Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 396683 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #900 on: September 26, 2022, 04:56:59 pm »
Heh Paul!

...for Hyperfire with the driver from 3.9.11.... something like:
unimix -id19 -val0=0

19 is the control number for auto-mute from 'unimix -list'

In case your wondering I haven't dropped off the face of the earth - got knocked off-line due to Hurricane (now Tropical Depression) Fiona, for three days.

And if people are wondering how Alberta, a solely landlocked province was so affected, I'm on Satellite Internet out here in the country and the ground station for my satellite service provider is roughly 5000 km away, in New Brunswick, in what we call "The Maritimes" on the Canadian East Coast.

It was a bad storm - power, telephone, cell and internet service were all affected severely or gone completely - in some cases whole houses (in one case with a person in it) were simply removed and ended up destroyed out in the ocean, off the shore of Newfoundland.  :(

But I do have some news.

First of all auto-mute in Unimix was id20, not id19 (at least on HYPERFIRE .... I used the command "unimix -names" from a prompt, to find the correct setting - it varies, as Manticore II reported it at id23)

But I can report that I disabled it and ......... SOUND WORKS with the ALC892 chipset!!!!!!

command prompt line for me to disable ......... unimix -id20 -val0=0

So the problem is indeed auto-mute being enabled for this chipset by default.

However still one little drawback to solve - I have to re-enable that every time I reboot warm or cold. Do you know of a way of setting unimix to automatically apply that fix upon reboot?

There is another benefit, as well - that was tested with your 5.19.9 20220924 driver debug version - I will switch it later, but I doubt the release version will give any problems. IOW no back pedaling involved  8)

@Edit 1 - the release version has now been tested and also works perfectly

So the puzzle of ALC892 is solved - and lovely clear sound at that, at least in PM123.

Something to add to the testing guide I prepared, if someone is having problems with any of the other 54 chipsets which seem to have or have had this problem.

Best as always!

M

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:24:21 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 26, 2022, 05:20:32 pm »
Mark there have been times when we in West Virginia have suffered fro the effects of a hurricane. So we pray for you And all of Canada that was affected.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 26, 2022, 05:31:48 pm »
Heh Eugene!

Mark there have been times when we in West Virginia have suffered fro the effects of a hurricane. So we pray for you And all of Canada that was affected.

Thanks for your thoughts - Anne, my wife, has a sister and her husband, as well as their daughter and grandchildren in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, across from Halifax - haven't been able to get a hold of them yet - all power and telephone service still out in that area.

You would well know the drill related to Hurricanes, Sir - Fiona hit as a Cat4, then Cat3 over PEI and Newfoundland then moved inland as a Tropical Storm - that persisted for 2 days - still assessing the damage and making repairs.

Best!

M

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 26, 2022, 08:04:58 pm »

However still one little drawback to solve - I have to re-enable that every time I reboot warm or cold. Do you know of a way of setting unimix to automatically apply that fix upon reboot?

Just put that unimix command in the file startup.cmd , and it will be run every time you start your system.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 26, 2022, 08:56:50 pm »
The ...924.zip is GOOD
The ...918.zip is Bad
Are you able to be a little more descriptive on what GOOD and Bad mean?

The two versions work. But with 924, when jumping during the vision of a video on YouTube, they are faster and with less interference. If I visualize a video from beginning to end both work the same.
saludos

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 26, 2022, 09:24:25 pm »
Heh Paul!

Separate to the above post, I also updated the uniaud32-next branch to the 5.15.70 code - builds at https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.15.70-20220924.zip

Tried your latest branch port this morning on Manticore II:

The AD1988B chipset works perfectly

Switched to the SB Recon3D on the same system and have excellent sound as per the previous builds - however still only Master Playback Control section is present in PMUnimix, so can only get sound in stereo from the front speakers - however running unimix -names, it lists 45 ID sections - 18 of which are switches (there is no auto-mute function on that card).

I might try enabling some of those switches to see what happens, and whether PMUnimix would recognize them after being enabled.

And also - the Recon3D is still only activated and recognized from a cold boot.

Will try Hyperfire with the new 70 branch later today.

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 26, 2022, 09:27:13 pm »
Heh Tom!

Just put that unimix command in the file startup.cmd , and it will be run every time you start your system.

I was thinking about that after I posted, but haven't worked much with Startup.CMD in the past - will have a look at that tonight or tomorrow.

But thanks for the tip and Best!

Mark

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 27, 2022, 12:28:35 am »
Hey Mark,

First of all auto-mute in Unimix was id20, not id19 (at least on HYPERFIRE .... I used the command "unimix -names" from a prompt, to find the correct setting - it varies, as Manticore II reported it at id23)

But I can report that I disabled it and ......... SOUND WORKS with the ALC892 chipset!!!!!!

Very brief reply for now... re: 'Auto Mute' I'm going to see if I can automatically disable it within soundmixer.c - I just need to spend some quality time reading the code and understanding how it works..

Cheers,

Paul.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 27, 2022, 02:03:51 am »
Hey Paul!

Hey Mark,

Very brief reply for now... re: 'Auto Mute' I'm going to see if I can automatically disable it within soundmixer.c - I just need to spend some quality time reading the code and understanding how it works..

Cheers,

Paul.

Changing things slightly in this post, as it sounded a bit churlish last time, which was not my intention. Paul

Will be great if the next version works for everyone - I'm just happy that I finally have a solution  personally......... but will test of course if you find a solution within the driver code.

BTW - 5.15.70 works fine on HYPERFIRE with  ALC892 - as long as I re-enable Unimix auto-mute disabling, after a boot.

