Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370836 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #810 on: September 12, 2022, 04:51:12 pm »
Heh Paul!

Hey all,
Sorry about that, of course it didn't trap here in Virtualbox - unfortunately I didn't test it on bare metal. Are your systems AMD or Intel?

Well clearly I was either very tired or had drunk too much red wine yesterday. I'm embarassed to say that when I fired up the laptop after work today, my ArcaOS test partition was sat there with a Trap screen on it - so turns out I should have known it was going to fail for others :(

Sorry for the hassles, and I'll have another look at the code.

Cheers,

Paul

What fun would it be if everything just worked, Sir? - no problem with the occasional BSOD here.

As to wines, we are quite partial to Savignon Blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand and of course many of the Australian Shiraz's. Oyster Bay and Starborough Sav Blancs, and Yellowtail and Rosemont Shirazs are frequent guests in our home.

Don't know what good stuff you save from export there, but what we get here from you guys and gals is pretty good, and reasonably priced.

M

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 12, 2022, 07:15:12 pm »
Heh Andy

On some systems, in the past, we've seen that the sound is actually working but is extremely quiet.
Two changes I would recommend to the mmpm.ini until you get sound, to make sure it is just not really really low:

mastervolume=77   to   mastervolume=100
and
PARMSTRING=BALANCE=50,VOL=80,INPUT=LINE,GAIN=70,OUTPUT=SPEAKER
to
PARMSTRING=BALANCE=50,VOL=100,INPUT=LINE,GAIN=70,OUTPUT=SPEAKER

I didn't see anything about editing mmpm.ini in the past, but will try it and report back.

Thanks for the tip and Best!

M

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 12, 2022, 07:46:46 pm »
Mark, Yes I have had the unaud32 driver working with my system. Even with the betas before the last officail release.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 12, 2022, 08:29:28 pm »
Heh Eugene!

Mark, Yes I have had the unaud32 driver working with my system. Even with the betas before the last officail release.

Interesting.

In addition to the creative Recon3D, I also have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series on one of the metal systems - works on Windows but that one shows only a Master Volume Sound Section under the latest UniAud32 releases.

So many chipsets so little time but Thanks, Sir and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 12, 2022, 08:45:35 pm »
Hi Andy!

On some systems, in the past, we've seen that the sound is actually working but is extremely quiet.
Two changes I would recommend to the mmpm.ini until you get sound, to make sure it is just not really really low:

and
to

Using an INI editor, I was having a look at the MMPM.INI file in question and couldn't see the lines you mentioned (picture attached below)

Haven't done much hex editing in the past, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding the editing process - there seems to be only five lines present.

Best!

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 12, 2022, 09:43:30 pm »
Using an INI editor, I was having a look at the MMPM.INI file in question and couldn't see the lines you mentioned (picture attached below)

Shouldn't that be MMPM2.INI, which is plain text.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 02:58:35 am by Dave Yeo »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 13, 2022, 01:39:45 am »
Heh Dave!

[/quote>

Shouldn't that be MMPM2.INI, which is plain text.

Your right and Thanks!

Busy afternoon and limited time to have a look at the INI's - MMPM2.INI was on the next row down and didn't notice it - other than copying and testing Pauls drivers I don't spend much time in the MMOS2 directory.

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 13, 2022, 01:47:14 am »
Heh Andy!

and
to

After Dave turned me around and I found text based MMPM2.INI (hiding on the next line of the directory), I made the mods you suggested - no difference, with all sound volumes set at max.

PMUnimix reports max volumes as 64, with the current drivers for most sections - the mic sections and line playback volume at 31.

M

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 13, 2022, 04:40:01 am »
Heh Andy!

and
to

After Dave turned me around and I found text based MMPM2.INI (hiding on the next line of the directory), I made the mods you suggested - no difference, with all sound volumes set at max.

PMUnimix reports max volumes as 64, with the current drivers for most sections - the mic sections and line playback volume at 31.

M
Sorry about the wrong filename, hopefully it will help later.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 13, 2022, 04:59:18 am »
In addition to the creative Recon3D, I also have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series on one of the metal systems - works on Windows but that one shows only a Master Volume Sound Section under the latest UniAud32 releases.

Testlogs from these non-working cards would be interesting.

Cheers,

Paul.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 13, 2022, 07:38:45 pm »
Heh Paul!

Testlogs from these non-working cards would be interesting.

Cheers,

Paul.

I've attached testlogs for both Hyperfire and Manticore II below.

Both were generated this morning my time using the Debug version of UniAud32 20220910b. In Config.sys the switch UniAud32 /a:2 was used to switch to the appropriate Sound Blaster card in each system, as described below.

For Manticore II, which contains the Sound Blaster Recon3D, I had an interesting experience.

Suddenly I was getting wonderful clear sound where none was present before. Looking at PMUniAud, only the Master Sound Volume section was present, maximum volume 99, and both system sounds and PM123 would play with no problems whatsoever.

The sound system the Recon3D is connected to is surround sound, but only the front speakers would generate sound, (as a note, the AD1988B chipset on that system is not connected to this surround speaker system - it is connected to sound through the monitor, which has a Bang & Olafsen sound system built in - has always worked fine with your modified drivers as reported)

And then, rebooting, no sound would be generated through the Recon3D ......... ?!?!?!?!

I traced the problem to the form of rebooting ........... if a warm reboot back to the partition I am testing, or to my other boot partition on Manticore II occurs, no sound is generated when I go back to the test partition. However, if I do a cold reboot to the test partition, sound is again generated (I tested it a number of times and it is reproducible).

And as for Hyperfire ..........

Booting to the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium using the /a:2 switch, no sound is generated at all - in PMUnimix it shows 6 sound sections jumbled together (I've attached a picture below of what sound sections are present). Andy's sound modifications are still present, as an aside.

The Hyperfire Sound Blaster is also connected to a separate surround sound system than the ALC892 chipset (that is connected to the same sound system in the monitor - I use an audio switch box to switch between the two, depending on which base metal system I am using at the time).

Have fun puzzling over the new testlogs - I'm sure a lot of red wine will be involved <grin>

Best Sir as always!

M
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:44:36 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 14, 2022, 01:35:33 am »
Hey Mark,

Interesting... I have a T60 here that is similar in the sense that after a cold boot, sound works fine - but warm boots have no audio.

I don't see a log for Hyperfire with the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium?

...and yes, red wine will likely be involved in fixing issues :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 14, 2022, 05:14:44 am »
Hey Paul!

Hey Mark,

Interesting... I have a T60 here that is similar in the sense that after a cold boot, sound works fine - but warm boots have no audio.

I don't see a log for Hyperfire with the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium?

...and yes, red wine will likely be involved in fixing issues :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Interesting as I did attach it - Lets try this again (See below)

Just got in from our deck, at 21:00 on a beautiful 15 C pitch black fall night - watching all our solar lights lighting up - and Shiraz was involved there prior to retiring for the evening ............

M
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 05:20:34 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 14, 2022, 11:04:02 am »
Interesting.... there's nothing obvious in that log as to why it's not working :(

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 14, 2022, 07:28:04 pm »
Heh Paul!

Interesting.... there's nothing obvious in that log as to why it's not working :(

Had a look at the Hyperfire log myself today - the only thing that jumped out at me was near the end of the log:

HDA audio detected - doesn't support 5512 - 32000 Hz audio sample rates

Again, not knowing what is normal that could mean something or nothing at all Paul, but thought I'd point it out - that line appears a number of times at the end of the log.

M