OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Has anyone attempted to try a Raspberry PI PC wiht ArcaOS?

(1/2) > >>

David Hart:
Has anyone tried loading ArcaOS on a Raspberry PI?  I suppose it would need to be a 32 bit processor.  It  could be that some hardware components would not work but would be interesting to try.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I have a Raspberry PI, but I haven't try to run ArcaOS. ArcaOS will not run directly on a Raspberry PI since it is not an x86 processor. In theory it can be possible of having "QEMU" on the raspberry PI Linux and then it will boot some x86 OS emulated. But I really do not know how far can we get with it.

There are some reports of running Win95/98/XP on QEMU under Raspberry PI, we would require to read how it works that way and see if we can work to run some OS/2 there.

Regards

Sergey Posokhov:
There is a book "Write Great Code" by Randall Hyde which explains some differences between them (addressing modes, registers etc.)

Motorola 68k was the only CPU similar to Intel.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson:

--- Quote from: Sergey Posokhov on May 27, 2020, 01:18:59 pm ---Motorola 68k was the only CPU similar to Intel.

--- End quote ---

!!??? M68k is similar to an early VAX, not a x86.

If you mean they are both CISC, and not RISC, HA or VLIW, there is a boatload of CISC architectures out there ...

Sergey Posokhov:
Yes, CISC with a bit complex addressing modes.

The only way to run existing code over RISC is binary translation when one instruction expands to six instructions or more.
Then "jump forward" instructions will decrease CPU performance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version