Author Topic: WarpIn 1.0.23 - Where is it?  (Read 11255 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
WarpIn 1.0.23 - Where is it?
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:22:21 pm »
Hi

Do you guys know where is the WarpIn 1.0.23  Installer?
I can not find it to download it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
Re: WarpIn 1.0.23 - Where is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:22:06 pm »
In ArcaOS 5.0.5.

Greetings,
Sandra-Asja

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:07:44 pm »
Hi

I want to see if there is the stand alone installer available.
ArcaOS 5.0.2 does not has it, but ArcaOS 5.0.4 has it, so it was released to the public.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:38:19 pm »
ArcaOS 5.0.2 does not has it, but ArcaOS 5.0.4 has it, so it was released to the public.

No, it wasn't. WarpIn 1.0.22 is the newest that was released to the public: https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/archiver/warpin-1-0-22.zip. WarpIn 1.0.23 is a special build, used only to support updating WarpIn packages when using the update feature of the ArcaOS installer. It has not, yet, been released to the general public. There is nothing new in it for the general user anyway (which is why it hasn't been released), and most of the new stuff is undocumented.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:27:36 pm »
From memory: WarpIN was updated with a new switch for wic.exe by the original developer Paul. That new feature is for uninstalling a WarpIN package with ANPM. Also both previously added switches for wic.exe were for ANPM, added by Paul per request by AN - and roughly documented.

I hope, That's right. It's hard to verify that, because since the new Trac version on netlabs.org, the history from the second page on for a project is always blank. If you try to switch back to the first page, its contents is gone, too and it's hard to get that back. Don't try to reproduce that, unless you have a netlabs.org account or plan to get one.

If you have one, you need to keep one of them fresh and at least the first page working. Just use one of them to try it out, not both and use an unimportant project. Logging on and off gave me the contents of the first pages back. Better try it out when you're not logged in. Then a login suffices to get it back.

It's most likely a problem on this server only.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 04:10:40 pm »
Indeed, 1.0.23 is an "in-test" build which we are currently using in ArcaOS. The new wic functionality specifically deals with creating and parsing WPI repository files. Paul refreshed the 1.0.23 build for us last year, and the newer 1.0.23 should be the public release when he gets around to releasing it.

So, while WarpIN is surely GPL and both source and binaries freely downloadable and usable by all, I would still caution against posting the 1.0.23 build anywhere (for those who have access to it). Paul may want to update documentation or add some more fixes to the final package (I have no idea; we haven't really discussed it).

HTH

Oh, and for the curious:

Make Repository (-m): wic -m <mask> [-H<host path>]
    Writes all package versions for all archives in <mask>.
New Updates (-n): wic -n <filename>
    Writes archive names for out of date packages listed in <filename>.

We do some further massaging of the repository file after running wic -m to add MD5 sums and sizes for the packages in the list. The additional fields were confusing the parser when run from ANPM, where we use the -n option to find updated packages. This was the fix in the refresh from last fall.

Other than that, 1.0.23 should perform just like 1.0.22. When ANPM 1.1.0 is released, the WIS in it will specify 1.0.23 as the minimum WarpIN version, so we'll want to get to a public release of 1.0.23 (or later) before then.
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:40:02 pm »
In ArcaOS 5.0.5.

Greetings,
Sandra-Asja

Is ArcaOS 5.05 in testing?  The highest version I have is version 5.0.4.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 08:13:52 pm »
Hi, David...

Quoting from:

https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-support-maintenance-subscription-renewal-window-is-closing/

For a limited time, we are allowing all who have allowed their ArcaOS Support & Maintenance subscriptions to expire — no matter how long expired — to reinstate them at current prices…but this window is closing rapidly. Once ArcaOS 5.0.5 is released (and that release is imminent), current ArcaOS licensees who have let their subscriptions lapse for six months or more will have to pay more to have their subscriptions reinstated for another full year.

You should have received that via email.

My Warpstock Europe presentation yesterday also mentioned that we anticipate a release before the end of the month.
Lewis
Managing Member

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 10:36:19 pm »
Hi Lewis,

Does that email apply to those of us that renewed subscription at the end of 2019 since I thought the sub was for 12 months?

