Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370785 times)

Remy

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #600 on: April 15, 2021, 11:16:07 pm »
Nothing to do with your drivers.
He spoke about AN drivers too. (these have a not resolve problem and supposed to be HW - not virtual machine)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 16, 2021, 01:14:32 am »
If you switch to using OS/2 in a virtual machine, you can get rid of that problem anyway: use USB 2.x. The performance gain of USB 3.x is non existent anyways (with the OS/2 drivers at least). And for simple devices as keyboards, mice and even video/audio devices, USB 2.x will do the job just fine.
Using a virtual machine will also get rid of the problem of NVM, new network HW bla bla bla.

I get about 5x the performance using USB3 compared to USB2 on my USB3 drive, 20MB/s with USB2 and 110MB/s using a USB3.1 card and transferring an ISO (over 1GB).
I find OS/2 slow in a virtual machine, perhaps as it can't take advantage of all the cores and using Linux, while all hardware works fine, the experience is just lacking, even performance.
A while ago I tried compiling Firefox on Linux with -j5 (5 jobs, recommended on a 4 core machine), and an apt upgrade after making sure nothing that the compile was using was getting updated and then tried to watch a YouTube video in Firefox. The system came to a halt basically, with the mouse even barely moving and it took quite a while to get ALT-CTRL-F1 to switch to a terminal so I could kill stuff. Guess I've just been spoiled by OS/2 when it comes to using the desktop.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 16, 2021, 07:39:37 am »
Why would he if it works with my drivers ?
Seriously, it is not the HW, it is the USB drivers failing and there are many error conditions.
It surely can be fixed and I spent months chasing these problems, they mostly are due to USB devices not behaving the way you would expect.

It is completely absurd that people are complaining about Windows reliability but accept about any odd workaround for OS/2.

If you switch to using OS/2 in a virtual machine, you can get rid of that problem anyway: use USB 2.x. The performance gain of USB 3.x is non existent anyways (with the OS/2 drivers at least). And for simple devices as keyboards, mice and even video/audio devices, USB 2.x will do the job just fine.
Using a virtual machine will also get rid of the problem of NVM, new network HW bla bla bla.

Hi Lars,
Yes, I totally agree about the use of your drivers. No need for workarounds like unplugging and re-plugging of devices. Your drivers just work. Great job - Thanks.

I am using OS/ 2 since version 2.1 always on bare metal. And I would like to stay this way as long as possible. By selecting the right hardware I have been able to get it running every time. If the hardware was at latest levels it took me some tweaking in the beginning but it worked out smoothly over time.

Greetings form Potsdam / Germany,
mike

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 16, 2021, 12:29:57 pm »

I get about 5x the performance using USB3 compared to USB2 on my USB3 drive, 20MB/s with USB2 and 110MB/s using a USB3.1 card and transferring an ISO (over 1GB).
I find OS/2 slow in a virtual machine, perhaps as it can't take advantage of all the cores and using Linux, while all hardware works fine, the experience is just lacking, even performance.
A while ago I tried compiling Firefox on Linux with -j5 (5 jobs, recommended on a 4 core machine), and an apt upgrade after making sure nothing that the compile was using was getting updated and then tried to watch a YouTube video in Firefox. The system came to a halt basically, with the mouse even barely moving and it took quite a while to get ALT-CTRL-F1 to switch to a terminal so I could kill stuff. Guess I've just been spoiled by OS/2 when it comes to using the desktop.

How often do you need to use USB in a virtual machine ? If you need to copy large amounts of data, then at least for me, shared folders are the option. Plus you can even set up a network between host and guest (I have not tried that).

