Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 366096 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #720 on: August 07, 2022, 05:14:59 am »
Hey Paul,

I went straight for the 20220807b version and it seems to work fine - system sounds, Youtube, PM123, double click an MP3 in the WPS all work great - thanks again! And I agree with Dariusz - the sound seems to be enhanced somehow...

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 07, 2022, 08:09:01 am »
Hey Dave,
  I went straight for the 20220807b version and it seems to work fine - system sounds, Youtube, PM123, double click an MP3 in the WPS all work great - thanks again! And I agree with Dariusz - the sound seems to be enhanced somehow...

Great to hear! Interesting that the sound 'sounds' better - although I guess that's the point of keeping the code up to date (as far as practicable) with linux :)

Cheers,

Paul

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 07, 2022, 02:41:58 pm »
Hi Paul,

the same here with the b version on my Thinkpad X250:

Perfect Systemsound
Perfect PM123 Version 1.43
Perfect VLC Version 3.0.16 (Audio Setting: K Audio Interface; DART)
Perfect WINOS2 with the Universal WINOS2 Audio Driver

Thank you very much, superb!

And yes, for me it does sound better than with previous versions!

Thank You!!

Sigurd

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 07, 2022, 03:58:46 pm »
Paul thank you everything except VLC works here too, which may be a problem with VLC

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 07, 2022, 05:21:16 pm »
Paul, everyone...

Paul thank you everything except VLC works here too, which may be a problem with VLC

The 'b' version boots up fine, regular sounds plays fine, but I did run into a HARD trap during mplayer playback. Specifically, take a look please at the attached mplayer log, looks like some kind of an error in the 'uninit_ao' module, and since I'm using AO: kai:dart config here (as opposed to uniaudio - which plays no sound at all) I'm not quite sure if this points to an actual uniaud driver problem or not.

I re-tested by going back to the earlier 5.15 drop, that works fine, or at least I was NOT able to reproduce the same TRAP with the same video file.

Thanks!
-Dariusz

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #725 on: August 07, 2022, 06:44:11 pm »
https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.15.59-20220807b.zip hacks around the issues causing traps with non-HDA hardware (tested with AC97 on Virtualbox).
Hi Paul

I also went straight for the 20220807b and got a trap on VirtualBox.
I tested it with ArcaOS 5.0.7 VM guest on VBox 6.1.36 (Windows 10 host).
- VM ICH AC97: traps
- VM Intel HD Audio: Works, Audio control working, no traps.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:47:28 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 08, 2022, 12:07:40 am »
Hey Martin,

https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.15.59-20220807b.zip hacks around the issues causing traps with non-HDA hardware (tested with AC97 on Virtualbox).
I also went straight for the 20220807b and got a trap on VirtualBox.
I tested it with ArcaOS 5.0.7 VM guest on VBox 6.1.36 (Windows 10 host).
- VM ICH AC97: traps
- VM Intel HD Audio: Works, Audio control working, no traps.

I'm pretty interested in the trap on Virtualbox - as I specifically tested AC97 here on Virtualbox (but under Ubuntu). Was this with the debug or release driver? I only tested the debug driver. Are you able to get a serial port log?

Enable serial port in Virtualbox, and there's an option to save the serial port output to a text file.
Make com.sys (or pscom.sys) is loaded
add /p:1 to the uniaud32 driver line in config.sys
reboot

Cheers,

Paul.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #727 on: August 08, 2022, 12:54:49 am »
Hi Paul

I'm using the "release" version.
- Enabled Serial port and take the output as a RAW file.
- Enabled COM.SYS
- Added /p:1 on Uniaud.
- Rebooted and changed to "ICH AC97" to reproduce the trap.

This is what it showed on the RAW text file.

Uniaud32 version 3.01.01
Based on linux 5.15.59
pci_register_driver: query_device found 28 8086:2415 class=40100 checking intel8x0
pci_register_driver: matched 0 8086:2415/40100 with 8086:2415/0 0 (intel8x0)

It is something else I need to do?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 08, 2022, 04:56:13 am »
Hey Martin,

Hi Paul

- Enabled COM.SYS

Uniaud32 version 3.01.01
Based on linux 5.15.59
pci_register_driver: query_device found 28 8086:2415 class=40100 checking intel8x0

Thanks - I'll see if I can reproduce with the release version tonight, and try and debug it.

Looks like it's trapping in a similar spot to the initial 5.15.59 build - during the initialisation of the hardware.

Cheers,

Paul.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 08, 2022, 09:03:02 am »

Enable serial port in Virtualbox, and there's an option to save the serial port output to a text file.
reboot

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul, the uniaud drivers installation is a task I left undone last year (Warp 4.52 on Virtualbox) since I could not obtain sound from video streaming on browser (ie. youtube), which is still my actual issue in soundblaster mode as well. Following these latest posts I feel I could try again now. Where can I find an installation steps how-to, like config.sys editing?
Thank you

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 08, 2022, 11:03:40 am »
Hey Martin,

Hey Martin,

Hi Paul

- Enabled COM.SYS

Uniaud32 version 3.01.01
Based on linux 5.15.59

Thanks - I'll see if I can reproduce with the release version tonight, and try and debug it.

