Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370663 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #870 on: September 22, 2022, 12:20:38 am »
Thanks Mark - you can keep your frost and -2C - we're heading for a a partly cloud 18C here today :)

Thanks for that testing - I'll take a look at the differences between HYPERFIRE-20220921-uniaud-3.9.11-SCa-ALC892.log and HYPERFIRE-20220921-uniaud-3.9.11-SCb-ALC892.log this afternoon, in the hope it will shed some light. I too, hope that this will unlock the reason that some machines don't product sound. Who knows, it might even explain why HDMI doesn't product sound, even though it all 'looks' to be working from log files.

I almost wish I had a system here that didn't work.

Cheers,

Paul

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 22, 2022, 04:11:07 am »

I almost wish I had a system here that didn't work.

Cheers,

Paul

Thats because you probably have too orderly a mind, Paul (short of the bouts of idea inspiring red wine  ;D). To have your systems not working perfectly would just not be on ..........

Philosophically, I like to think there are only two type of thinkers in the world - linear and lateral thinkers.

Linear thinkers try to troubleshoot on the basis of moving from a to b to c, in logical progression. Emergency experience has taught me to think laterally - some times things are solved by taking seemly unconnected things, from different places, and trying to put them together until they, intuitively, just seem like the proper decision and/or way to proceed.

Being a hardware geek, I use Virtual Box on a number of systems but have built over 10 systems from the bare metal box up - my office is strewn with new and legacy systems that didn't work originally but do now, through a lot of head scratching, in addition to numerous portables ........ and in various exotic configurations with several operating systems.

My network is like a Hydra ........... and expanding constantly ........... and I even have run a business on it, for 28 years ...........

As to HDMI If I can help there let me know .......... both of the test system partitions are attached to graphics cards which also report HDMI sound capabilities, in PMUnimix (whether they are indeed there I don't know) - I have one connected to the Bang and Olufson guts of the monitor, but can't get it to work at the moment, under ArcaOS, with your drivers ......... the other could also be connected .........

Jury_Rig re'Us you might say, over here .......... but one impossibility at a time, as my emergency experience always brings me back down to earth, to refocus on the problems at hand.

M
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:19:49 am by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 22, 2022, 08:30:12 am »
Hey Mark - slight change of tack - I patched the linux 3.9 code based on the 3.8.13 code - there's a build at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.9-20220922.zip

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 22, 2022, 11:28:46 am »
Anyone other than Mark seeing no audio with the 5.x builds (5.15.x or 5.19.x) after a warm boot? I have an old T60 that does this, but it would be interesting to see if there are any common themes in hardware that does this.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 22, 2022, 03:37:56 pm »
Heh Paul!

Hey Mark - slight change of tack - I patched the linux 3.9 code based on the 3.8.13 code - there's a build at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.9-20220922.zip

Latest patch from legacy 3.8.13 to 3.9 generated no sound - tried both warm and cold boot.

Testlog generated and attached below.

A fine day to you and Best!

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 22, 2022, 03:51:26 pm »
Anyone other than Mark seeing no audio with the 5.x builds (5.15.x or 5.19.x) after a warm boot? I have an old T60 that does this, but it would be interesting to see if there are any common themes in hardware that does this.

Just a little further to Paul's post, the condition I am seeing is sound is working perfectly when doing a cold boot or reboot. However, after a warm reboot the sound disappears. To get it back I have to perform a cold boot again.

Discovered this rather strange little anomaly only when testing my Sound Blaster Recon3D Z series sound card last week, so if anyone has similar they might want to test. But it would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced the same with other sound cards or chipsets that have been found to work, then seem not to.

It is reproducible on Pauls latest recent build 5.19.9 here, but I suspect I would see it if I back leveled as well.

M

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 23, 2022, 03:14:59 am »
Hey Mark,

Heh Paul!

Latest patch from legacy 3.8.13 to 3.9 generated no sound - tried both warm and cold boot.

Testlog generated and attached below.

A fine day to you and Best!

Whilst I'm not suprised by this result, the amount of code restructuring that took place makes it hard to nail things down. Does this machine have multiple output jacks? Including front panel? Can you try plugging speakers into different jacks to see if it's a jack configuration issue?

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 23, 2022, 11:02:53 pm »

Whilst I'm not surprised by this result, the amount of code restructuring that took place makes it hard to nail things down. Does this machine have multiple output jacks? Including front panel? Can you try plugging speakers into different jacks to see if it's a jack configuration issue?

HYPERFIRE is one of my custom built machines, built from the ground up, so I know it rather intimately.

It contains an ASUS F1A75-V Pro Motherboard, with an AMD quad core CPU (forget the specific model). The ALC892 chipset is built-in on the motherboard.

I have liked using ASUS motherboards for years, because of their excellent, well laid out User manuals, both graphically and verbally (something highly appreciated by method engineering professionals like myself  8) ). Its very difficult to go wrong following an ASUS manual, for assembly or other purposes.

As to audio connectors the motherboard has a standard set of High Definition Audio connectors (coloured orange, black, grey, light blue, lime and pink) on the back of the motherboard only, and was connected to the Bang and Olufsen stereo system on the monitor with a single cable plugged into the standard green connector. Therefore it was relatively easy to swap the single cable for the 5:1 surround sound cables (orange, black and lime), attaching them to the appropriate connectors on the motherboard.

Using the modified 3.9.11 0220 driver, I was able to generate surround sound, something I was not able to do with the legacy ArcaOS 5.0.6 driver based on the legacy ALSA code - I tested your latest 0922 driver, Paul, and was still not able to generate any sound.

So I don't really think, Sir that connection to the wrong connectors is the problem, but it pays to be thorough, so I've now confirmed that.

