system sounds, WPS MP3 objects and YouTube - all on ArcaOS 5.0.5 on bare metal 8086:A170. Thanks for continuing to progress with this! Any chance for multiple streams (so system sounds don't interrupt something else, they are just mixed in)?... or even surround...

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2020, 02:17:43 am »
Hi David,

It's working just fine here - system sounds, WPS MP3 objects and YouTube - all on ArcaOS 5.0.5 on bare metal 8086:A170. Thanks for continuing to progress with this! Any chance for multiple streams (so system sounds don't interrupt something else, they are just mixed in)?... or even surround...

Thanks for testing. In terms of multiple streams - I believe the SBLive driver supported this so it definitely should be possible to support. Surround is likely more problematic unless there was an interface for apps to talk directly to uniaud32 - like kai?

As time permits, I'll keep plugging away at bumping the kernel version - noting that it's over 2 months between 3.5.x builds and 3.6.x builds :)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2020, 07:44:46 am »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2020, 11:03:31 am »

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2020, 10:15:28 pm »
 Wow... those 2 months just blew by!  :D Both of those versions work well here - same as the 3.6 version. I'll stick with the 3.8 version for now and let you know if I hit any issues. Thanks again!

Regards,