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 10:47:27 pm »
Hi, David...

Quoting from:

https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-support-maintenance-subscription-renewal-window-is-closing/

For a limited time, we are allowing all who have allowed their ArcaOS Support & Maintenance subscriptions to expire — no matter how long expired — to reinstate them at current prices…but this window is closing rapidly. Once ArcaOS 5.0.5 is released (and that release is imminent), current ArcaOS licensees who have let their subscriptions lapse for six months or more will have to pay more to have their subscriptions reinstated for another full year.

You should have received that via email.

My Warpstock Europe presentation yesterday also mentioned that we anticipate a release before the end of the month.

Hi Lewis.

I paid and should have had my maintenance subscription updated.  However, days later when I asked for iso image, I was sent the link to the 5.04 version.

David

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 11:01:38 pm »
Ivan: If your subscription is in force, then you have no rush. The point was for the folks who let their subscriptions lapse (think: early adopters, who purchased ArcaOS 5.0 in May of 2017 with six months included subscription and then never renewed). It's simply not fair to everyone who does renew on time to have people go three years and then re-up for another year at a fraction of the cost of a new license. Everyone else is funding development in the meantime. (And frankly, the vast majority of ArcaOS licensees do renew early or on time, probably because we continue to crank out new stuff and we work tirelessly to address trouble tickets. </shameless plug>)

David: That link is correct. There is no 5.0.5 available today. We plan on a release sometime this month, but that hasn't happened, yet. So, in the meantime, 5.0.4 is the current shipping release, and from your original order page, you may download a decent portion of the updates which have been released to date, but more stuff is coming in 5.0.5. I've been busy in the workshop today, hammering out the last few bumps (I hope; at least everyone else on the team has been waiting on me, today).  ;)

Cheers

Cheers
Lewis
Managing Member

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply Lewis.  My gratitude to you and your team for all the improvements you have been making to the ArcaOS.  Every version appears to be more stable than the previous one.   5.04 is the stablest I have seen so far out of any OS/2, eComstation, and ArcaOS version.  Looking forward to version 5.05.  I have a partition waiting for it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:22:14 pm by David Graser »

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 11:52:38 pm »
 :)

Thanks to you, too, David. We have a couple more of your outstanding icons in 5.0.5 (for the MozTurbo objects, at least, and probably a few more in other nooks and crannies). Your work is very much appreciated.
Lewis
Managing Member

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 07:25:47 am »
The point was for the folks who let their subscriptions lapse (think: early adopters, who purchased ArcaOS 5.0 in May of 2017 with six months included subscription and then never renewed). It's simply not fair to everyone who does renew on time to have people go three years and then re-up for another year at a fraction of the cost of a new license. Everyone else is funding development in the meantime. (And frankly, the vast majority of ArcaOS licensees do renew early or on time, probably because we continue to crank out new stuff and we work tirelessly to address trouble tickets. </shameless plug>)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
But I kind of don't like the sentiment of the above.
Don't get me wrong I appreciate everything you have done with ArcaOS Lewis and will keep updating my subscription to support the development.
But I don't think someone that buys arcaos 5.0 and stays with it is some kind of criminal. I mean they supported the OS by buying in the first place.
And, some people are happy to stay with older versions - such as if you are mainly running a legacy app and it can keep functioning fine and they are not needing to be as cutting edge.

Anyways, my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:28:43 am by David Kiley »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 09:54:06 pm »
But I kind of don't like the sentiment of the above.

To be quite frank, I don't like the sentiment that "others can pay for development, and I will jump in when I feel like it".

And, some people are happy to stay with older versions - such as if you are mainly running a legacy app and it can keep functioning fine and they are not needing to be as cutting edge.

If it works for you, use it. You had the free, timed, subscription with the initial license, and now you leave others to pay for the next stuff that you will, eventually, need. If you don't continue to support the project, why should they let you back in without a penalty? That isn't fair to those of us who do contribute.

It is all in your point of view.