Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370544 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2021, 08:43:10 am »
Hi Mauro,

Hi all, sorry to ask this question, can I get installation tips somwhere or is it just un upgrade to a previous installed version ?  If so, which is the uniaud.diff  placing ?
I'm asking because previously -months ago-  I installed uniaud on my OS2 Warp 4.52 Virtualbox machine trying to solve the issue of no sound coming from youtube video in Firefox 45.9, whith the result of not solving this .
By reading these posts I'm understanding that after the update a new attempt  could be done.

The diff is purely to comply with the GPL license - it shows the source code differences between the current code in SVN and this build.

To update a working system:
1) backup \mmos2\uniaud32.sys
2) copy a release\uniaud32.sy* to \mmos2
3) reboot

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 28, 2021, 02:29:13 pm »
Updated build with more cleanups from AlexT from #os2russian that are not yet committed - diff is included:
https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.10.17-20210227.zip

Feedback appreciated.

Hi Paul,
it's working on my T430 flawless. Great work. Will test on my X250 tomorrow and let you know.
Greetings from Potsdam / Germany,
Mike

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #572 on: February 28, 2021, 04:27:55 pm »
Updated build with more cleanups from AlexT from #os2russian that are not yet committed - diff is included:

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

This works on ThinkCentre M720s. The Jan 24 build also works. Thanks!!
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 28, 2021, 06:04:44 pm »
Hi Mauro,

To update a working system:
1) backup \mmos2\uniaud32.sys
2) copy a release\uniaud32.sy* to \mmos2
3) reboot

Ok thank you Paul, did as above. On both ICH AC97 (first) and Intel HD item (after) selected in Virtualbox audio system, everything like before; audio events are well working except sound from FF video play (Youtube). Almost sure it is not an audio driver matter.
So I would say this Uniaud versio is working on my virtual machine system

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 28, 2021, 06:52:51 pm »
Hi Mauro, 2 things to try.adding "SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" (without quotes) in your config.sys, reboot and test.
Download PMUniMix from Hobbes and play with the volume sliders. Sometimes the mixer is not set up correctly and something like the front volume needs turning up.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 28, 2021, 07:23:32 pm »
20210227 works fine with the Thinkpad S12 Yoga, thanks, Paul

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2021, 10:22:01 am »

Feedback appreciated.

Hi Paul,
it's working on my T430 flawless. Great work. Will test on my X250 tomorrow and let you know.
Mike

Hi Paul,

I'm happy to report that the driver not only works on my X250, but it is first time that I can can also use the output line from my docking station.
Really great - Thanks a lot for all your work.

Mike

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2021, 12:35:06 pm »
Hi Mauro, 2 things to try.adding "SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" (without quotes) in your config.sys, reboot and test.
Download PMUniMix from Hobbes and play with the volume sliders. Sometimes the mixer is not set up correctly and something like the front volume needs turning up.

Hi Dave, SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART was already active in config.sys, then tested Uniaud mixer again (tried also previously as you gave me this tip), activating all audio device controls including front, video, aux, pcm  and their cursors .  All as before.
Thank you
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:29:04 pm by mauro »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 05, 2021, 08:36:36 am »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 05, 2021, 12:53:56 pm »

Hi Dave, SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART was already active in config.sys, then tested Uniaud mixer again (tried also previously as you gave me this tip), activating all audio device controls including front, video, aux, pcm  and their cursors .  All as before.
Thank you

Have you installed libkai ? If not, you should, FF will not play anything if libkai is not installed.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2021, 11:54:09 pm »
 Paul,

Thanks for the head's-up... it is working well here. One thing I notice - with your build on my machine, the driver uses IRQ16, but David A's version uses IRQ55. Does he add some secret sauce for that? Is there an advantage to a higher IRQ?

Regards,

P.S. Your Karma is up to 50! Can you levitate?

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2021, 11:59:01 am »
Paul,

Thanks for the head's-up... it is working well here. One thing I notice - with your build on my machine, the driver uses IRQ16, but David A's version uses IRQ55. Does he add some secret sauce for that? Is there an advantage to a higher IRQ?

Yes, in that AT compatibles had 15 interrupts available while early APIC based system had 24 interrupts, with the extra 9 interrupt lines being handled dynamically in a way that could cause problems with certain drivers and hardware, in some cases drivers either did not see any interrupt above 15 or saw any interrupt above 15 a IRQ16 even though the hardware itself supported higher IRQ's. Modern MSI based APIC systems have 224 interrupt lines available, BTW.

A number of old OS/2 drivers will only work correctly with interrupts <16 or <25 and a number of them showing problems with IRQ's higher than 15. While sharing an interrupt is possible both from a hardware and software perspective it can have side effects both on the software side and with the hardware itself such as the interrupt switching modulating the analogue gain stages on a soundcard or a video card with analogue (VGA) outputs. And there are some other issues, drivers like the old Martox ones being quite aggressive in claiming interrupts, clashing with other dirvers and sometimes with the OS itself.

By moving as much of the modern drivers/hardware to interrupts higher than 24 you are simply leaving more space free to legacy drivers and hardware to play with, so to speak, minimising the possibility of software/hardware clashes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 12:08:03 pm by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2021, 03:38:12 pm »
Hi Paul,

https://www.arcanoae.com/uniaud-audio-driver-package-updated-20210320/

Since AN has done an official release, does that mean we are at a somewhat "settled/stable" code base?

I ask b/c if you recall I kept on running into boot hang issues. Those went away with the uniaud32-linux-5.10.11-20210131.zip release, however something else appeared.

I figured I would continue to test to see if maybe I was seeing some side-effect specific to another application, a weird conflict, etc. Well, it turns out the same behaviour has been present with the other remaining releases as well, that being:

1) uniaud32-linux-5.10.17-20210227.zip
2) uniaud32-linux-5.10.20-20210305.zip

The same symptom is present in the AN release, but they officially won't work the issue unless you are running AOS as well, so that's a dead end.

Anyways, the problem I am runing into is a complete hard-lock of the system when playing back MP4 videos with mplyer. Haven't narrowed it down any further, it may be a conflict specifically with mplayer, or it may be just the audio driver that's hit during such playback. Each time it requires a power OFF/ON fix, so I'm reluctant to continue to troubleshoot in the dark.

Having said that, on my hardware platform the last good working driver is uniaud32-linux-3.16.85-20200812.zip, so I will continue to use that as it does not appear to have any functionality shortcomings.

As always, appreciate all the work you've done for us here. If you are willing and want to continue to debug my problem I'm happy to do so, but otherwise if that affects only a small subset of hardware configs out there, we can probably pass.

Here is my hardware config:

Code: [Select]
Card info for adapter 0:
  num: 0
  id: SB
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA ATI SB
  longname: HDA ATI SB at 0xfe3f8000 irq 16
  mixer: Realtek ALC889
  componenets: HDA:10ec0889,14627640,00100004

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2021, 09:22:12 pm »
Hi David,
No idea - he must be doing something different - whatever it is, doesn't appear to be in the GPL code...

P.S. Your Karma is up to 50! Can you levitate?

hahahah not that I'm aware of :)

Cheers,

Paul