Author Topic: Installing Warp 3 issues  (Read 15469 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Installing Warp 3 issues
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 12:21:24 am »
Hi.
I love all the old stuff, except for the old hard drives and old noisy fans, so I try to replace them for modern equivalents.

I know that there are people that like to have old hardware exactly as it was available years ago (I watch LGR YouTubes), but I have a IDE-2-SDcard adapter on my old Aptiva and it is great and fast. Thanks to that the HDD no longer sound like a pop-corn machine anymore.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

djkoelkast

Re: Installing Warp 3 issues
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 06:02:48 pm »
Hi.
I love all the old stuff, except for the old hard drives and old noisy fans, so I try to replace them for modern equivalents.

I know that there are people that like to have old hardware exactly as it was available years ago (I watch LGR YouTubes), but I have a IDE-2-SDcard adapter on my old Aptiva and it is great and fast. Thanks to that the HDD no longer sound like a pop-corn machine anymore.

Regards

I also dislike CRT monitors except VGA CRT monitors. But for example the Commodore 1084S, which is loved by many, I can't stand the noise it makes! It's so loud (very high frequency constant beeping) it drives me crazy. So I tend to use either TFT tvs (small ones) or small TFT monitors that support the strange resolutions. It's not 100% accurate maybe, but it makes me happier.
So this also counts for most hard drives. I must admit that the sound of the hard drive that LGR had in his IBM video was gorgeous, the 20MB MFM one. I would use that if I had it. I also use the original harddisk in my PS/2 (and the original PS/2 mouse and Model M clicky keyboard and a 14" CRT VGA that doesn't beep), so yeah I do have them, but not everywhere.
If it's just IDE I replace them with an SSD that I convert to IDE. Works way better than CF (but the smallest one is 8GB so in this IBM 330 it doesn't work, that's why I tried CF).