But agreed, Virtualbox has 2 problems:
1) it only supports one core if you run OS/2 as a guest. Everything else just hangs the guest sooner or later.
2) it does not properly support USB isochronous transfers. That becomes immediately apparent if you try to play a sound file in an OS/2 guest (using a USB audio device). It will exhibit heavy dropouts. If you do the same on a native/"bare metal" installation, it works just fine. I have reported this as a bug in the Virtualbox bug tracker but I think they couldn't care less.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:36:44 pm by Lars »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 16, 2021, 12:40:06 pm »
He spoke about AN drivers too. (these have a not resolve problem and supposed to be HW - not virtual machine)

Again, this problem is not about HW. If it were, my USB drivers would also not work. There is a problem with one or more AN USB drivers. It's either about a stalled pipe not being cleared correctly or with data toggle not being set correctly (at least these cover around 90% of what can go wrong). And of course, in this case, the problem will show on real HW as well as in Virtualbox.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 16, 2021, 05:13:39 pm »

Again, this problem is not about HW. If it were, my USB drivers would also not work. There is a problem with one or more AN USB drivers. It's either about a stalled pipe not being cleared correctly or with data toggle not being set correctly (at least these cover around 90% of what can go wrong). And of course, in this case, the problem will show on real HW as well as in Virtualbox.

Hi Lars,

I agree with you...

Regards
Rémy

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 18, 2021, 12:45:32 am »
Hi Paul,

as I was able to install ArcaOS on Bare metal named Lenovo T480 I am really happy to report, that your driver 20210414 works perfect with this hardware!

Thanks a lot, very well done!!

I attach the files I was able to get.

If you need more information on this hardware, please let me know!

EDIT: one regression here, as mentioned earlier in this thread: Playing PM123 and having system Sounds enabled does not work correct. When the first time system sound appears while PM123 is playing, there is no Volumecontrol with PM123 anymore.

All the best!

Sigurd

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:14:18 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 27, 2021, 11:38:27 am »
https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.10.40-20210527.zip - code updated to linux 5.10.40 level...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #608 on: May 27, 2021, 02:38:47 pm »
https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.10.40-20210527.zip - code updated to linux 5.10.40 level...

Hi
I tested it with ArcaOS 5.0.6 VM guest on VBox 6.1.14 (Windows 10 host).
- VM Intel HD Audio: Works, Audio control working, no traps.
- VM ICH AC97: Works, Audio control working, no traps.

After that test I updated VirtualBox to 6.1.22 (same Windows 10 host)
- VM Intel HD Audio: Produce audio, but gives looping sound at end. Audio control working, no traps.
- VM ICH AC97: Works, Audio control working, no traps.

I did these because on the past I noticed a strange Audio problems (Looping sounds) when I updated VBox from 6.1.14 and I want to confirm these with your UniAud release. I don't know what the VirtualBox team did with the "Intel HD Audio" in these newer releases. It is not a problem of these Uniaud release, or Uniaud, something was changed on Virtualbox (Ticket 20273).

Thanks Paul for this update.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:52:31 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 27, 2021, 09:52:29 pm »
 Thanks Paul... works just fine here on my Intel HD audio desktop system....

Regards,

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 27, 2021, 11:06:34 pm »

Thanks for the new file, it's 90% ok and getting better.

I wanted to ask you if you can tell me what programs or dlls can be used when I press an active screen change with the mouse.
 For more clarification if I am viewing this web page, and with the mouse clicking on a command prompt or any other open window,
  which programs can make that change.
   I have observed that the sound glitches improve when switching screens.

saludos

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2021, 01:01:31 am »
About switching desktop windows:

There's no program to switch the desktop windows of XPager. You can do this only manually. If you open its context menu and click on Properties, the Screen object opens with the XPager panel. You can there activate hotkeys to do that.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2021, 02:07:18 pm »
Not working on my Gigabyte MB with a Sound Blaster Recon chip. My old laptop is gone.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #613 on: June 06, 2021, 06:10:04 pm »

Hi Paul

Today I also tested it on the Thinkpad L420.
- Works. No trap. Master volume working. Works good here.
Thanks
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 07, 2021, 04:52:55 am »
Hi Eugene,

Not working on my Gigabyte MB with a Sound Blaster Recon chip. My old laptop is gone.

Did older builds work? If the did, I'd like to see a log - but I do know there is at least one chipset used by Creative/Sound Blaster that is not currently enabled in the Uniaud code (as it won't compile).

Can you post the PCI IDs here?

Cheers,

Paul.