Looks like it's trapping in a similar spot to the initial 5.15.59 build - during the initialisation of the hardware.

I can reproduce the trap with a release build of uniaud32.sys on ac97 hardware. Investigating now.

Edit: really weird why it's trapping where it is with release vs debug....

Cheers,

Paul
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 11:59:35 am by Paul Smedley »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #731 on: August 08, 2022, 04:10:04 pm »

reboot

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul, the uniaud drivers installation is a task I left undone last year (Warp 4.52 on Virtualbox) since I could not obtain sound from video streaming on browser (ie. youtube), which is still my actual issue in soundblaster mode as well. Following these latest posts I feel I could try again now. Where can I find an installation steps how-to, like config.sys editing?
Thank you

Hi Mauro.

I would do it this way.
- Install the full Uniaud using the latest full installer. (ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/Uniaud-20211023.exe)
- Check everything is fine on the VM
- Later install the latest devbuild that Paul's offers here.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 08, 2022, 09:16:39 pm »
Hey Martin,

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul!

Hope your having a fine day!

I've been off-line for most of the last 4 weeks, as our summer up here is pretty short, and lots of work to do around our quarter acre, as with every summer. But saw you were updating the UniAud32 builds at the moment, and thought I would chime in with my test results as well.

I wasn't one of your original "Merry Men" that have helped out so extensively with the testing, but I did post a full report of my findings on two of my systems back on March 1 when your development build 5.14.7 and the HDMI version of same was last released, and you took a well deserved hiatus (as a result I won't repeat all that, as you can reference back to it in the forum here, with the detailed data and TestLog attachments).

At the time I found that I was able to get that build working perfectly on one of my systems (MANTICORE II) using that version of the driver with a ASUS M3N-HT Motherboard and the on-board ADI AD1988B BH 8 Channel High Definition audio chipset.

However, I was unable to get any sound on the other system (HYPERFIRE) which has an F1- A75V Motherboard equipped with an ALC892 8 channel HDA chipset, using the March releases of UniAud32. On that system, the chipset (Adapter 0) generates no sound but PMUnimix v0.8.2 reports all 9 normal volume sections - putting sound volumes to the max produces no sound. Sound is generated using the UniAud32 version that comes with the ArcaOS package. Tested both the release and debug versions at the time.

Moving on to your latest package (5.15.59b) I have the same results to report - MANTICORE II works well with the latest version, but  5.15.59b still does not generate any sound on HYPERFIRE, using the on-board chipset.

In the March tests I also used the /a:2 switch to address Soundblaster cards I also have installed on each system, which up to this point could only be used in Windows - In MANTICORE II, I have a Soundblaster Recon3D / Z-Series Sound Card, while HYPERFIRE has a Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Series Sound Card.

I have not tried these cards yet with the new UniAud32 build, but previously HYPERFIRE and the Soundblaster X-Fi reported 6 volume sections under PMUnimix but no sound. MANTICORE II  and the Soundblaster Recon3D reported under PMUnimix the Master Playtback Volume with sound present after a cold reboot, but it did not control the sound. Sound was only present from the front speakers of a speaker set consisting of two front, two rear and one bass speaker. I needed to turn down the hardware speaker volume, as no software sound control seemed to be present.

I have not tested the Soundblasters with 5.15.59b as of yet - will possibly try that later today.

Let me know if you want any further information, Paul, related to the items above, if it would be of any help in development, and thanks for the yeoman's work you've put into advancing development of UniAud32.

As always and Best, Sir!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 08, 2022, 09:59:23 pm »
Hi Mauro!

Thank you

Back in March, after going through 46 pages of posts, I put together a Testing Guide for my own use, as a quick reference source.

I spruced it up a bit today and have attached it below - hope you will find it of some use.

If anyone has any comments related to the guide, let me know and I will update it.

Best!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 09, 2022, 12:37:05 am »
Hye Mark,

However, I was unable to get any sound on the other system (HYPERFIRE) which has an F1- A75V Motherboard equipped with an ALC892 8 channel HDA chipset, using the March releases of UniAud32. On that system, the chipset (Adapter 0) generates no sound but PMUnimix v0.8.2 reports all 9 normal volume sections - putting sound volumes to the max produces no sound. Sound is generated using the UniAud32 version that comes with the ArcaOS package. Tested both the release and debug versions at the time.

Are you able to generate a testlog for this system using http://88watts.net/dlfile.php?F=testlog- ? It's quite possible there is a specific 'fix' for this hardware that is currently in code that is commented out (long story, the short version is that openwatcom is old).

Best if you can open a ticket for the hardware at https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud to save me having to trawl through the forum to find logs.

Cheers,

Paul.