Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 370679 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #915 on: September 28, 2022, 07:13:39 pm »
Heh Paul!

We don't currently support firmware loading... so if this chip needs firmware - it won't work. Warm boot from windows/linux works as the firmware is already loaded....

Just one further comment - I have two ArcaOS partitions - one which is my working partition (D:), the other is my ArcaOS test partition (F:) - the warm boot also has worked when switching from D: to F:, so I'm not sure if that explains the firmware already being loaded.

If Master Playback volume is present would that be addressed in the firmware as well, or is some other process involved (like generic HDA Audio?)

Don't know if that question makes any sense but trying to understand why the Recon3D "partially" works ie. can play stereo perfectly.

BTW, ran across this site:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=341022

It had someone there who is a moderator (alias Mr. Een) who is quite experienced in sound problems and has a blog related to fixing same in Linux:

http://mreen.epizy.com/SoundFixTips.html?i=1

Related to HDMI he was mentioning that many of the HDMI problems relate to the OS not redirecting sound through the HDMI cable to the monitor, instead of through the other speaker systems which may be present.

He added a command line to the post to assist the person asking for help, which did solve his problem:

d set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_0e.0 output:hdmi-stereo

Doubt it would be of help to us, but at least an explanation as to what may be causing you grief with HDMI - most of his advice is related to settings in the Linux mixer programs, which is of no help with ArcaOS, as it seems the mixers in linux are much more feature rich.

But a good resource that might help explain things encountered in future, when audio problems are present.

Best!

M

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:16:58 am by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 29, 2022, 10:21:35 am »
Hi Mark,
We don't currently support firmware loading... so if this chip needs firmware - it won't work. Warm boot from windows/linux works as the firmware is already loaded....

Just one further comment - I have two ArcaOS partitions - one which is my working partition (D:), the other is my ArcaOS test partition (F:) - the warm boot also has worked when switching from D: to F:, so I'm not sure if that explains the firmware already being loaded.

If Master Playback volume is present would that be addressed in the firmware as well, or is some other process involved (like generic HDA Audio?)

I'm assuming that sound only works if linux or windows is booted first, then I'd expect it to keep working until a cold boot occurs.

ie Linux/Windows - then D: then F: would work. If this isn't what you're describing, please let me know.

No idea what causes the Master Playback to show - what driver versions are in play? ca0132 support was added relatively recently...

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 29, 2022, 05:24:23 pm »
Heh Paul!

Hi Mark,

I'm assuming that sound only works if linux or windows is booted first, then I'd expect it to keep working until a cold boot occurs.

ie Linux/Windows - then D: then F: would work. If this isn't what you're describing, please let me know.

Actually I have no Linux partitions, and the last time I booted my Windows partition (C:) was over six months ago on Manticore II.

D: is an ArcaOS partition running v5.0.7 - when I need Windows support on Manticore II I usually run VirtualBox on that partition. I use that partition exclusively for tasks like Internet search, messaging, playing games through ArcaOS (and DosBox running under ArcaOS), writing a lot of internal documents using Lotus Word Pro, Lotus Spreadsheets, etc. I also run VLC, SMPlayer, PM123, and various other multimedia software (including a rather neat legacy program call Warped Wave Editor (WaWE) and of course Tonigy). That partition is connected to the built-in AD1988B sound chipset as standard.

F: is a test partition running ArcaOS v5.0.7 and is dedicated solely to testing, although it has all the capabilities of the D: partition also installed - if I needed to (ie. something has screwed up with my working partition) I can switch to F: and run it successfully for days, until I can get the other partition working. Currently, I've left partition F: using the Recon3D through the 5:1 surround sound system, as I know AD1988B has no problems

Hyperfire is configured in exactly the same way, with two ArcaOS partitions, only it has the ALC892 sound chipset and the Sound Blaster Xi-Fi Titanium card. It also has a Windows partition (C:), which is rarely booted, and which I originally set up only to play games.

Just the emergency planner in me, Paul - I hate situations occurring where they can be planned for, but were not, and something serious occurred - my office is filled with battery back-ups, multiple surge protectors, etc., as well as a NetGear Server, for archive and back-up purposes.

So as to warm boot and it working on F: after cold booting to D: and then rebooting to F:,  - the reason I mentioned it is that I can't see it enabling the firmware, the way the system is configured, as no Linux or Windows partition is involved at all.

The warm boot phenomenon is reproducible every time - so obviously something else is involved.

No idea what causes the Master Playback to show - what driver versions are in play? ca0132 support was added relatively recently...

As you know, I got into this sound testing late (only started in March) and at the time I wrote a long post which I had printed out and referred back to today - the first version I tested was 5.14.7-20211028. At the time, referring back, I wrote that Master Playback volume was reported under PMUnimix but was not controlling the sound, stereo sound was only present from the front speakers, and I had to turn down the sound using the surround sound hardware controls as sound was blasting out at max. It also would only work after a cold reboot.

The behavior with this card is the same right up to 5.19.9, which I tested last week, as well as 5.15.70. Having access to your archives I can test further back, if you wish.