Off for my ride this evening - and a fine day to you Sir!

M
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:51:45 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 27, 2022, 11:49:01 am »
Hey Mark,

I took a look at soundmixer.c this evening - I don't see a way to easily set auto-mute to 0 by default. For now, the workaround will need to be using unimix in startup.cmd

I'll look to add something to the readme as well

Cheers,

Paul

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 27, 2022, 04:34:38 pm »
Good Morning, Paul!
(my time)

Hey Mark,

I took a look at soundmixer.c this evening - I don't see a way to easily set auto-mute to 0 by default. For now, the workaround will need to be using unimix in startup.cmd

I'll look to add something to the readme as well

Cheers,

Paul

I think that is best for the moment, Sir - your on a roll with stable builds, so no use screwing things up just to see if you can help me out. I plan to spend a few minutes either creating Startup.cmd or at least a command file for testing today.

It would be interesting if we can find anyone else who has any of the other 54 chipsets in their system that were mentioned in one of those text files I posted a few days ago, and had PMUnimix recognizing the card but not having any sound - I can't believe I was the only one with the problem (especially when it crept into the UniAud build posted with the ArcaOS v5.0.7 release) - perhaps they could test disabling auto-mute, if present, as well.

I'm also going to update the UniAud testing guide I created, as well, adding the Auto-Mute reference and solution in addition to a couple of other things, so should have v1.2 posted this week.Your more than welcome to include that with your test builds, if you think it is useful.

I started looking into the Soundblaster Recon3D to see what might be done there - as I mentioned it only has one sound section under PMUnimix (Master Playback volume), which as I mentioned works on cold reboot, but only in stereo.

I've attached the output from unimix -names for the Recon3D below if your interested - 45 id's with 18 switches present, but almost all their designators have rather non-standard names so I don't know if that is part of the problem (being a non-programmer, I don't know how those volume control lines are addressed in the code)

I'm going to play around with unimix today - I noted id19 is the "equalizer playback switch" - perhaps that is off by default and not seen by PMUnimix (don't know if Master Playback Volume needs the equalizer enabled).

I'm also going to go out fishing again on the linux forums to see if there is any mention of either a cold reboot problem or how to enable surround sound with this card. Perhaps I'll catch a Pickeral (a very good edible whitefish native to Canadian lakes, especially in the province of Manitoba, where I originally come from).  8)

M

« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 05:26:35 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 27, 2022, 05:47:09 pm »
Hey Paul!

Anyone other than Mark seeing no audio with the 5.x builds (5.15.x or 5.19.x) after a warm boot? I have an old T60 that does this, but it would be interesting to see if there are any common themes in hardware that does this.

It seems there is a Bugzilla report about this problem from 2020:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205863

Bug 205863
Summary: Sometimes no sound at cold boot using Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series

Reading the report, I think the person reporting it had the subject line backwards - it should read "Sometimes no sound in a warm boot using the Recon3D / Z-series" as he claimed that shutting down the system totally, and rebooting corrected the problem (which is what I define as a cold reboot).

So it may be specific to my sound card only - I don't know, Paul, as to where you would look to see what might have been done, to attempt correct the problem - it seems from reading what was tried, it was merely a troubleshooting report, diagnosing the problem, but providing no defined solution, but perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly.

@Edit 1 - One other curiosity I noted today - warm boot for the Recon3D does work - but only if you cold boot to another operating partition first, then I do a warm boot over to the partition I'm testing the Recon3D on.

M
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:58:47 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 27, 2022, 08:33:13 pm »
Heh Paul!

As a final test today (before getting back out into the yard), I did try to enable other sections in the unimix -list for the Recon3D using the command prompt, but was unsuccessful.

However it seems this too was a problem encountered before in Linux - so I did indeed reel in a Pickeral!

From ArchLinus.org ( https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236364: )

<snip>

If anyone's interested, my PKGBUILD: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/hJv … XHMHRFDFy/
Custom patch (rename it patch_ca0132.patch) : https://paste.pound-python.org/show/wH7 … 1SNR9z4ra/

Big thanks to Conmanx360 for tracking down the issue I had (I had a board with a different revision number).

Now... how does one get this patch into the Kernel?

<quote ends>

It seems it was incorporated into Linux kernel 4.18-rc1 (I've attached the change log below - can be accessed on-line at https://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1806.0/04044.html )

Commitments there were significant, after reviewing the change log, related to getting sound chipsets to work, so thought you might be interested

The important changes related to this Recon3D sound card, I think:

HD-audio:
- Finally better support for some CA0132 boards, allowing Windows firmware
- Blacklisting power save default some known boards reported on Fedora

It seems the Recon3D is a CA0132 board, and not addressing the  Windows based firmware through Linux was the problem.

I included the second line because I don't know if the problem related to "power save" may be the problem related to warm boot.

I also have attached a second text file attached below which contains the CA0132 board patch, which is also available at:

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/wH7XZd6Nldo1SNR9z4ra/

But enough trolling and chumming, fish wise, for the day - off to restructuring our rose beds and Best!

M
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:59:24 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 28, 2022, 01:59:41 am »
We don't currently support firmware loading... so if this chip needs firmware - it won't work. Warm boot from windows/linux works as the firmware is already loaded....

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 28, 2022, 05:03:56 am »
Heh Paul!

We don't currently support firmware loading... so if this chip needs firmware - it won't work. Warm boot from windows/linux works as the firmware is already loaded....

So at least we can check this one off as nothing more that can be done, reasonably - but at least we know why  :)

Off to bed and a fine day to you!

M