Author Topic: ArcaOS panic  (Read 4023 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
ArcaOS panic
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:53:18 pm »
Greetings,

One of things I’m doing with my Arca install is putting my BBS from the 90’s back online.  However bbs access is now done by telnet rather than dialup. So I needed a way to get my bbs to listen for incoming telnet requests.  So I installed SIO and vmodem and never quite got it working, but the problem I have now is Arca won’t boot! Is there a way to get past this panick or am I hosed and looking at reinstall.? Please see pic

Regards,

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS panic
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:15:16 pm »
Hi Rick

The common thing in the boot process is,when the "OS/2 Square" shows up, use "Alt+F1" for the menu, or "Alt+F4" to go selecting one by one which things run from the config.sys.

If "Alt+F1" is working, go to the command line, and "tedit config.sys" and remove the driver that is producing the trap. I haven't use SIO in a long time, maybe there is some VSIO driver you need to REM out.

Or is it that you can not even get to the "Alt+F1" menu?

Regards
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:23:20 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:25 pm »
Yes, it is probably something with vsio causing the crash.  I'd boot to a command prompt and REM it out.

Also I'm not sure if you're using the original SIO or SIO2K (s2kv202 on hobbes).  The sio2k allows for a lot more virtual or real serial ports, if I recall you can set up as many as 256 serial ports with sio2k (either real or virtual) and turn all of those ports into telnet ports via vmodem.  It is tricky to get it set up and working, you'll have to use a configuration file for this, but it can be done.  I can recall years ago setting up a test Maximus BBS system with the potential for something like 25 incoming connections. 

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:12:52 am »
Greetings

Thank you for your help. When Arca comes up I hit alt f1 and it still continues on does not make it to any other prompt...

Ok I got it booted!!

Rick
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:21:33 am by Rick Smith »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:21:15 am »
You have to be quick right at the beginning of the boot when the square appears in the upper left.
Easier is to boot your ArcaOS install media and choose system management and edit your config.sys from there.