It was the reason that I had great hopes that the ArchLinux post a few posts back now may have had a solution, as the patch for CA0132 (the Recon3D is one such board) was actually published in detail and the changelog at the time also indicated they committed that, and many other sound fixes to kernel 4.18 rc-1.

Best as always!

M

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 06:58:38 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 30, 2022, 02:02:42 am »
Hey Mark!!

Wow! That's super interesting! I guess it's not firmware load after all - as switching between two AOS partitions could not make the firmware load.

The patch you provided was interesting - but that code is from linux 4.18 - we're using linux 5.19.x code which would already include that code (or a later iteration of it).

Does it matter is you boot D: first then F: or f: first, then d:? What uniaud32 versions are in play on each partition? Just looking for clues..

Perhaps a log file from the 1st cold boot, then the 2nd warm boot where sound works. I'm not confident it will show anything, but who knows?

I'm also going to review my patches to patch_ca0132.c - ie from https://github.com/psmedley/uniaud32/commit/12e7ce146924b3e77056e75095e7b0a9a7571399 (I did an import of the netlabs SVN into github - it's easier to review code via the github gui, and it's also a backup)

With the surround speakers - I'm not surprised you have issues controlling volume - take a look at https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/browser/GPL/branches/uniaud32-exp/lib32/soundmixer.c#L398 and note the 'todo' comment. Adjusting the rear speakers is actually adjusting the overall mixer volume. I noticed this the other day looking at where I might be able to manipulate the 'auto mute' setting.

I'll be honest - I don't really understand how this code works - as I like to tell people, I'm not a programmer, I'm just a hacker :)

Cheers,

Paul

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 30, 2022, 02:44:59 am »
Heh Paul!

Hey Mark!!

Wow! That's super interesting! I guess it's not firmware load after all - as switching between two AOS partitions could not make the firmware load.

The patch you provided was interesting - but that code is from linux 4.18 - we're using linux 5.19.x code which would already include that code (or a later iteration of it).

Does it matter is you boot D: first then F: or f: first, then d:? What uniaud32 versions are in play on each partition? Just looking for clues..

Perhaps a log file from the 1st cold boot, then the 2nd warm boot where sound works. I'm not confident it will show anything, but who knows?

I'm also going to review my patches to patch_ca0132.c - ie from https://github.com/psmedley/uniaud32/commit/12e7ce146924b3e77056e75095e7b0a9a7571399 (I did an import of the netlabs SVN into github - it's easier to review code via the github gui, and it's also a backup)

With the surround speakers - I'm not surprised you have issues controlling volume - take a look at https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/browser/GPL/branches/uniaud32-exp/lib32/soundmixer.c#L398 and note the 'todo' comment. Adjusting the rear speakers is actually adjusting the overall mixer volume. I noticed this the other day looking at where I might be able to manipulate the 'auto mute' setting.

I'll be honest - I don't really understand how this code works - as I like to tell people, I'm not a programmer, I'm just a hacker :)

Cheers,

Paul

Your a hacker, not a programmer - I'm a troubleshooter, not a programmer - out of that may come great things or not, Sir <grin>

We're both asking the crazy questions, Paul - sometimes out of that may come interesting solutions.

Have never been the person to merely confirm - I want to know W-H-Y ...... because in the past lives have depended on it

A busy day where I accomplished a number of important things albeit minor, society wise, then our new statutory holiday and long weekend, in Canada - National Truth and Indigenous Reconciliation day tomorrow - probably will will not be much different than today  ???

Off for my ride - will see if I can provide any clues as to what is happening here later or tomorrow, after perusing your complete post and Best!

M

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 05:30:06 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 30, 2022, 04:28:51 am »
Updated the uniaud32-exp branch to the linux 5.19.12 code... https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.19.12-20220930.zip Pretty minor changes since 5.19.9 but always good to be on the latest code :)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 30, 2022, 02:50:55 pm »
Mark, everyone...

Heh Tom!

command prompt line for me to disable ......... unimix -id20 -val0=0

So the problem is indeed auto-mute being enabled for this chipset by default.

However still one little drawback to solve - I have to re-enable that every time I reboot warm or cold. Do you know of a way of setting unimix to automatically apply that fix upon reboot?

Just put that unimix command in the file startup.cmd , and it will be run every time you start your system.

I was thinking about that after I posted, but haven't worked much with Startup.CMD in the past - will have a look at that tonight or tomorrow.

But thanks for the tip and Best!

Mark

Tom's suggestion is a great one, you can take that a step further and basically control the FULL behaviour of the audio card as far as the various individual controls go.

Basically, manually adjust the controls to what you want them to be first. By the sounds of it you already know how to pull up the different values and set them up.

Once done, you then save the complete set of settings to a file:

'unimix -savesomefilename'

The very next time you want to restore ALL of these settings you execute:

'unimix -loadsomefilename'

I have that load statement in my startup.cmd, which is a super easy way to re-set all the controls to a pre-defined set of values.

This is how you can handle this particular settings, as well as any others that can be adjusted by referencing their ID. In my case, I have some 53 controllable IDs ('unimix -names').