As you know I consider myself a lateral thinker, so I thought I'd spend some time coming at this from a different angle - namely, have we ever asked the questions as to whether the Linux community had problems with this chipset before?

Well, they did .......... and 54 others as well.

I spent some time on search engines, which sent me to various Debian and Fedora and other Linux sites. I can send you the links if you wish, Paul, but I attached a couple of text files down below, that you and others might be interested in.

I will say that trolling quietly (fishing wise) through a linux forum reminded me of Physics lectures of 40 years ago - a lot of esoteric information, technical references, some arguments, and a lot of debate (and I'm not in anyway dissing any of you who are part of said community - its just that, looking in, the Linux forums are an experience unto thyself  ;D )

One item that struck me, referenced four times was mention of "auto-mute" - is there any reference to that in any of the PCI/HDA source code?

It seemed that switching "auto-mute" off (the default seemed to be "on") seemed to solve the no sound problems for various people - the problem is, the forum contributors really didn't say where?

There were references to "AlsaMix", "PulseSound" and "Audacity" of which I've only heard of the last, but I assume they are mixer programs similar to PMUnimix. But not sure if the discussions were recommending adjusting "auto-mute" through there or not.

But it also gave me the possible mad hypothesis that, because this was such a problem, perhaps it was solved in a later release of the Linux kernels v3 or above, so downloaded and tried your 3.14.9 and 4.0.9 builds and installed them - sadly no change and no sound.

Its difficult for me to tell how long ago in the Linux development all that occurred, Paul, so perhaps I caught a red herring <sic>, but you may have a better idea as to where you might scrounge up some linux based changelogs to see whether and when linux developers might have done something, which may not be included in a source file your using.

I can't believe that it would still bee a problem they have not addressed in their kernel for possibly 55 sound chipsets. As an aside, it also might be worthwhile, if their is anyone who has not gotten their sound to work with your drivers to try the latest V3 kernel derived driver that worked for me - that would be contained Uniaud32-3.9.11-20220920.zip - the list of chipsets that had problems is part of what is in the first text file below.

Anyway just another of my mad musings on the subject of lateral thinking Sir and a fine weekend to you!

M
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:08:05 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 24, 2022, 12:20:52 am »
Hey Mark,

Sorry - didn't mean to imply you were hooking things up wrong, some of my searches suggested that there could be configuration issues within the driver relating to the jack config. Interesting to see that you could get surround sound working...

re: auto-mute - you triggered a memory about https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/ticket/248

If this was a 'thing' you should have a mixer control similar to:
Code: [Select]
Control ID: 18
Interface: virtual mixer device
Device(client): 0, subdevice (substream) 0
Name: [Auto-Mute Mode]
Index: 0
Element type: enumerated type
Count of values: 1
Value:
 Bounds: items: 2, item: 0, name: [Disabled]
  value 0: 1

Looking at HYPERFIRE-20220921-uniaud-3.9.11-SCb-ALC892.log, it seems you do.
Code: [Select]
Control ID: 19
Interface: virtual mixer device
Device(client): 0, subdevice (substream) 0
Name: [Auto-Mute Mode]
Index: 0
Element type: enumerated type
Count of values: 1
Value:
 Bounds: items: 2, item: 0, name: [Disabled]
  value 0: 1

It would be interesting to see what setting this mixer control to 0 does.

HYPERFIRE-20220921-uniaud-3.9.11-SCa-ALC892.log also has the same value for auto-mute - but sound works <shrug>

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 24, 2022, 01:09:37 am »
I just stumbled across https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=2436.75;msg=26471 - specifically the message from Andy...

Seems I missed this message and didn't back out the code he suggested.

On a whim... please try https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.9-20220924.zip and see if it changes anything....

Meanwhile, I'm also interested in the results of setting auto-mute to 0.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 03:05:40 am by Paul Smedley »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 24, 2022, 02:44:41 am »
Hey Paul!

Hey Mark,

Sorry - didn't mean to imply you were hooking things up wrong, some of my searches suggested that there could be configuration issues within the driver relating to the jack config. Interesting to see that you could get surround sound working...

I've been gone over by experts (read: premiers, presidents and prime ministers), so I may be the one person you've ever met that apologies are not necessary - I think literally - if you have a brainstorm, fire away ......... because out of strange ideas, great things may come .......

This is not a shaming match, Sir, at least from what I've seen in the past - I look at everything you say as literal and worthy of consideration - I wish the rest of the world would be as considerate.

Fire away anytime - out of that great things may come!

M
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 02:52:32 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 24, 2022, 03:04:47 am »
I just stumbled across https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=2436.75;msg=26471 - specifically the message from Andy...

On a whim... please try https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniad32-linux-3.9-20220924.zip and see if it changes anything....

Couldn't get to your link, Paul - says its not found (404)

M

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 24, 2022, 03:06:11 am »
Hey Mark,

On a whim... please try https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniad32-linux-3.9-20220924.zip and see if it changes anything....

Couldn't get to your link, Paul - says its not found (404)

I can't believe you didn't spot the deliberate typo? :) try https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.9-20220924.zip

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 24, 2022, 03:22:06 am »
Hey!

I can't believe you didn't spot the deliberate typo? :) try https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-3.9-20220924.zip

Too much good Savignon Blanc my friend, and too nice a lovely Beef Stew courtesy of too lovely a wife, on a Friday night - need I say more?

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 24, 2022, 04:42:09 am »
Hey Paul!

Unfortunately, executed a hard Trap 000e in UniAud32, in what was otherwise a very good week.

If any other bright ideas come to mind, something for the 24th in my neck of the woods - a fine day to you, Paul and Best!

M