Author Topic: DOS VDM and Win-OS2 Fans ?  (Read 10654 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: DOS VDM and Win-OS2 Fans ?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 04:39:46 pm »
This used computer for some reason came with a NVidea 7300 SE video card, which Snap supported, though uncertified. Everything worked, including seamless windows and DPMS running at 1680x1050.
Pulled the card and switched to Ivy Lake Graphics. Panorama displays a full screen DOS/Winos2 session fine and can go from full screen DOS to Windowed DOS, no DPMS (Panorama, along with SSDHELP.SYS, actually supported DPMS with the 7300, but not 1680x1050). Snap also works fine for Presentation Manager at 1680x1050 but full screen sessions lock the computer, even a full screen OS/2 session will lock the computer when typing exit. Things like the CAD screen do work but are faint. DPMS also works in this situation.
The Ivy Lake Graphics using the various VESA drivers is 10-20X faster then the old 7300 and Snap and Panorama are about the same speed.
So it seems to be a combination of driver and hardware with Panorama supporting full screen DOS where Snap doesn't.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 04:59:51 am »
Hi

Does anybody remembers/knows how to connect Win-OS2 to your local TCP/IP network? I want to use some old network games.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 06:44:48 am »
it's been a long time but Winos2 uses winsock.dll for TCP/IP, which is located in x:\tcpiip\dos\bin. Unluckily I can't remember the ini file entries to invoke it or of needed. I did find https://service5.boulder.ibm.com/pspsdocs.nsf/8d77653332b629ab862563cc005ee09a/0a4892ad3e10bf8486256509007205a3 perhaps just having it on your PATH is good enough? Winos2 is broken here (video driver) so can't test. Might need to edit stuff in x:\tcpip\dos\etc

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 11:19:50 am »
Did you try Multi-Protocol Transport Services: Configuration Guide? There is a lot of information in this help guide.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 03:02:07 pm »
Thanks, it is working now. It seemed I did something wrong with the autoexec.bat, but now I restore it. It works now.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 04:18:21 pm »
I am using AOS v 5.0.0 or 5.0.2 (don't remember which) with an ATI Radeon X600 in dual head  3840 x 1080  resolution on an ASUS motherboard with an AMD processor.  Win-OS2 works in all modes: full screen,  Win-os2 session, and seamless, although it took a little adjustment to get the seamless to start without a dialog box popping up.

I also have a Lenovo laptop with Intel core 3 running AOS where Win-OS2 does not work in any form. (Except I tried one of the unofficial fixes from AOS specific to another user and got it working for a few hours and then it stopped.)

Essential utilities:  I install Win32s 1.3 and then back-install Win32s 1.25a to get a couple programs that "require" win32s 1.3 to run - one of those being FrameMaker 5.5. The other utility I use is WinZombe to completely terminate seamless sessions that won't close properly. (I promised Martin to open source that and then decided to rewrite it so I wouldn't be embarassed  and then got distracted before finishing, but I will finish it and send it to you Martin.)

Programs: I use FrameMaker 5.1.1 on a regular basis because I am used to the program and there are some things it does (create a PDF with hyperlinks in the document) that I don't believe are available on an OS/2 program. I also use Lotus Improv v 2 which was never ported to a 32 bit version and is fantastic, ReportSmith v 2.5 (I cannot get v 3.0 to run in ODIN) for creating printed reports from a database, and Q+E/Intersolv database editor for viewing and editing data in databases.  There was a version of Q+E database editor for OS/2 and it still works but it was released before Q+E switched to using ODBC drivers and so it only works with the databases that Q+E wrote their own interfaces for, so I have to use the Win-OS2 versions to get at other databases.

Documentation for tuning:  The best I have found is RedBooks GG24-3731-00 "OS/2 Version 2.0, Volume 2: DOS and Windows Environment.  It is part of a 5 volume series that came out with OS/2 version 2 explaining how the operating system works.  (GG24-3730-00 Volume 1 Control Program, GG24-3732-00 volume 3  Presentation Manager and Workplace Shell,  GG24-3774-01 volume 4 Writing Appplications, GG24-3775-00 volume 5 Print Subsystem)

I have tried DosBox on the laptop as a WIn-OS2 substitute and sometimes Improv works and sometimes it does not.  The work-around that always works on the laptop for me is Improv running in Windows XP running in VBOX.

Reason why Win-OS2 is important:  1) applications. There are some Win16 programs that I use that were never ported, and some Win16 programs I use that have no OS/2 equivilent.  2) money,  I have tens of thousands of dollars I have spent on software that I don't want to spend again even if there is a new version available.