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 30, 2022, 07:32:04 pm »
Paul, This driver release is working great. Just played an Eagles CD and it worked greatas far as sound goes. A little hang here and there on system sounds. But it doesn't crash the system and unlocks itself. Only when the mouse is involved.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #923 on: September 30, 2022, 10:09:37 pm »
https://smedley.id.au/tmp/uniaud32-linux-5.19.9-20220924.zip

Hi Paul

I tested it (Release version) with OS/2 Warp 4.52 (14.106) guest on VBox 6.1.38 (Windows 10 21H2 host).
- VM ICH AC97: Works, Audio control working, no traps.
- VM Intel HD Audio: Works, Audio control working, no traps.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 01, 2022, 04:11:37 am »
Hey Mark!!

I was knocked off the Internet today - more problems in the Maritimes obviously, so just replying tonight, my time.

In regards to this question, cold booting to D: then warm booting to F: produces sound on F:.

Cold booting to F; produces sound - Warm booting to D: from there, then back to F: produces no sound on F:

Perhaps I should have a look at that and test it, if its in your archive - I doubt it will tell us anything, but it never hurts to see if it was committed or not

If your talking about cold boot D: then F:, then cold boot f: to D: and back that can be done.

Perhaps the  rather long patch (over 3000 lines was not incorporated in full - I'm not sure if you can ascertain that, Sir.

Based on what I said here in March I did test it again - and the section in PMUnimix (Master Volume Control) was present, but did NOT change the sound volume - I guess you could say its seen but not heard.

So based on that it may be a red herring (yet more fish analogies) as I don't think anything is being vetted through PMUnimix - it just looks that way ........

Best!

M

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 01, 2022, 10:00:30 am »
hmmmmm interesting....

So cold boot to F: works..... what uniaud32 version is running there? and I assume D: is running the latest uniaud32....

How about a testlog from a cold boot on D: and a testlog from a cold boot on F:

If it used to work from a cold boot - surely we can fix it :)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 01, 2022, 08:10:43 pm »
Heh Paul!

hmmmmm interesting....

So cold boot to F: works..... what uniaud32 version is running there? and I assume D: is running the latest uniaud32....

How about a testlog from a cold boot on D: and a testlog from a cold boot on F:

If it used to work from a cold boot - surely we can fix it :)

All partitions are now running 5.19.12 20220930, which I tested today:

Manticore II

AD1988B - sound perfect
Recon 3D (ca0132) - sound perfect - both cold boot to F: directly, and warm boot from D: to F:

Hyperfire

ALC982 - sound perfect, as long as I disable auto-mute (Haven't got around to creating a command file yet
Xi-Fi Titanium - still no sound although 6 sound sections are present

I've attached two testlogs below:

The first is a testlog cold booting F: with the Recon3D
The second is a testlog of F:, cold booting to D: first, then doing a warm boot from there to F:

Both methods produce sound on the Recon 3D.

I'm not sure that providing a testlog of cold booting to D: will tell you much - while running the same version of UniAud32, that partition is running the latest version. with the AD1988 chipset.

Will edit this and attach that cold boot D: testlog a little later!
@Edit - Testlog Cold Boot D: now attached

M
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 08:21:22 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 02, 2022, 12:45:20 am »
Heh Eugene!

Paul, This driver release is working great. Just played an Eagles CD and it worked greatas far as sound goes. A little hang here and there on system sounds. But it doesn't crash the system and unlocks itself. Only when the mouse is involved.

Heard that Tropical Depression Ian was roaming through Virginia and West Virginia today - not a hurricane but still can blow over a few things - like whole trees and houses - and lost a friend as a result.

Hopefully not disrupting your life - just the emergency planner and responder in me and Best!

Mark
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:04:21 am by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 02, 2022, 01:02:19 am »
Heh Darisuz

Tom's suggestion is a great one, you can take that a step further and basically control the FULL behaviour of the audio card as far as the various individual controls go.

Basically, manually adjust the controls to what you want them to be first. By the sounds of it you already know how to pull up the different values and set them up.

Once done, you then save the complete set of settings to a file:

'unimix -savesomefilename'

The very next time you want to restore ALL of these settings you execute:

'unimix -loadsomefilename'

I have that load statement in my startup.cmd, which is a super easy way to re-set all the controls to a pre-defined set of values.

This is how you can handle this particular settings, as well as any others that can be adjusted by referencing their ID. In my case, I have some 53 controllable IDs ('unimix -names').

Will have a tilt at your suggestions - as I've said, I'm not a programmer so that is a great suggestion for me.

At the moment I've been assessing why the Sound Blaster Xi-Fi Titanium is not producing sound - I noted that it also had an "auto-mute" entry but so far, disabling auto-mute has done nothing, but maybe somthing else may twig ...............

Drifting between issues like this and winterizing my fountains and water features and helping Anne with cleaning our windows on the house and in the yard - Oct. 1 and 22 C today and sunny in Collingwood Cove - but could be snowing in a week or two ...........

Best as always, Sir!

M